Philadelphia MTB Race 2014

BrandonF_

This coming saturday the 26th will be the Philadelphia MTB Race' 2nd addition. Last year I remembered alot of mixed emotions around the race, route was cut short by 10kms, the start was chaotic and no one could hear the race brief, and then the finish and timing system used was a total mess...

BUT!!!

These are birth pains like with any new endeavour and the organisors, overwhelmed with the huge turnout last year, got PPA involved this year, 3 distances, a nice long 63km route and the seeded start and timing sytem will be a welcomed site! The route last year was flipping amazing, awesome farms we dont get to ride generally.

I have a feellng its gonna be jam packed and a great day out on the MTB!

See you guys there!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entered for the 63km, didn't have the luxury of riding it last year but thanks for being the guinea pig so I can have a perfect event this year.

The plan is to cycle through, do the race & ride back need the miles in prep for 100miler.

What area is it?

The name of the thread is a good clue....

I think the numbers caught the organisers off-guard last year, literally 100's of late entries on the day. I'm sure they will be better prepared this year and PPA's involvement should help. Definitely a race I would do again

What area is it?

Its on our doorstep Copperhead!, Philadelphia turnoff is on the right just pass the Engen garage after the Melkbos turnoff on the N7, (hope it makes sense :-)

Doing the 63. Route profile looks okay. Fairly flat. Please dont tell me its all sand or something.

Lots of sand, I think close to 30km of sand....just kidding! One or two small patches but majority great flowing sections, a possible chest high water crossing with the only long climb right at the start

Yes I lost by blackberry due to that crossing .Brandon ,you are correct by saying what you said my experience was the same ,no time ,no riders briefing .

Yes I lost by blackberry due to that crossing .Brandon ,you are correct by saying what you said my experience was the same ,no time ,no riders briefing .

Im just glad that they were willing to listen to ideas for bettering the race, in fact when I phoned for the results last year, the lady who answered, eagerly wanted to know what they can do to improve, it has the potential to be a very popular and successful race on the calendar due to its close proximity

Edited by BrandonF

Yes I lost by blackberry due to that crossing

Blessing in disguise :ph34r:

Doing the 63. Route profile looks okay. Fairly flat. Please dont tell me its all sand or something.

Don't remember a lot of sand, mostly farm roads through vineyards and some jeep track

That portage section was a bit nasty, it really was chest high through cold water! Didn't bother me too much but I'm certain there would have been complaints.

I was sick on that day (think a light bout of food poisoning), so I had one of my worst days ever on the bike, I remember going flat-out just after the portage section and some old ballie with tekkies & t-shirt casually passed me as if I was riding in slow motion. Any other day it might have bothered me but I was massively relieved that they cut the route by 10km's and didn't record my embarrassing time!

I'll be giving the 63km a try. Thanks for the warning about the river crossing ... will have to put my Continuous Glucose Monitor into a waterproof pouch.

The river crossing might not even be a factor this year, as we haven't had any heavy rain, but still good to just be aware of it