Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

ummm a little question - has the cycle shop from Stellenbosch taken over the coffee shop ?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, am I correct to assume that, despite all the fluff, one gang got angry because another gang put a couple of big tags on the turf they have marked themselves with little tags? Maybe they should bring in a couple of hos, smoke some crack and have a drive by shooting to sort out the issue? :ph34r:

(Better than closing trails)

So, am I correct to assume that, despite all the fluff, one gang got angry because another gang put a couple of big tags on the turf they have marked themselves with little tags?

This image comes to mind

http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/no-girls-allowed.jpg

Once again all of us have only one side of the story......

Maybe the coffee shop got a better deal from scott than spez? Maybe spez wanted an arm and a leg for their bikes and scott said you can have ours for free..... i don't know.

But I agree that this forum is poor form from the OP

I had an interesting conversation with the coffee shop owner last year around the time that the scott bikes had arrived: From what I could gather and remember from then was that he approached Specialized for possibly supplying rental bikes, but this was unsuccessful, due to a deal Spez already had going on with Ride Inn. Hence the bikes being supplied by Scott.

Now this is only a partial side of maybe another story, but I don't think this is a case of one bike brand spiting another

... And this just occurred to me... Has anyone thought about the possibility this being a turf war between two coffee shops? And what are possible the ties between the OP and one of these coffee shops...

Just throwing it out there...

both lame greedy corporate cycling brands, which i will never support. even if they leave, ill be riding and fishing as ive done there for years.

i dont need a smooth hardpacked trail to ride,

both lame greedy corporate cycling brands, which i will never support. even if they leave, ill be riding and fishing as ive done there for years.

i dont need a smooth hardpacked trail to ride,

+1

Seems the OP has gone into hiding after seeing this blow up in his face.

Propably afraid of being sued by Spez for using their name in a threating maner...... who know what Spez said and if they even want to with hold funding??

Fellow Cyclists,

There's been significant dialogue on this topic and I believe it's important that you hear straight from the "horse's mouth". My goal is that this ends positively, meaning more funds are generated to maintain existing trails and build many more amazing trails in The Stellenbosch Area. My response is long so please bear with me!

My name is Bobby Behan, a very active trail rider and Director of Specialized Bicycles business in Africa. Rain, hail or shine every Saturday and Sunday I can be found on our local trails. I've been riding in this area for 15 years; it's an area of the world that I'm immensely passionate about and proud that I can call home.

The trail system prior to the fire was not what we know today, maintenance was ok but not exceptional and therefore following the fire where significant portion of trails were destroyed, we riders were left with very limited trail options. Many of my local friends share the same passion for riding the trail, and especially so Giniel De Villiers, the Dakar Rally Driver. In late 2011 Giniel and I formulated the idea to rescue, improve and develop the trail system. No official body exists i.e. The Trail Maintenance Movement (TMM) is not an entity. This was simply a group of friends trying to spread the positive word and raise money for the greater good of the riders who frequent the trails in the Stellenbosch area. I unofficially lead this non-official entity, that has no name ..!!! Giniel and I saw eye-to-eye; no politics nor committees. Cut through all of this which generally takes time and can be negative and simply go about putting positive steps into motion in creating a playground for all to enjoy, ourselves included.

We knew little about the costs of trail development, I can't recall how, but we were introduced to Bennet Nel. Step One - we had a trail builder. With Bennet we also connected with Meurant Botha from AMA Rider and Paul Morris, a well known local trail rider who podium'ed at DH Worlds in Pietermaritzburg last year, to gain their input. Bennet had direct contact with Cape Pine. We learned that Cape Pine had a lease on Jonkershoek until 2020 (as far as I recall) from Cape Nature for a forestry plantation in this stunning valley. Our initial thought was to ascertain where the proceeds from the gate entry fees were going and thereafter determine a) if part of these proceeds could go towards the trail plan and b) if not increase the gate fee, the surplus of this increase going towards trail maintenance. Alongside Bennet, Giniel and I had a series of meetings with Cape Pine, at various levels within their organisation. Cape Pine are pro-cycling, but made it clear that they did not want hassle. Furthermore, they did not want the administrative challenges with taxing the gate entry, so attaining income from the gate proceeds was a no-go, which we respected. We were given clear feedback from these meetings: We could build trails once approved by them, Bennet would know their long-term harvesting plans so we would build around this. In return they were very happy that this trio were assuming responsibility for the trails. They knew Bennet as a very honest, solid guy who was very reputable as a trail builder; Giniel by his positive public reputation and were pleased that although I was involved on a personal level I did represent a well known company within cycling. At the time they were experiencing challenges with riders riding through forestry machinery while at work, a few arguments occurred between harvesters and cyclists, their 'no entry harvesting zones' and associated signage were being ignored and some taken down by cyclists, suffice to say that had we not met with them, Jonkershoek being closed to cyclists was a reality! The above took a lot of time and multiple meetings. We had to build bridges between Cape Pine and cyclists, because of a few cyclists poor behaviour.

