The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Braamfontein Spruit.

I've only run from Emmarentia as far North as Parkmore, but it keeps going up to top of Rivonia.

There's only really one route so it too gets a bit boring.

it is one route and can get boring but you can mix and match, I find adding Northcliff and Alberts Farm and parts of Bryanston add some elevation as well...

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if we split some content from 'Cyclists with a "Running" Problem' cyclists won't get so bleak come year end stats.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys aware of anything around Arfican-X?

I was planning on doing it last year, was not impressed with the route and location change idea but is contemplating it for this year. Finding no info about it on Stillwater website - didn't they use to host this? Or have I missed something?

I was planning on doing it last year, was not impressed with the route and location change idea but is contemplating it for this year. Finding no info about it on Stillwater website - didn't they use to host this? Or have I missed something?

I heard a nasty rumor that it’s cancelled due to sponsorship issues? Also didn’t see it on the WPA calender?

I see Ryan Sandes is in NZ for the Tarawera Ultra. Crazy beautiful looking run. 

Jeff Browning, Courtney Dauwalter also in 100km

Camille Herron was signed up for 100 mile but I also see she was in an accident, hopefully she shakes it off. I suspect she will.

I heard a nasty rumor that it’s cancelled due to sponsorship issues? Also didn’t see it on the WPA calender?

I think the answer is here, and there are 10m problems

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/153485-athletics/?p=3449154

but not great when they just go silent on cancelling a race.

Seemed like a ridiculous moneyspinner when i did it

As opposed to road running where time matters most and you need to monitor your splits, how do you guys have your watches set to 'alert' for trail? 

I used to have the usual 1km distance beep, but it got irritating, I've since tried at 5kms intervals for the last while, but now I'm thinking maybe to try a timed alert like 20 or 30 mins, so I can be reminded to eat /drink or something like that.

The beep is the first thing I turn off when I get a watch. Set mine on vibrate and that's it. I hate those beeps. But I tend to keep it at 1k and if I really care I look and see. More often than not the distance rather than the split time! 

Day after Red Hill I went up the mountain with a friend and we said - we better not tell the roadies we just did our first 3 k's in 45 min's! 

Will definitely be there! Bummed that it's (again) on the same weekend as the Cape Town Tri, but it is what it is. Presume I'm one of the few that had to choose between the two!