xx1 Alternatives

goodluck Phil danger

I've never had to maintain a front deraillieur in 12 years of competitive MTB racing. It's the most simple device in its design & operation which means there is VERY little to go wrong with it in any adverse conditions. Chainsuck is a function of poorly maintained & lubricated chains and chainrings. I also raced Sabie (and Dullstroom a couple of weeks before) on a well-used but well maintained 2x10 XT drivetrain and I never had one moments drivetrain admin. The only time I've ever had real problems with chainsuck was once in muddy conditions with a heavily worn small chainring and chain i.e. my fault.

You guys are looking for mix 'n match, boer-maak-'n-plan type solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist beyond your own lack of maintenance and preparation. Why the OP would want to swap a top quality drivetrain like XT for a DIY 1x9 is beyond me but hey if you think you're better off then great.

For the record I've also run a 1x9 in the past but concluded it was pointless with poor range giving you limited climbing ability AND limited top end. I'm much happier now with a single speed & my 2x10.

So what you are saying is that I will still (in some circumstances) get chainsuck even with a 1x setup?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What casette/ chainring combo did you use up mamba and mount moody? I'm not sure if I will get up there with my 32t and 11-36... :wacko:

I would also like to know, if other than a 42. I used a 22 front, 32 rear ratio on the Mamba. If I did not have a gear ratio in that order, I would have walked.

Is it possible to use a 11 speed chain with a 10 speed casette?

Shouldn't be a problem

What casette/ chainring combo did you use up mamba and mount moody? I'm not sure if I will get up there with my 32t and 11-36... :wacko:

I ride a carbon HT. For Sabie i ran a 30T Wolftooth upfront and my 11/42 rear cassette. I had no problems going up Mamba (did not stop once) and no problem up Mount moody (only had to get off in the beginning cause the guy in front spun out and had to dismount, leaving no space to get around. Got on again and rode up.)

I would struggle if I had a 32/36 set up.

So what you are saying is that I will still (in some circumstances) get chainsuck even with a 1x setup?

Chainsuck is when the chain is not released from the bottom of the chainring and is carried round as the crank rotates. This is obviously more likely on smaller chainrings due to the more acute angle the chain runs at which is part of the rationale for the 1x11 setup (but at least that offers some range unlike a 1x9 or 1x10 setup). But if the single chainring is worn and/damaged/dirty enough and the chain too, then yes you can get chainsuck on a 1x setup.

I ride a carbon HT. For Sabie i ran a 30T Wolftooth upfront and my 11/42 rear cassette. I had no problems going up Mamba (did not stop once) and no problem up Mount moody (only had to get off in the beginning cause the guy in front spun out and had to dismount, leaving no space to get around. Got on again and rode up.)

I would struggle if I had a 32/36 set up.

But on a fast section you will never keep up on flat or slightly downhill roads with only a 30:11 top gear.

Chainsuck is when the chain is not released from the bottom of the chainring and is carried round as the crank rotates. This is obviously more likely on smaller chainrings due to the more acute angle the chain runs at which is part of the rationale for the 1x11 setup (but at least that offers some range unlike a 1x9 or 1x10 setup). But if the single chainring is worn and/damaged/dirty enough and the chain too, then yes you can get chainsuck on a 1x setup.

A clutch derailleur will address chainsuck to a certain extent.

But on a fast section you will never keep up on flat or slightly downhill roads with only a 30:11 top gear.

I have ridden many marathons on a single speed rigid 29er, and I have ridden even more marathons and ultra's on various geared hardtails(26 & 29).

My times (ss vs geared) on these races with similar fitness were very close to each other. So much so that in wet conditions I would rather opt for the ss for reliability.

My opinion is that many (amateur) marathon riders burn their matches on the flat & fast sections while they are snorting and puffing trying to stay in the front pack. After the above mentioned exertion they NEED the granny(2x or 3x front) to go up the tough hills.

