Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will all happen in final 20km on the climb. Wonder if Arredondo/Cotaldo/Basso can stay away?

15:39:02 CEST

The peloton crest the penultimate climb, 6:16 behind the leaders. Movistar have upped the pace and they're looking to close the gap.

15:40:35 CEST

There are two other races going on today. Tom Boonen has won the second stage of the Tour of Belgium, while Mathias Frank took victory in the Bayern Rundfahrt.

As it was on the first descent, Ivan Basso has made a little gap out at the front. He's got Sella, Wellens and De Gendt with him. They've got 23 seconds on the chasers.

35km remaining from 171km

15:46:34 CEST

The remaining leaders have almost caught up with Basso now, but he's been descending surprising well today.

30.9km remaining from 171km

15:51:51 CEST

The peloton are taking it a little easier down this descent than the escapees. The gap is going back out again and now stands at 6:49. No point in taking the risks here, but it's a big advantage to try and overhaul before the finish.

28km remaining from 171km

15:54:53 CEST

The leaders are now back onto the flat roads as the advantage increases again to 7 minutes. It will be touch and go if they can hold this. They're bound to break up a lot once the hit the final climb.

15:57:26 CEST

Movistar continue to lead things in the peloton, as it snakes down this descent in one long line. With Ulissi's departure after yesterday's stage, Movistar are one of only two teams who have all their riders remaining. The other team is Trek Factory Racing.

15:59:14 CEST

After initially bringing the gap down to six minutes, Movistar seem happy to let the escapees have a bit more rope now. The gap is up to 7:30. Have the Spanish team decided to let the break stay out to the finish?

24km remaining from 171km

16:01:53 CEST

We're almost at the final climb and the attacks are going to start coming from this group. Who will be the first to blink? There are a number of strong climbers, including Duarte, Zardini, Arredondo. Former champion Basso may struggle to match the explosiveness of others in this group, but you can't count him out either.

16:03:16 CEST

We also can't forget Deignan, Rabottini and Cataldo. This stage is no forgone conclusion, it could come down to tactics over anything else.

22km remaining from 171km

16:04:30 CEST

AG2R have sent a rider to the front to help out Movistar. Pozzovivo has been suffering from bronchitis since the weekend, but if he has the legs then he will go for something today. A podium place could still be within his grasp.

The leaders are riding through the town of Levico Terme at the moment. They've got an advantage of 7:27 and they're about to begin climbing for the last time today.

Basso is around 14 minutes outside of the top 10 at the moment. He won't be able to make it back in today, but if they can hold a decent advantage over the peloton it will help his cause a little.

AG2R-La Mondiale are trying to push on the pace. They're currently leading the team competition, but Pozzovivo is also only 28 seconds away from the podium at the moment.