Epic too easy?

jaaki

I READ SOMEWHERE ABOUT HOW MANY GRANNY AND OUPAS DONE THE EPIC THIS YEAR HIGHEST EVER, :ph34r: :ph34r: :whistling: :whistling:

Does not make me feel any better, they usually beat me anyway. :blush:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DIPSLICK is correct, week = 7 days

£wakeup

So if your mates training week is Monday to Sunday and not Monday to Friday with weekend hours included, I call BS. on your story.

So if your mates training week is Monday to Sunday and not Monday to Friday with weekend hours included, I call BS. on your story.

WHY????????

WHERE DID YOU STUDY, WHAT DEGREES,DIPLOMA DO YOU HAVE IN FITNESS TRAINING, COURSES MAYBE THAT YOU BEEN ON????

Edited by DIPSLICK

I think I am gonna apply to volunteer for next year's Epic to check things out from close. I know it costs money, but it will be a week away from work. No contest.

Are you not always talking about "jeans"?

6 to 8 hrs a week is very little training! then he must be a serious endurance athlete! i will never sleep going into the epic with that amount of training.

YOU ALWAYS CALL FOR FACTS!!!!!!!,,,,,WHY IS THIS A FACT??????

YOU ALWAYS CALL FOR FACTS!!!!!!!,,,,,WHY IS THIS A FACT??????

Simple, he can give us his tjomma's name and we can go and verify the facts.

Simple, he can give us his tjomma's name and we can go and verify the facts.

THATS NOT THE QUESTION, THE QUESTION IS ...........IS IT A FACT THAT ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO THE EPIC ON SO MANY HOURS TRAINING

THATS NOT THE QUESTION, THE QUESTION IS ...........IS IT A FACT THAT ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO THE EPIC ON SO MANY HOURS TRAINING

Not impossible, but he would at least have done a mass of endurance events prior to that.

The math is not that difficult.

6-8 hours a week (7 days) to 8-9 hours for 7 days, not impossible ,but plain stupid unless he has a long history.

Naah - those old routes were just as tough, but they also had long district roads.

I don't think I have ever walked up so many hills as I did in 2007 and 2008. If anything, the route these days is more ridable because the organisers have options. Back then there was one route, and tough luck if you couldn't ride it. Nowadays they can take us on tough and challenging routes, that are technically tough, but completely ridable.

The Epic has got easier, from an off-the-bike perspective. Back in the day, the second you crossed the line the real work began. Find food, clean bike, fix bike, wash kit etc. Now they wash your bike for, give you food, there is a chill zone, meals are better etc.

And riding for two days in crappy weather certainly can't be easy!

YEha i recall pulling into Riversdale 2005, end of day 3 and had to go and find lunch. None was provided. Cleaned my bike, lubed the chain, showered and rode into town to order pizza. Then you could sleep. wake up 6pm for for dinner and thereafter head off in the dark to find your physio parked in a camp site somewhere. walk back to race village, find tent and go sleep. Wake up at 5 , **** shower shave, head off to breakfast, PACK YORU OWN BAG, carry the heavy MF to the truck yourself (and we had basically a whole groupset in that numbered race bag sans rims and new frame (they couldn't fit, i tried).

Its a lot easier from many perspectives but also more enjoyable I guess since theres more real mountainbiking. THe 2008 edition was the biggest OF Epic of them all. High temps the first few days meant the medics tent was low on saline drips and urine test kits.All the stages were long and lots of climbing everyday. I think it 966km over the 9 days and nearly 19,000m climbing in total

Food was mostly awful so a lot of riders were getting loved one to bring them dinner. From 2009 all of this improved leaps and bounds

Edited by GoLefty!!

I'm siding on WE side here... not because its impossible, just highly unlikely and especially because of:

THE #1 rule of training with your mates = NEVER believe your mates when they say "I only did ....km's or ....hrs training"