We had a calculated insight from Bennet as-to what the trail plan would take from a financial perfective. From there I personally drove the fundraising drive. Giniel contributed generously as did myself and many of our friends; most remain anonymous. Word spread and we received other contributions, but it was clear ... we needed more money! Therein I actioned monies to be contributed by Specialized to supplement the fundraising drive and attain our initial goals. This was never about branding nor brand positioning for Specialized. We simply wanted great trails. If you recall riding at Jonkershoek in this period, trails were repaired, maintained and developed. Not one sign was ever erected; no Specialized nor "S" Logo existed. We figured that every single cent should go into trail building; signs would waste these valuable cents. Despite all of the above we needed more money ...! BMT, a local Stellenbosch Bike Store, offered to host a successful fundraising auction evening. By the end of the winter 2012 we had achieved the following:

- Lower Canary Levels 1, 2 and 3 were maintained and re-opened (they were in very poor condition)

- New Canary Levels 4, 5 and 6 were created

- Maintenance on the downhill track

- Neverending Story, also known as Mason's, was re-opened and we also created two new upper levels. Meurant Botha also donated a team to help re-open the popular section which was damaged by fire and forestry. This trail was completely destroyed.

- The Fire Trail and Quarry Trails were maintained

In 2013 I personally gave a lot more time to the trail plan, truly sinking my teeth into it! The goals were bigger ..! Not only did we re-visit Jonkershoek, but I spent a lot of time meeting / lobbying the Deputy Major Of Stellenbosch, other municipal parties and various people at differing levels within Stellenbosch University. The goals were to develop Coetzenburg, Eden and make 'G-Spot' legal. Within the Coetzenburg Plan is to create a World Cup Level XCO Course, which would feature 'chicken lines' so all could ride, yet the better skilled riders were challenged. We also knew that this would be a huge attraction for the international riders who based themselves in Stellenbosch in the summer (Sauser, Nino, The Fluckigers, Naef etc) and therefore good for the town. This plan also included a direct single-track from Eden to the draw bridge at Coetzenburg meaning direct access to Jonkershoek. Added to these multiple meetings I also met with landowners in order to improve access. Finally I met with Alec Lenferna, organiser of the various World Cups and World Championships in Pietermaritzburg to determine actual costs in building the cross-country course (ZAR 300-400k).

To propose and begin discussions with all of the above we needed a person who could create trail plans via google earth. I did not have this skill-set. Hanno Lategan, a student at Stellenbosch University, local trail rider and chairperson of The Maties Cycling Club got involved. Giniel, Bennet, Hanno and I would meet, we would formulate ideas which Hanno would create on Google Earth. We had many, many meetings before approaching all of these bodies with a plan and following feedback from these bodies went back to the plan. We have not yet executed this plan; it's on-going discussion / negation. Our biggest challenge will be funding the plan once approved.

Pertaining to Jonkershoek in the space of one year Strava had arrived and with that very aggressive riding down the many trails. I specifically recall the one occasion on a Strava run down where I met Paul Morris on the way up. How we avoided one another is a miracle and that's when I realised we needed directional arrows and liability signage. Creating signage was expensive, we were already tight on the monetary side and added to this we wanted to create new trails, while the existing trails needed maintenance. Once again we set about fundraising and despite all of our good work (remember no branding existed) not many new donors stepped up. We needed more support from Specialized. BMT also upped the ante in creating a very unique fundraiser where Richard De Villiers a well known local cyclist / triathlete and owner of BMT contacted many of the town's artists, requesting them to donate paintings. Specialized covered the costs of the evening and to save costs we held the function at Specialized's Offices in Stellenbosch. The fundraiser was a success. I also set about raising donations. We could not wait for donation income so Specialized fronted the start-up of 2013. Later we received the donations, which partly met Specialized's contributions. In 2013 the following was achieved:

- All trails were maintained (Neverending Story, Canary, Downhill Track, Fire Trail and Quarry Trail)

- New section below Neverending Story was created and the trails in the Valley (can't recall name) were re-opened (three sections)

- New section on upper Neverending Story was created

- Double Black Diamond was created and the entire trail was maintained. Double Black Diamond is special ..! We decided to join two great trail builders in Bennet Nel and Hylton Turvey. Hylton built most of the trails in Karkloof, KZN. Specialized covered Hylton's entire costs so this did not impact on the trail fund.

With Bennet Nel and Hylton giving so much back to the trails, Specialized also decided to sponsor both of them with bicycles and equipment. We saw this as a good way to thank these guys for doing that they do best - building awesome trails for all to enjoy.

