ABSA Cape Epic 2015

Sasquatch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was up with Evans and Knox? If I did not know they entered I never would have guessed

In 3 years he's gone from team owner and being in a position to pick and chose team mates and equipment, to gratefully accepting Brandon Steward's olive branch to being out in the cold and working in his bike shop for a living. It would have been a great comeback if he could have managed to contend for the African jersey.

In 3 years he's gone from team owner and being in a position to pick and chose team mates and equipment, to gratefully accepting Brandon Steward's olive branch to being out in the cold and working in his bike shop for a living. It would have been a great comeback if he could have managed to contend for the African jersey.

Knox and Evans weren't even close. They simply aren't in the same league as the rest of the African contenders. No wonder they're living off scraps.

Knox and Evans weren't even close. They simply aren't in the same league as the rest of the African contenders. No wonder they're living off scraps.

many look at Sauser and think 'why retire? You are still dominating the event'. Evans came very close on a few occasions but could not quite get there. Now he has to come back with lowered ambitions and make do. I guess its easier to call it a day if you've accomplished what you set out to do. I personally am very excited about the crop of young riders in the African jersey category this year. I also feel a bit for Kevin.

I personally feel very sorry for Kevin. Both teams that folded around him wasn't his doing at all. Then he also had some health issues and never managed to really get back to his best after that. And now time is not really on his side. There is no way that I can see him riding for one of the top teams again, not with the amount of young talented riders out there at the moment. 

I personally feel very sorry for Kevin. Both teams that folded around him wasn't his doing at all. Then he also had some health issues and never managed to really get back to his best after that. And now time is not really on his side. There is no way that I can see him riding for one of the top teams again, not with the amount of young talented riders out there at the moment. 

Yep, seems he got a raw deal from life in the past few years. Doesn't feel that long ago that he was dominating the local mtb scene with Burry. Really thought he & Max would challenge for the African jersey at least given it is there second year together. But it appears unlike Suzy's powers which very slowly fades with age, his completely disappeared!

In fact, we can look forward to some excellent MTBers coming through the ranks in the next 10 years, thanks to the initiatives by Spur to grow the sport at school level.  Some of these have progressed to XCO and are doing very well.  Kevin could think of forming a team himself as team manager with cooperation from a sponsor and then to go talent scouting for some of these riders and to coach them into world class riders.

Archived