CAPE EPIC - 29er vs 27.5

Fabian46

As a Newbie to thehubsa, you might not know that today is Fight Club Friday (Happens every Friday)

hahahhaha....im bleeding and u only telling me now!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairy, don't forget how important the tyre tread pattern and chain lube brand are as well. When you factor those in, Nino and Phil clearly have an advantage - They are like Honey Badgers on White Lightening out there.

Don't forget about their special foam grips.

Didnt Absalon recently change to 29r? I actually remember him riding a 29r in one of the later UCI races last year.

Buys and Schurter have done really well, probably because of the slightly shorter routes and more technical sections.

XC at Cascades is crazy technical, if not more technical then some of the route during the Epic, I could be wrong though.

Funny that we always say it`s the rider not the bike. I disagree. Go ask Sauser, and he will tell you equipment plays a very important role in mtb racing. I heard him say this in an interview. At the pro level every second counts and you can not win on a Game special bike. At that level every little thing counts.

Funny that we always say it`s the rider not the bike. I disagree. Go ask Sauser, and he will tell you equipment plays a very important role in mtb racing. I heard him say this in an interview. At the pro level every second counts and you can not win on a Game special bike. At that level every little thing counts.

He gets paid to say whatever the market demand is or rather whatever the flavour of the month is.

Don't get me wrong he will ride the crap out of me even if he is on a unicycle but come on don't get fooled into al the equipment hype. Its NOT about the bike. Its all about the ability of the rider.

Peace :thumbup:

He gets paid to say whatever the market demand is or rather whatever the flavour of the month is.

Don't get me wrong he will ride the crap out of me even if he is on a unicycle but come on don't get fooled into al the equipment hype. Its NOT about the bike. Its all about the ability of the rider.

Peace :thumbup:

Not 100% correct. Rider ability has a overwhelming contribution to the success of a rider / bike combo, on condition that it is a fairly decent bike.

A so so cyclist on a top end bike (where everything works as intended and does not break down around every corner) will give a top level cyclist a hard time if the top level guy is on a Game special where the brakes does not brake, the gears does not shift, the fork does not absorb bumps, the wheels buckle, it weighs a ton, etc. You get my drift.

But put both guys on the same quality bike, the talent will quickly shine through and take the day.

If it is so not about the bike / equipment, why then are we spending on SR EPS ,Di2 or XX1, Trek, Pina ,Colnago etc,etc, :eek:

Why not use the $$$$ and have the fat removed and make us lighter, or spend the $$$$ with Doctor Ferrari to makes us faster :ph34r: .

its a lot got to do with the bike / equipment. just ask the guys who had to pay premium for repairs the last few days. :thumbdown:

Not 100% correct. Rider ability has a overwhelming contribution to the success of a rider / bike combo, on condition that it is a fairly decent bike.

A so so cyclist on a top end bike (where everything works as intended and does not break down around every corner) will give a top level cyclist a hard time if the top level guy is on a Game special where the brakes does not brake, the gears does not shift, the fork does not absorb bumps, the wheels buckle, it weighs a ton, etc. You get my drift.

But put both guys on the same quality bike, the talent will quickly shine through and take the day.

Im with you Wannabe but was not even thinking in terms of Makro special bikes when making that comment. I still compare apples with apples at the end of the day :P

This isn't about who is on a Game special vs an S Works, merely the wheel size. Perhaps I could have been clearer. Whether Shurter is on a quality sixer/650/700, he would still have come second today and teh chaps that won would still have won.

Im with you Wannabe but was not even thinking in terms of Makro special bikes when making that comment. I still compare apples with apples at the end of the day :P

Just being pedantic..... :whistling:

Late on a Friday, it's pay day and I'm waiting for the clock to run down to "go home time" which is in 10 minutes.

Edited by Wannabe

If it is so not about the bike / equipment, why then are we spending on SR EPS ,Di2 or XX1, Trek, Pina ,Colnago etc,etc, :eek:

Why not use the $$$$ and have the fat removed and make us lighter, or spend the $$$$ with Doctor Ferrari to makes us faster :ph34r: .

its a lot got to do with the bike / equipment. just ask the guys who had to pay premium for repairs the last few days. :thumbdown:

Cause we are like magpies...we like shiny fings

Sorry .... this post has too many roadie connotations to be taken seriously on a MTB thread.

Well exactly... Hype.

How about this, which bike will you go faster for the same amount of money spent? 26er!! Because they so cheap you can get a great spec bike for the equivalent of a makcro 29er.

The point is, the pros aren't on makro bikes, they on top quality bikes. And they will do we on any top end bike, be it 26er, 27.5 of 29er.

But they don't just get paid to win, they get paid to sell bikes. So they say what they are told to say.

There was a video a while ago about a pro rider swapping bikes with a postal service worker..... and the postman won going up a hill...