The signage was erected in 2013 and with that the "S" Logo was placed on trail heads as recognition for what Specialized had pledged on many levels - this was a group decision. I'll touch on this again later, but it was never about branding for Specialized. It truly was not. At the time I was not sure if the branding was the right decision.

Added to the above and in preparation for 2014 we need a stronger financial foundation in order to sustain Jonkershoek, but also meet our other trail plans in Coetzenburg and Eden. In partnership with Stillwater Sports & Entertainment (the people who are behind XTerra, Wines2Whales and many more awesome events) and local reputable cyclist Corrie Muller we created the event The Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails. Proceeds of the event, which included donations from Stillwater Sports and Entertainment, Specialized and Pennypinchers were ZAR 64,000. We plan to grow this.

To-date and in total we have raised approximately ZAR 400k. Current balance left is ZAR 16k + ZAR 64k from the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails Event totalling ZAR 81k. Trail maintenance in 2014 will cost approximately ZAR 250-300k with a further ZAR 400k needed for the XCO Course.

I mention the above to highlight the positive work behind the trail movement. Riders may still pick holes and see negatives, yet the goals were always positive and focussed on creating a superb trail network in Stellenbosch.

This episode and some of the comments on this tread have surprised me; I understand and recognise that fellow riders may not realise what has gone into the trails thus far. Believe me; we have worked very hard to create this trail network.

Specialized goals were never about branding, ambush marketing or such. In fact many proposed that we should brand the entrance gate based on what we contributed, a motion to be proposed with Cape Pine, but we declined. We never wanted Jonkershoek to become a 'Christmas Tree' and furthermore never wanted it to be polarised by one brand, because it would alienate others. We got involved because we selfishly love riding. I ride; our entire office ride. In helping to create the trail network we benefitted as riders as did all riders. That was our goal pure and simple. In hindsight we should have never put the branding up. Jonkershoek should be a brand free zone. Commencing next week we are taking the signage down. We will create an official name for the trail building movement (Stellenbosch Trails ... one thought) and in doing so create an independent logo which will be placed on new signage. Specialized will cover all costs of this exercise.

I personally got involved and drove this development because I love riding and I am very passionate about Stellenbosch. It's a special place and I see so much opportunity for the town.

Ride In is an amazing coffee shop. Gavin and Brit King are owners and tremendous people. Please support them. Gavin eats, sleeps and lives cycling. Yes to clarify Gavin has a history with Specialized. I can't recall the detail, but Gavin worked for multiple years for many of the pro tour road teams including The Cervelo Test Team. Gavin was introduced to me in 2010 and I hired him on behalf of Specialized to work as a soigneur on our international mountain bike team. Gavin left the circuit in 2012 to pursue The Ride In concept, that is now a reality. Specialized do supply Ride In with test bicycles. We partnered with Gavin because we knew him and his attention to detail and excellence. He also knows what it means to maintain a test fleet and this is important for us.

The Jonkershoek Cafe requested test bicycles from Specialized - this is true. Specialized declined, because of the poor condition of the rental bicycles that we saw there. Our decline was also due to budget restrictions and if I'm honest we preferred to invest funds into the trails. In their request for test bicycles there was no offer of branding on the entrance gate. In any case we would have declined this; we never wanted Jonkershoek to become a Christmas Tree! Jonkershoek Cafe has made it clear that they don't believe the trail development have benefitted them; most of their clientele ride the circle loop.

Neither I personally nor Specialized have any problem with a test fleet from any bicycle manufacturer at Jonkershoek - why should we. We do have a problem with any brand that turns The Gate into a Christmas Tree, Scott's included. On a personal level it's been very challenging raising money for the trail network. To attract brands is not easy; The Scott Branding does not help the trail building movement and our efforts to attract other brands into the area and this point includes Specialized.

I approached Jonkershoek Cafe two months following the establishment of Scott / Flandria / Jonkershoek Cafe Branding. The branding was established while I was on business in the USA. In any case we had a heated debate! In my opinion, because we declined Jonkershoek Cafe, they said we'll show you ..! And so they did, but at the detriment of trail development. I don't understand why they can't look at the bigger picture. Better trails equals increased traffic. Increased traffic means more business opportunities.

With no success in changing Jonkershoek Cafe's stance I approached Flandria Cycles. I challenged Scott and Flandria to make Jonkershoek a brand free zone. For the record I've a great relationship with the people at Flandria despite the fact that Specialized don't supply them. I challenged Scott (directly and via Flandria) to take down their branding in line with Specialized and match Specialized cent for cent on contributions. I believed that this could be a catalyst to attract many more brands into the area, both bicycle and non bicycle related. I believe riders would have welcomed a positive collaboration like this for the greater good. Scott declined and said that they would continue with the branding as is. I did warn Scott and Flandria that this may turn ugly with cyclists and that was something I did not want. I am a positive person and don't wish negative on anybody.

