Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

Alessandro Petacchi (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) and Michele Scarponi (Astana)

Apparently Petacchi hit a car on the way down the Stelvio. That's the last thing you want after struggling against the elements!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the initial talks of a protest, which were abandoned after the team talks this morning, the peloton isn't hanging about today. After 27 kilometres the bunch have been riding at a whopping average of 53 kph. They did start descending almost immediately, but at this speed a break will struggle to get away.

!!!

Avg speed on the flats currently at 52 km/h

No one is getting away at this stage

The UCI have just issued a statement on twitter regarding yesterday's stage. Here is what they had to say.

"Re #Giro, concerned about security, organisers took initiative to place motos in front of each group on #Stelvio descent... This should have been approved by commissaires + coordinated and communicated to the teams more efficiently... but security is of course the primary concern for all race organisers and for the UCI."

Here are the names of the riders who have made it into the break. Enrico Gasparotto (Astana), Matteo Montaguti (AG2R La Mondiale), Stefano Pirazzi (Bardiani), Nicola Boem (Bardiani), Marco Canola (Bardiani), Jos Van Emden (Belkin), Daniel Oss (BMC), Oscar Gatto (Cannondale), Johan Le Bon (FDJ), Jussi Viekkanen (FDJ), Daniano Cunego Lampre-Merida), Mattio Bono (Lmapre-Merida), Lars Bak (Lotto-Belisol), Tim Wellens (Lotto-Belisol), Igor Anton (Movistar), Thomas De Gendt (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Serge Pauwels (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Davide Malacarne (Europcar), Simon Geschke (Giant-Shimano), Alberto Losada (Katusha), Eduard Vorganov (Katusha), Philip Deignan (Sky), Evgeni Petrov (Tinkoff-Saxo), Jay McCarthy (Tinkoff-Saxo) & Fabio Felline (Trek Factory Racing)

The gap continues to go out. It is now at 6:35. With the size of the group out front, there is every chance today's winner is in that group of 25.

Four teams have missed the break today. Garmin-Sharp, Colombia, Orica-GreenEdge and Neri Sottoli.

Bardiani has best representation in this group

A 3rd stage win on the cards?

That would be impressive

hang on....... i see igor anton is in the break way :clap:

Igor for the stage win

:huh: