ABSA Cape Epic 2015

Sasquatch

@AbsaCapeEpic: RACE 9:02 Gap to @AfricanMTBteam 4 min.Long way to go so they'll hope to hold it till 90km. Then they'll have a real chance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAcUVrTXEAA_dPG.jpg

Team RECM: Leading Women team of @AnnikaLangvad and @arianekleinhans powering thru, I get goosebumps watching. "

Can I ask the guys embedding tweets to please just cut and paste updates rather.  For those of us with social media blocked all we see is that there is an embedded tweet.

I will try take over a little later when i can jump on my 3G

MOD NOTE:

Can everyone posting updates take note of this.

It will help lots of people wanting to follow via the hub.

Talking about function over form, Team Bulls have had virtually no mechanical issues during all their very successful years at Epic and yet make no effort to market the brand in South Africa unlike Specialized who have captured a fair size of the market at Epic and in ZA. Any reason?

good point... 

maybe it's in the name and they don't think it is a marketable product in SA?

I for one, as a Stormers supporter, would not be found dead on a Bulls bike!

(all said with my tongue firmly in cheek)

CAcWRiAWMAAwR4f.jpg

Absa Cape Epic: What's that coming over the hill, is it @PhilBuys ? #scott2luvit

Johan Badenhorst: The boys from @africaMTBteam are giving it horns. The chasing pack is 4 mins down. Can they hold out. 50km to go #absacapeepic

From the pictures it looks like the Scott boys are doing a good job of sharing the pace making. Go Phil

To post pics from twitter. Just right click on image and copy link location. In the hub post click  on the image button and paste the url.  Sometimes you need to delete the :Large part at the end of the url so that it ends off with .png or .jpg.

PM me if you not coming right.

Appreciate everyone chipping in to keeping us updated!

At least I'm not the only one who gets off to push!

Instagram: Mr Tread Yesterday :D

10955376_664409940354812_1855171994_n.jp

mr_tread: After 93km of today's 128km @absacapeepic stage, we hit thick sand for about 1.5km. Most tried to ride it, but all failed. Here my teammate @jerusalemjet accepts the inevitable. The guy next to him stopped a moment later. I heard swearing in about 12 different languages from riders of different nationalities in this little piece of hell. All I could do was repeat 'Assassins!' at the organisers. It made the stage, which was hot and windy and long, that much more difficult. But that's part of the character of this race and it shouldn't really be changed. We started easy to see how Issy's cracked rib would be. He had discomfort over the rough stuff, but switched on the afterburners on the gravel roads and (welcome) bits of tar. Probably our best day yet! Thanks to @mrs_tread for her world class, relentless support here. We don't race like pro's but we feel like pro's...

@AbsaCapeEpic: RACE 9:31 @AfricanMTBteam crest a steep rise at 60km mark with 4:30 advantage over Topeak 1&2 Investec Merida Bulls ReCM. USN - EAI hurting.

Talking about function over form, Team Bulls have had virtually no mechanical issues during all their very successful years at Epic and yet make no effort to market the brand in South Africa unlike Specialized who have captured a fair size of the market at Epic and in ZA. Any reason?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are probably bike shops that sell more Spaz than our entire market. Maybe a little over stated (Help us out Wyatt). Spaz have been a marketing machine pushing all over the globe. The Germans know that their bikes will only sell North of the Jukskei, a market too small for them surely.

Instagram: Mr Tread Yesterday :D

10955376_664409940354812_1855171994_n.jp

mr_tread: After 93km of today's 128km @absacapeepic stage, we hit thick sand for about 1.5km. Most tried to ride it, but all failed. Here my teammate @jerusalemjet accepts the inevitable. The guy next to him stopped a moment later. I heard swearing in about 12 different languages from riders of different nationalities in this little piece of hell. All I could do was repeat 'Assassins!' at the organisers. It made the stage, which was hot and windy and long, that much more difficult. But that's part of the character of this race and it shouldn't really be changed. We started easy to see how Issy's cracked rib would be. He had discomfort over the rough stuff, but switched on the afterburners on the gravel roads and (welcome) bits of tar. Probably our best day yet! Thanks to @mrs_tread for her world class, relentless support here. We don't race like pro's but we feel like pro's...

He is an absolute machine with awesome skills!!!

Sean Badenhorst @Mr_TREAD · Mar 17

Thanks! Cool pic! “@TheOtheMichaelJ: @Mr_TREAD Great ride today! Love the race-face! #absacapeepic photo: @lensmansa ”

CAT6TdlXEAENWqj.jpg

post-4329-0-09210200-1426751441_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-58672500-1426751454_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-40254700-1426751469_thumb.jpg

lengthy descent period ahead for the lead teams before they tackle the last three climbs

68 down, 43 to go

CAcUVrTXEAA_dPG.jpg

Team RECM: Leading Women team of @AnnikaLangvad and @arianekleinhans powering thru, I get goosebumps watching. "

I might have fallen in love with Langvad... :blush:  :wub:

Absa Cape Epic RACE 9:50 @SasolSA @TeamRECM Women are totally in charge again. Gap is massive.

CAcd8RVWUAAzD3w.jpg

Absa Cape Epic The leading riders are expected at WP3, situated in the Karoo National Botanical Gardens, within approximately 30min!

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are probably bike shops that sell more Spaz than our entire market. Maybe a little over stated (Help us out Wyatt). Spaz have been a marketing machine pushing all over the globe. The Germans know that their bikes will only sell North of the Jukskei, a market too small for them surely.

Bulls bikes are very popular in Germany. The few days I spent racing and riding Germany I realized how popular they are over there. Also you realize the marketing impact the Epic has when you are in Europe. Everything is advertised with the epic logo and back drop.

Just my observations from the little bit of time spent cycling in a small part of Europe.

Archived