Serious crashes on the Spruit today

Tjokkits

bejesus! I am driving back to KZN to fetch my bike! I need to hit that while it is still there! :whistling:

Or before the launch/landing gets moved to make it another 2m wider...

purely to make the "if you can read this..." sign more apt.

Edited by patches

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me hitting a new jump on a bike I am not comfotable on... We will have a repeat of that time I leant Sidewinder my bike to hit a drop at Thaba :whistling:

Plus I am not keen to have to replace my Super for a third time this month :eek:

:D

The way I see it, there are 3 courses of action...

1. Moan about all the features that develop on the spruit (some naturally, some with a little help). Moan until these get removed. And keep in mind that features like the rutty singletrack between Delta and Victory park has probably resulted in more bails than features like the Scout Hall jumps. (I'd be willing to bet on this). So to be consistent one really should lobby to have that section paved.

2. Upskill. Many riders want to improve their skills. Some have the ability to do it themselves. Others seek the help of riders like Peach, to give instruction on the funner things in life... like jumping.

3. Ride what you can and enjoy it. There is plenty to ride on the spruit and no one is forced to take a jump or a drop they they aren't willing to. Keep your eyes peeled. Don't be a lemming. Look ahead,not at your Garmin/HRM (it's like the No. 1 rule of MTB). Ride around what you don't feel comfortable with.... and most importantly, enjoy what you do ride!

Patch you are right on all points but you need to remember, you and i have some common sense and a sense of self preservation. some of the guys on the spruit lack that all together. its the lemmings we need to be careful of as they will inevitably make life difficult

Patch you are right on all points but you need to remember, you and i have some common sense and a sense of self preservation. some of the guys on the spruit lack that all together. its the lemmings we need to be careful of as they will inevitably make life difficult

Nothing instills some common sense and self preservation like a nose case on a dirt jump... just to remind one that they're not Greg Minnaar. :lol:

Or before the launch/landing gets moved to make it another 2m wider...

purely to make the "if you can read this..." sign more apt.

Bring it! As long as I can get a tow in because you and I both know I wont be able to get enough speed without gravity or a motor... :devil:

Just last week Sidewinder and myself were playing on the Hurlingham jumps. That line alongside the river towards the crossing before WNicol. Anyway, this young guy on his entry level hardtail comes cruising through the first berm, hits the jump and bounces a few times on the landing before disappearing off the edge and 2m down into the river. Don't know how he managed to miss all the major rocks, debris and tree stumps down there and land in a pile of mud. Well, with some assistance he was back up the bank, on his bike and jumping the next kicker... :lol:

Maybe every one who is so sure that these jumps are easy etc must post pics of them actually doing the jump.

I for one think they are insanely dangerous.

Maybe every one who is so sure that these jumps are easy etc must post pics of them actually doing the jump.

That's good! It means you already have a bit of that common sense that seems to be lacking.

I agree with regards to gaps getting marked. I think the international standard of red-flags on the lip would be suitable. That said there are no real gaps (apart from the Virgin Active one pictured). The problem is whose responsibility is it to teach riders what the red-flags mean? Should they be expected to educate themselves? And how do we make sure the flags don't go walk about?

Most of the other 'features' wouldn't be marked on other international trails (I don't believe) as almost every other feature is 100% rollable, even the Bomb-Hole (all 3 options).

The irony is the most dangerous feature on the Spruit is the slot on the downstream side of Jan Smuts and that is courtesy of the local municipality or JW. Personally I like it but that can seriously break people, but there has been no uproar over this...

DON'T DO THEM THEN. I assure you, no-one is going to hold a gun to your head and make you jump.

I agree with regards to gaps getting marked. I think the international standard of red-flags on the lip would be suitable. That said there are no real gaps (apart from the Virgin Active one pictured). The problem is whose responsibility is it to teach riders what the red-flags mean? Should they be expected to educate themselves? And how do we make sure the flags don't go walk about?

Most of the other 'features' wouldn't be marked on other international trails (I don't believe) as almost every other feature is 100% rollable, even the Bomb-Hole (all 3 options).

The irony is the most dangerous feature on the Spruit is the slot on the downstream side of Jan Smuts and that is courtesy of the local municipality or JW. Personally I like it but that can seriously break people, but there has been no uproar over this...

yip, that thing scares me, the gap doesnt look big so it gives you a false sense of confidence. It seems though that if there is a gap to clear, people don't ride it, hence it doesnt break them, but the bombhole is mos just a sharp little up...again a false sense of confidence, hit that lip wrong and you have a broken hip...case and point, yesterday's incidents

Any trail you ride is marked.. Green, blue, black , diamond etc.... Most websites and discussions on the spruit mention its a family ride and that implies green . These jumps are not. They should be marked end of story.

I don't think it's a matter of them being 'easy' since the word is so subjective. Different riders see different things as challenges, whether it be a gap jump, a steep hill or a rock garden. The main point is that they're optional. They're off the line and they're there for riders that want to enjoy them or try them.

Any trail you ride is marked.. Green, blue, black , diamond etc.... Most websites and discussions on the spruit mention its a family ride and that implies green . These jumps are not. They should be marked end of story.

All of the jumps on the spruit are OBVIOUSLY jumps. The kicker routjtie is talking about is not obvious, and thus a danger to lemmings.

With regards to signage, the spruit is NOT any other trail. When last did you and your family pay entrance onto the spruit? Signage has been posted in many places before, City Parks tear it down.

Yes... such trails are usually marked... in bike parks etc. The spruit is not Red Barn or Kalrkloof. You do not pay to ride there. It's simply a long greenbelt.

What many don't realize is that the individuals who build the jumps, also maintain and cut new trail remove fallen trees (like the one that fell just up from virgin some months back, blocking the path), build bridges (like the one under 1st Ave, making it safer for cyclists to cross), and so on and so on.

These people do it for the love of the trail. They do not get paid. All have day jobs.

If it wasn't for these people much of th spruit would be unridable (esp in summer).

yip, that thing scares me, the gap doesnt look big so it gives you a false sense of confidence. It seems though that if there is a gap to clear, people don't ride it, hence it doesnt break them, but the bombhole is mos just a sharp little up...again a false sense of confidence, hit that lip wrong and you have a broken hip...case and point, yesterday's incidents

Fair enough, but are people not responsible for the speed they choose to ride a trail at? The only variable causing people to get this wrong in this particular area is speed, which is determined/controlled by the rider. That said, I can also see your point.

It should be noted that the trail fairy who does a lot of brilliant, selfless work on the spruit has never intended to hurt or harm any rider, just to create more flow and better trails.

And again, all features and bumps & humps are built off the main line so one has to choose to ride these blips.