[Event] MTN National MTB Series #6 Van Gaalen Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

The "new" Oom Piets is not the greatest piece of single track that I have ridden at VG. Was having a ball until then and then I hit the proverbial wall. Wessel, everything else was brilliant. Thank you.

Agreed, that unrideable single track climb above Oom Piets was an exercise in frustration, really spoilt a great ride for me. Rode the whole Satellite descent, tough and scary, but my mantra was "this is rideable" and i just went for it. Happy about that. wrong chainring on my 1x10 made the climbs tough. Used a 34t, should have stuck with the 32t. The whiteknuckle floating bridge was fun - i think i only breathed again after getting across!

thanks wessel and team, definitely a tough day out there.

The final Single track along the river - really excellent riding, good fun.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great day out in the Magaliesberg, just having access to that route is what makes it all worth while, for me at least. Great vistas of the cradle of human kind.

Had my usual mechanical up the concrete road - this time my left shoe separated from the sole, nothing that a few large cable ties couldn't sort out. That Satellite descent, rode most of it, but eish its tough going, and that stage of the race, bit fatigued, so not shy to exercise some cautionary portage on scary bits I lacked the confidence to ride. Front tyre burped going down, had to pop it back into shape with a few swift strokes of my fancy pump I carry in my backpack.

The bridge was fun, you really had to push hard towards the end, as you start to get that sinking feeling. Rest of the ride, good, managed to keep some pace. That route home along the river, don't thing we have ever ridden the same route twice. Or it seems that way with all those convoluted warrens.

Cleats you just pipped me, I was in at 6:42, though I lost about 30 mins to the in situ shoe repair.

Edited by kosmonooit

Damn, did't finish. Helped 2 ladies who fell at the hectic downhill only to fall my self as well. Sitting with a cracked thumb and I crushed the soft tissue in my hand so I could not hold on to the bars any more. Oh well, next time! Well done to everyone who finished!!!

Lets make this short. 1 Broken chain (again) and fixed it lost 30 mins as I let one part of the chain link fall in the grass. Thanks to the lady who spared me one you saved me. Two superman falls and about 3 tumbles later, the quads on both legs were knocked blue. At 18 km to go mu RD started throwing my chain between the spokes and the big ring. After twice spending 10 mins trying to get it out I realised that the actual problem was a broken hanger. How my RD did not fall off I do not know. So the nicer parts off the course I walked every technical and slightest incline.

I wish I had a dropper post and soft tail. This would have simplified my life. Why I did not take a minute or two to adjust my seat post lower on the downhill is beyond me.

Anyway before I bankrupt myself unfortunately I am done racing for a bit. On Friday my daugter will be born and my money will go into baby needs rather than bike parts. For the next few months I'll pack a camera and stop and enjoy the trails I ride and avoid down hills that is out to kill me. But I'll be back probably sooner than later as the addiction has me.

im curious to know if anyone managed to ride up the last climb, my goodness that was brutal !

I walked the last bit, the head wind on the approached softened me up. I was passed by quite a few people who did ride up.

Think the congestion made it impossible to climb for the lower batches. There were definitely a few bits that seemed impossible to cycle even if you had an open trail.

I thought this years marathon was a much fairer test, last climb was tough but I found it quite a bit easier than last years final climb. Still a really tough day out. The cool weather also helped make it a bit easier I thought. Much preferred this years single track finish to last year.

Lets make this short. 1 Broken chain (again) and fixed it lost 30 mins as I let one part of the chain link fall in the grass. Thanks to the lady who spared me one you saved me. Two superman falls and about 3 tumbles later, the quads on both legs were knocked blue. At 18 km to go mu RD started throwing my chain between the spokes and the big ring. After twice spending 10 mins trying to get it out I realised that the actual problem was a broken hanger. How my RD did not fall off I do not know. So the nicer parts off the course I walked every technical and slightest incline.

I wish I had a dropper post and soft tail. This would have simplified my life. Why I did not take a minute or two to adjust my seat post lower on the downhill is beyond me.

Anyway before I bankrupt myself unfortunately I am done racing for a bit. On Friday my daugter will be born and my money will go into baby needs rather than bike parts. For the next few months I'll pack a camera and stop and enjoy the trails I ride and avoid down hills that is out to kill me. But I'll be back probably sooner than later as the addiction has me.

Congratulations in order.......baby daughter......and finishing.

What was ascent on the marathon? My endo reads 1090m would like to know how accurate it is...

Tough day out there, twice over the bars and taken out meters from finish line.

Marathon route was ok but extra section at the top of oom Piet was rubbish. Better option would have been normal oom piets then back up to the church.

Even though I decided before the race that I'll walk the descent, I didn't... when over the handlebar twice and then walked the descent.

Tough day out. The first 40km is proper tough mtb marathon terrain. Climbs were hard but rideable. That descent though is not fun.

Sense of humour failure on the last bit of Oom Piet, but that river singletrack put a smile back on my dial.