tokai is burning

Shebeen

can't see anymore from my office window facing the wrong way, but am guessing it's a controlled fire.

nice cool winters day, zero wind.

looked about the are where the trails are too.

anyone know if this was the 'scheduled fire', and how does it affect the trails?

can't see anymore from my office window facing the wrong way, but am guessing it's a controlled fire.

nice cool winters day, zero wind.

looked about the are where the trails are too.

anyone know if this was the 'scheduled fire', and how does it affect the trails?

it is a scheduled burn, and it's opposite the picnic area - nowhere near the trails.

Why are they not burning the snake trails? Surely that area is in dire need of it.

This is the reason we were given by parks - they will only apply for it to be burnt once head office have allocated the budget for the followup alien eradication project, which is vital. Burn, allow red data list species to grown and kill any resurgent alien growth

Why are they not burning the snake trails? Surely that area is in dire need of it.

To quote my response in this thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130785-mamba-rears-its-head-tokai/page__st__112

They failed for the following reasons

• They have been provided with a plan from Cape Pine with the expected harvesting schedule (up till 2024) (info from Cape Pine)
  • The burn is supposed to happen in the FIRST year of removal. (info from renowned botanist)
  • It has not even been discussed with the TMNP fire manager (info from fire manager)

Have an email I'm not at liberty to share stating the writers reservations to the competency if TMNP to control a burn on the side of the mountain (sloped land, exposed as opposed to the flat area that is being burned)

Certain TMNP employees were included on this email.

sorry if this has already been discussed in the mamba thread, didn't think of looking in there (and let's be honest, this is probably going to be a hot topic for a long time, so deserves its own thread)

sorry if this has already been discussed in the mamba thread, didn't think of looking in there (and let's be honest, this is probably going to be a hot topic for a long time, so deserves its own thread)

I agree

Guest OldFlow

This is the reason we were given by parks - they will only apply for it to be burnt once head office have allocated the budget for the followup alien eradication project, which is vital. Burn, allow red data list species to grown and kill any resurgent alien growth

Def seperate topic, that one! If that is indeed the reason provided by SANP, it is definitely a spin-doctoring piece of BS...

why do they burn it at all? not sure i understand that.

it effectively prevents an uncontrolled burn, by getting rid of the residual fire-prone material left from logging. If it weren't burnt, it'd be a tinder box, and it's not going to be replanted with more pine.

also allows the underlying seed bed (fynbos etc) to activate and come out of dormancy... their life cycle is triggered through heat, and the residual ash is like cocaine to them...