Garmin 500 spiking Heartrate

WayneO

Hi Guys,

Been picking up problems with my Garmin, while riding the weekend on my Mtb my heartrate spikes from 140bpm to 230bpm for about 30 seconds and then drops again.

Strangely enough only when my speed increases. so I changed the battery on my strap and it stays the same. I then used the indoor trainer this morning (Road bike) it did exactly the same on a different sensor.

Initially I thought interference, but from where?

Any ideas? and where is their a Garmin service centre?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Been picking up problems with my Garmin, while riding the weekend on my Mtb my heartrate spikes from 140bpm to 230bpm for about 30 seconds and then drops again.

Strangely enough only when my speed increases. so I changed the battery on my strap and it stays the same. I then used the indoor trainer this morning (Road bike) it did exactly the same on a different sensor.

Initially I thought interference, but from where?

Any ideas? and where is their a Garmin service centre?

Thanks

The service centre is at Navworld in Centurion. I also had issues and they replaced my HR unit

I will be watching this thread because I have recently experienced similar spikes with my Garmin 800.

Had a similar problem with my monitor, would get an initial reading and then the reading would die/dissaprear entirely. Went to navworld and they replaced the strap (was still under guarantee) and haven't had any problems since

Had this problem twice.

First time replaced the batteries and resolved second time had to replace the strap.

Also have this issue generally when road riding at higher speeds and when is chilly, seems to affect the HRM with cold air passing over it... Happened first time at Argus this year when was windy and cold and second time at the Sondela road race this weekend, which was a cold and fast race to start. I just ignore it, it settles down once the air temp rises... perhaps consider where you have the HRM strapped to your chest?

Contact area is not fully in touch, I reckon.

Happens on my Edge too.

Be sure to occasionally wash the strap ONLY

Be sure to replace the battery

Move the strap around a bit when you have it on

Edited by ' Dale

Apologies to the OP, but while we are on the subject of heart rate,

Whats the most accurate way to determine your Max HR? according to most of the calculations methods my max HR should be between 185 and 195. I have however recorded a max of 200+bpm on several occasions.

Note sure if

1. my HRM is faulty or

2. I'm faulty

post-38473-0-95640300-1400489131_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Following as I have same issue with Polar and just bought Garmin 800 doing the same

At SuikerbosNatatureReserve on the downhills I'm getting over 250 bpm

I will do the following 2 action I have read

1) Tighten the strap

2) Clean with bottled water before ride, not tap water, also soup leaves a residue I need to make sure is off

Dave

That rainmaker article is the best info for these types of issues. If you want to sort it out permanently get a Polar strap with the Garmin HRM as per the article.

I have a similar issue actually, Going to try to clean with bottled water, and tighten, if nothing, will return. Still under warrantee

Battery

Then wash the strap well after rides. I think the electrolites in the sweat concucts additional currents.

Then, wet the strap well before you ride.

Hope you get this solved, frustrating