However on a ss or 1x setup(to a certain extent) you are forced to ride within yourself on the flats, which leaves a lot more in the tank for the tough climbs and technical sections.

The above is just my opinion and observation, so please don't take me to the cleaners in case your opinion differs.

I must agree with Brian Fantana!

I have found that by only having access to the 10 gears, I seem to conserve my energy in areas where I would normally push myself unnecessarily. This hasn't slowed me down at all but rather made my times faster.

FYI, I am running a Wolftooth 32T up front with a regular 11-36 cassette with a non clutch derailleur. No dropped chains

I must agree with Brian Fantana!

I have found that by only having access to the 10 gears, I seem to conserve my energy in areas where I would normally push myself unnecessarily. This hasn't slowed me down at all but rather made my times faster.

FYI, I am running a Wolftooth 32T up front with a regular 11-36 cassette with a non clutch derailleur. No dropped chains

So then do I go xo1 crank 30t or xx1 crank 28t, being a heavier rider at 85kg I am worried about the hills. But I have plenty of power on the flats. On a 1 x11 setup. Slightly off topic sorry.

What will your cadence be at 40km/h in a 30x11 combination? Has anyone done these calculations before?

And would I need a long cage rear der. if I replace the 36tooth rear with a 42?

that would be a cadence of 106.

My humble contribution.

Newbie rider, 1 year, 4000km in the saddle, a dozen races.

I commute to work and ride Table Mountain once or twice a week.

Alu Hardtail.

I switched from 2x10 XT to 1x10XT several months ago. 32t Raceface + 11-36 XT cassette.

Love it.

Tough on TM, but you shape up to it. The toughest climbs make you cry but not fail.

Limitations on the commute: 32-11 spins out at 40+.

Just rode the Argus MTB 55km. Climbs were ok, no issue. Generally faster than the pack. No issues on the flats in this race.

Going forward: 42t conversion at the back and 34t in the front to up the max speed. Hoping for Evobikes Shimano WT 42t to arrive soon.

Winning factor: simplicity. Big time.

My conclusion: it is the way the go for me and does not need to be expensive.

Cheers

SCD

So then do I go xo1 crank 30t or xx1 crank 28t, being a heavier rider at 85kg I am worried about the hills. But I have plenty of power on the flats. On a 1 x11 setup. Slightly off topic sorry.

Best option sounds like a 2x10 or 2x11(I suspect Shimano will launch them later this year). For a heavy rider that likes to power on the flats, 1x11 is not a good idea imo.

I would also like to know, if other than a 42. I used a 22 front, 32 rear ratio on the Mamba. If I did not have a gear ratio in that order, I would have walked.

Likewise. I am with Christie

I really cannot see the reasoning behind the 1x set-ups. I tried 2X10. I found it inadequate. 'Regressing' back to a 3x setup. 3X9 that is. (I tried the X0 10 speed setup. But the X0 9 speed was just better. IMO)

I just love the wide range it offers. I see 100 reasons why front derailleurs are diabolic on the internet. Many of these reasons are just 'copy and paste' reasons. Pro's with >22 hours of training/week ride 1X11. They have fat percentages in the single figure range. They say 1x11 is Heaven sent. So that is why 1X10 is ideal for Mr Weekend Worrier with 4 hours/week training? Mr Weekender with his BMI of 29.7 climbing 300m/week. :huh:

Maybe it is just that people don't really climb mountains? I see Fortuners (4x4) all around me. I see thousands of Discoveries. I see millions of 4x4 D/C bakkies. Why do these okes drive around on tarmac with these cars? Maybe they will need it when they go to Xai-xai. Engines that go faster uphill if you just step on the gas. And they take a looong time to get tired.

Back to the mtb okes. They need LESS gears. Mtb's that were built to go off road. To go anywhere. Powered by legs that tire and run out of steam. Sometimes rather quick.

Imo.