Cycle Lab - Rave - Long read but worth it

madmarc

I've never been a fan of Cycle Lab, the few times i went there I always found them expensive, crappy service and crappy attitude, unless you were part of the crew type of thing.

Since the big takeover and new store i've given them a shot and all i can say is WOW!!!! what a change.

1st experience.

A mate and his wife wanted MTB's they were complete beginners, so i helped them look for some entry to mid level bikes. We shopped around for 3 weekends, went to all the shops and selected some deals they could decide on. On the 3rd Sat, i suggested we give Cycle lab a try and see what they could offer as we were in the area. From the minute we walked in we got helped, sales staff knew what they were talking about, spent nearly 2 hours presenting different deals. eventually settling on 2 bikes 3K cheaper each than anyone else had quoted with better components. insisted they do the set up before they could take the bikes. When they went to collect them they were ready as promised. total deal came to about 26K.

2nd experience

Was going to buy a new rear shock and decided on a Rockshox Monarch RT3 so phoned every shop i could for pricing, even went on line with local and overseas. Once again the last shop i phoned was Cycle Lab. They will phone me back with a price after asking all the right questions, which bike, whats the size of your current shock, whats the stroke, whats the factory tune indicated on your current FOX, etc e5tc etc (Ye sure !!!) 5 minutes later i get a call with price nearly 300 ronds cheaper than everyone with 3 day delivery after i eft the deposit or full amount.

3rd experience

It was recomended i send my existing shock in for repair to Omnico before buying a new shock (What was wrong?? well lets just say it involved me who knows nothing about FOX, some spanners and a vice....not saying anything more!! other than it needed some new parts and a complete rebuild). But needs to be sent through a LBS, which i hate doing because if they can't fix it themselves, why should they see any benefit. But i decide Cycle Lab deserve the business because i would have bought the new shock theough them anyway.

Take it in on Sat to book it in at their workshop. Waited a while but they were busy so no problem. Anyway i enjoyed watching all the yuppies booking their bikes in for a wash and lube at 80 ronds a hit !!! WTF !!! are there still people out there that can't do this themselves.

They book it in, i leave with no paperwork just an SMS with a ref number. Thinking this is gonna be an interesting week looking for my shock!!!

Monday morning i get a call from Shawn, "your shock is sorted and ready for collection..Whaaaaat ....cant be, my shock should be on its way to Omnico in CT. No, he says, "i saw it laying here on sunday so i rebuilt it tested it on a bike and its sorted, come collect so you can go ride".

collected today paid 20% of the cost of the new shock i was going to buy.

Cycle Lab....you guys rock and will always get my support in future thanx for a lekka lekka shopping experience.

and I promise i will not try fix my own shocks again!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's brilliant, dude.... which branch was this, out of interest?

OOOPs sorry, i suppose that was an important detail i forgot. It was their Fourways Megastore

Guest Karma

Madmarc, I've been experiencing the same fantastic service from them lately.

They're doing it right.

Morecycling is here on the hub.

Well that is good news because they were at a stage accumulating a bad rep, for total lack of personalized service

Also can vouch for cyclelab mega store

They went above and beyond to replace a saddle under warranty when I had not even bought it there to begin with!

Super service!

Couldnt agree more...i never bother with them, but due to a lack of good quality shops close by i tried them and was pleasantly surprised with the changes...would really recomend them to anyone now

Well that is good news because they were at a stage accumulating a bad rep, for total lack of personalized service

Unfortunately that is still the case here in SW.

I have only had great service from cycle lab but the little falls branch. Craig and his workshop staff are fantastic. Always ontop of their game.

Well I can tell you no less than 3 people in their workshop came over and spoke to me about my problem offering some sort of help. I may add that you wait a while to book something in but they were busy. that workshop pumps and must turn an insane amount of money, which they deserve with that type of service. I think the fact that these people came over and spoke to me at least acknowledged that i was there waiting for service. If no one had come over i would have probably lefft and dropped it off at Solomons (sorry Agter)

If Morecycling read this.......

Its this type of experience that brings us back. And if at anytime i get shitty service i'll complain instead of just walking out, like i used too. and thats what a business needs...complaints if there are any so they can improve !!

the waiting didn't really worry me as i had been acknowledged and told i'd be helped ASAP, which gave me time to perv over all the bling and really check out what you guys have on offer. checking over a few prices, i found them to be very reasonable.

Nothing for free though which was a bummer :ph34r:

Unfortunately that is still the case here in SW.

I can believe it, it's like a bank/school they CAN CHANGE with the right HEAD, CLEARLY CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE because there were issues, and now there is a positive change

Must agree with dipslick. I brought my new bike from cycle lab in SW, and must say they helped me a lot! Got a free service plan and a bike fitment. So I'm very pleased with their service!

I tried them recently and I was very surprised how quick they sorted the problem out and even more surprised how cheap it was. I even asked if the invoice was right.

I was in the SW store a month ago looking for tyres. It looked like I was bothering the guy at the desk. Maybe it depends on who is working at the time. It's people that make a great shop, not the name of the shop.

I was in the SW store a month ago looking for tyres. It looked like I was bothering the guy at the desk. Maybe it depends on who is working at the time. It's people that make a great shop, not the name of the shop.

My worst, walking into a shop, licking a lazy salesmanship ass to take my money and pay his salary

I have also had amazing service with the new store in Fourways. I asked them to help me out after a pretoria bike shop stuffed up the spacing on my BB.

The fixed it and replaced some parts at no cost even though they had nothing to do with the stuff up in the first place. I will definitely be back even if it is out of my way!!!

The sad reality is that great service is a very scarce commodity these days...