Steepest hills thread??

Mads

Anybody know or have done the route from N2 on the Grabouw side up to the radio mast on the Northern side of Sir Lowry's pass? It's a tar road as far as I can see all the way to the top. Is their an access gate you have to put your bike over and are we allowed to ride it?

Found the entry point to this road just as you come over Sir Lowrys pass to the left. There is no gate. It runs next to railway line and then crosses over into forest as a short dirt road. As it exits forest it becomes tar again and winds its way along the mountain all the way to the top. It looks brutal and way more than 10%. Cant find a Strava segment for it though.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone mention some of the roads in water kloof yet? I rode there the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Don't know the road names, I'll try and remember if I ride there again.

Found the entry point to this road just as you come over Sir Lowrys pass to the left. There is no gate. It runs next to railway line and then crosses over into forest as a short dirt road. As it exits forest it becomes tar again and winds its way along the mountain all the way to the top. It looks brutal and way more than 10%. Cant find a Strava segment for it though.

I think it might be this one

Hans se Kop

Ride Segment Grabouw, Western Cape, South Africa

• 4.2km
    Distance
  • 12%
    Avg Grade
  • 625m
    Lowest Elev
  • 1,133m
    Highest Elev
  • 508m
    Elev Difference

• Climb Category
    24 Attempts By 22 People

Hans se Kop

• 4.2km
    Distance
  • 12%
    Avg Grade
  • 625m
    Lowest Elev
  • 1,133m
    Highest Elev
  • 508m
    Elev Difference

• Climb Category
    24 Attempts By 22 People

Wow!

Awesome gem of a climb

Hans se Kop

• 4.2km
    Distance
  • 12%
    Avg Grade
  • 625m
    Lowest Elev
  • 1,133m
    Highest Elev
  • 508m
    Elev Difference

• Climb Category
    24 Attempts By 22 People

Looks like a 'I gotto try that' climb. Now just to get over sir Lowrey's without getting killed...

Edited by Maniax

Looks like a 'I gotto try that' climb. Now just to get over sir Lowrey's without getting killed...

That descent must be helluva fast...

:-O

Hans se Kop

• 4.2km
    Distance
  • 12%
    Avg Grade
  • 625m
    Lowest Elev
  • 1,133m
    Highest Elev
  • 508m
    Elev Difference

• Climb Category
    24 Attempts By 22 People

Thanks Mads. I think it is that one. Not many attempts, I wonder why. If thats the average gradient I can just imagine what the maximum is on some parts.

Dasklip pass near Porterville is quite nice. 6.6km, 7.1%. The first 2km is quite tame and even drops here and there , so the remaining 5km is well over 7%.

Then there is the climb to the masts above Kanonkop. 6.3km @ 9% but this is off-road. on Strava it is called 'Walter se berg'

huh?? Someone go underground on a mine here? Or in a plane of sorts??? How is this possible?

Kareiga Street Climb

Ride Segment Carletonville, GP, South Africa

• 10.3km
    Distance
  • 12%
    Avg Grade
  • 1,930m
    Lowest Elev
  • 3,194m
    Highest Elev
  • 1,264m
    Elev Difference

• Climb Category
    No Attempts

http://www.strava.com/segments/4356571

Edited by Tubehunter

so did you give it a bit of a go? that last bit looks utterly brutal given the context of the bottom climb. uuurgh. i feel like puking just contemplating it...

• 1 year later...

How does the taal monument climb compare to vissers hok?

Its the hill climb thing this coming weekend. Have been doing easier grades uptill now. Tiekie draai, Malans Hoogte ens...

https://www.strava.com/segments/4498896

http://www.strava.com/segments/3232703

Very similar challenge I think, interesting to compare.

Vissershok last km & Taalmonument both 9% average, but Taalmonument probably more an "even" 9% climb where Vissershok has that very steep bit in the middle (and a 2km gradual climb that softens you up before you get to the actual steep climb)

Its the hill climb thing this coming weekend. Have been doing easier grades uptill now. Tiekie draai, Malans Hoogte ens...

vissers hok is short but steep. Taal in the beggining has a nice kick to start with but then settles to something like Malans. The idea here is to find a rythm for the first 500m of the climb, it flattens slightly then you kick hard all the way to the top...well thats my theory anyway