Sani2C Noob asking for advice

Oxter

Good Day Hubbers

I am one of those people that like to plan ahead and think of certain scenarios so when it happens I can deal with it quickly and efficiently, in contrast I also like the unknown and the challenges it presents sometimes. I do however feel that I’ve spent the money and put in the training hours (we’ll only see if it was enough when I get there I guess) and really just want to go and enjoy myself. It is because of this that I need some advice, tips and tricks or anything related as this will be my first real stage race (the kind that you sleep over in a tent somewhere and don’t have the comforts of your own home) and needles to say my first Sani.

My first question is basically what to pack.

My List:

Extras: Newspaper (for shoes to absorb moisture)

Ziplocks/ garbage bags (To keep the stuff dry that needs to be dry and to keep the stuff that is wet away from the rest)

Portable Charger

Petzl Light

Leatherman

Mosquito spray (they love me and I usually act as peaceful sleep to anybody close to me)

Cleaning kit (chain cleaner, brush, lube)

Derailleur Hanger (I’ve bent my before and basically converted my bike to a ss)

Brake Pads

CO2 Cartridges + Valve

1x tube

Tyre lever

Tyre Plugs

No tubes liquid

Cable ties

Duct tape

Master Link

Multi tool

Basic first aid kit

Bike Lock?

Clothes:

3x bibs, shirts, socks, buff

2x gloves

Arm, leg warmers

1x rain jacket

Toiletries

Pillow

Sleeping bag

Chammy towel

Shoes

Helmet

Clothes for after race

Sunglasses

2) What tyre combinations to you guys fit for this race (front and rear)

3) Regarding nutrition, what do I have to take with me and what is supplied. What do they usually supply at the WP and before the start every morning? Obviously I’ll take whatever I need to put in my own bottle etc.

4) What do you get in the goody bag?

5) Do I need to pack a pump etc. or would there be facilities?

6) I take it there will be tech stations at the WP’s, but do they offer you lube or something like that or do I have to carry my own during the race as well?

7) Does anyone have advice on using a GoPro during this event? Handlebars or Chesty? Do you buy an extra SD card or where do you download your stuff to make space for the next day. What settings works best? Etc.

That’s all I’ve got time for now, but more questions might follow

Thanks in advance

Edited by Killer_Bean

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Day Hubbers

I am one of those people that like to plan ahead and think of certain scenarios so when it happens I can deal with it quickly and efficiently, in contrast I also like the unknown and the challenges it presents sometimes. I do however feel that I’ve spent the money and put in the training hours (we’ll only see if it was enough when I get there I guess) and really just want to go and enjoy myself. It is because of this that I need some advice, tips and tricks or anything related as this will be my first real stage race (the kind that you sleep over in a tent somewhere and don’t have the comforts of your own home) and needles to say my first Sani.

My first question is basically what to pack.

My List:

Extras: Newspaper (for shoes to absorb moisture) Yes, easy to pack and carry!

Ziplocks/ garbage bags (To keep the stuff dry that needs to be dry and to keep the stuff that is wet away from the rest) - definitely!

Portable Charger - if you dont want to queue for your phone to charge or bring a power brick

Petzl Light - yes keep your hands free

Leatherman - not really - take the tools you need for your bike - multi tool is enough

Mosquito spray (they love me and I usually act as peaceful sleep to anybody close to me) - rather the skin application one

Cleaning kit (chain cleaner, brush, lube) - yes with your toolkit

Derailleur Hanger (I’ve bent my before and basically converted my bike to a ss) - yes

Brake Pads - at least one pair - should be in your saddle bag

CO2 Cartridges + Valve - one for you and one for your partner but only one valve

1x tube - yes

Tyre lever - one pair btw the two

Tyre Plugs - yes

No tubes liquid - small bottle

Cable ties - yes

Duct tape - cable ties should suffice

Master Link - yes

Multi tool - yes one btw you

Basic first aid kit - yes

Bike Lock?- no

Clothes:

3x bibs, shirts, socks, buff - yes

2x gloves - yes

Arm, leg warmers - yes

1x rain jacket - yes

Toiletries - yes

Pillow - yes

Sleeping bag - yes

Chammy towel - yes

Shoes - slops

Helmet - yes

Clothes for after race - shorts, t-shirt and warm top for evenings

Sunglasses - yes

2) What tyre combinations to you guys fit for this race (front and rear) F= Nobby Nic, R= Race King

3) Regarding nutrition, what do I have to take with me and what is supplied. What do they usually supply at the WP and before the start every morning? Obviously I’ll take whatever I need to put in my own bottle etc. Just take your bottle nutrition - you will eat all you want in between

4) What do you get in the goody bag? - changes each year, but there will be water bottles

5) Do I need to pack a pump etc. or would there be facilities? you can always borrow one

6) I take it there will be tech stations at the WP’s, but do they offer you lube or something like that or do I have to carry my own during the race as well? - you can get lube and tech en route but take the small squirt bottle

7) Does anyone have advice on using a GoPro during this event? Handlebars or Chesty? Do you buy an extra SD card or where do you download your stuff to make space for the next day. What settings works best? Etc.

If you have it then use it bar mount is better in my opinion

That’s all I’ve got time for now, but more questions might follow

Thanks in advance

I'm also playing with the GoPro idea. I like to run it on my helmet, but that's not allowed anymore. Although, Sani2c is usually not too strict on these "negligible" type of things. Will probably have a bar mount as well and switch between the two if possible.

There are charging stations where you can charge your GoPro (at your own risk - although it's been pretty safe in the past) but I'd suggest taking another SD card. Unless you want to lugg a laptop around...

And be prepared for all kinds of weather. I've done Sani where Day 1 was bitterly cold and Day 2 sweltering towards the afternoon.

And don't forget your sleeping bag!

only 1 tube ?

how about 3 tubes, one for each day ?

or maybe 6 tubes, one for each day for you and one for your partner.....

Your list looks fine. Sani is not a rough ride and there are plenty suppliers hanging around if you do need to buy stuff.

I use maxxis monorail front and crossmark rear. Don't stress about tyres - just choose something that is reasonably easy rolling.

The only real challenge that can confuse things is if it rains - then you may need the extra brake pads / wish you had slightly more aggressive tyres, but now that the race is in May, in theory this is less of a risk.

I take less and less each year. Just make sure your tyres/sealant are in good nick, have a good condition granny/middle ring / chain to make sure you don't have chainsuck and you're pretty much there.

The rest you can make up as you go along.

Did my 1st Sani last year.

from my experience I'd recommend...

Valoid and Imodium.

It's just not fun anymore when you have to ride days 2 & 3 on a few hours sleep, a banana or 2 for breakfast, and the ability to only hold down water and a few sips of coke (32GI resulted in instant gagging. And I lost my nandos at the top of "Push of a climb").

But I finished, and looking back it was awesome (even though I felt like dying en route)

Enjoy it!

only 1 tube ?

how about 3 tubes, one for each day ?

or maybe 6 tubes, one for each day for you and one for your partner.....

Dont want to carry to much around, if i need another tube i can purchase it there from supliers

Thanks guys

Oh... my sani partner may come on here and tell everyone how I had so much stuff with me that I couldn't fit it all in the designated trunks, so I had to put some of it in theirs. :ph34r:

If so, don't listen to them...

it's all a lie! :lol:

Did my 1st Sani last year.

from my experience I'd recommend...

Valoid and Imodium.

It's just not fun anymore when you have to ride days 2 & 3 on a few hours sleep, a banana or 2 for breakfast, and the ability to only hold down water and a few sips of coke (32GI resulted in instant gagging. And I lost my nandos at the top of "Push of a climb").

But I finished, and looking back it was awesome (even though I felt like dying en route)

Enjoy it!

Ja, what he said.

Pay some attention to hygiene - in terms of washing your hands etc. I've not been bust by the gyppo's yet (touch wood) but when I'm using common facilities used by those that do have gyppo's I go a bit out of my way to try and make sure I don't get it. *Ahem - your friendly health advisory over*

I think the one year people got it from where they stayed before the race, and another year I'm not sure where it came from - but I ate the food and didn't get it, so it wasn't that (as far as I know).

Dont want to carry to much around, if i need another tube i can purchase it there from supliers

Thanks guys

then best you add the credit card to that list, other wise just pack tubes into the box they supply you with and take two with each day.

How do you know when you ask for advise on the hub, you're not speaking to this guy?......post-24958-0-43643200-1396596029_thumb.jpg

Umbrella! Don't forget your umbrella...