Do we want the trails to close? Definitely not. Where do I go on a Saturday and Sunday morning ..! Fellow riders please understand. I am a person of principle. What is happening currently is not right. It's ambush marketing and on a personal level (forget about Specialized) I can't stand for this. I've worked too bloody hard on this. We need to raise significant funds in a bid to continue our quest to build incredible trails and this is not helping.

People like Audi, people hate BMW, people dislike Mercedes, people love Porsche and other people hate Porsche - the same love / hate story is true in cycling. This is not about brands; it's not about Specialized nor Scott. It's about building awesome trails. Please support us in the quest to make Jonkershoek a branding free zone. Please support us in lobbying these businesses / brands to support the trail building initiative. None of these business have contributed to the trail building movement. None have offered to contribute at anytime, although I do believe Flandria did something many years ago. I have no problem with them not contributing; I do have a problem with them leveraging our hard work and commitment with no commitment on their part. I know many of my friends who each contributed are equally as frustrated as I.

In summary we have ZAR 81k, which is not nearly enough and therefore trails may need to be closed mainly because of concern for safety. Winter is the time for trail maintenance and we are behind. If you would like to contribute please contact me directly bobby.behan@me.com.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends,

Bobby.

Bobby,

Your efforts are truly appreciated and with out TMM we would not have Jonkers.

For my own clarity, How does trailmansam fit in with TMM? Why would he/TMM threaten the closure of trails if that is the onething, more and better trails, that TMM is working so hard for?

The opening post from trailmansam seemed more like a jealous threat than a concerned fellow MTBer.

Thanks for your hard work and I really hope this can be resolved.

Edited by Pappa Bear

Best might be, like Tokai, to get a proper MTB club going that will officially handle all issues related to Jonkers.

Hi Pappa Bear,

Thanks for your positive feedback. I don't know where TMM came from; I believe trailmansam was trying to give us a name and applied this. We actually don't have a title :)

Trailmansam is a gentleman and actually was involved in hosting the recent Enduro Race in Helderberg. He is a great guy and gives back. In reading his post I simply see huge frustration.

To-date everything has been great, Because we've been a small group, decisions were made quickly and actions happened. I suppose we were a little naive to think that this would not happen. As opposed to a club my thoughts are to create a name for our trail building movement and with that an associated logo. I will look into what has been created in Tokai.

Thank you,

Bobby.

Hi Pappa Bear,

Thanks for your positive feedback. I don't know where TMM came from; I believe trailmansam was trying to give us a name and applied this. We actually don't have a title :)

Trailmansam is a gentleman and actually was involved in hosting the recent Enduro Race in Helderberg. He is a great guy and gives back. In reading his post I simply see huge frustration.

To-date everything has been great, Because we've been a small group, decisions were made quickly and actions happened. I suppose we were a little naive to think that this would not happen. As opposed to a club my thoughts are to create a name for our trail building movement and with that an associated logo. I will look into what has been created in Tokai.

Thank you,

Bobby.

Sorry for hammering this.......

Why would trailmansam threaten to close the trails if "TMM" is there to create trails? He mentions that the trails is to dangerous, with out maintenance, and Cape pine don't want to be liable, correct? But you mentioned that trails was very poor before - so why didn't cape pine have a problem with the trails then?

By not knowing the facts, we jump to conclusions. I ask these questions so that I can understand and not jump to conclusion.

Best might be, like Tokai, to get a proper MTB club going that will officially handle all issues related to Jonkers.

but not to be confused with being a club.

Bobby, welcome.

Hi Pappa Bear,

Trailsmansam is not threatening to close any trails; I believe his thread was misinterpreted. Our trail fund is saying that trails need to be closed due to lack of maintenance and the headache that is the ambush marketing at the gate. Trailsmansam heard of this and started the thread.

The Trail Fund (for want of a better name ...!) or our group of friends recognise that the trails urgently need maintenance. In fact it's doing us more harm that good and especially so Specialized since their branding is on the actual trails; riders are directly associating Specialized with the poor state of the trails. Furthermore, we've heard that many riders are becoming more and more critical of the trail condition, having paid their fee at the gate, not knowing this fee is not going towards trail development, they are wondering where that money is going and 'what are Specialized doing with it' ..!!!

As I said in my first thread Cape Pine don't want hassle and although they assume liable responsibility via the entrance fee at the gate, our group did agree with Cape Pine that we would do our best to maintain everything, thereby protecting all parties. This was our commitment, which we have always honoured and we don't intend to change that stance now. I am not sure what the story with Cape Pine was in the past; all I can say is that they were pretty anti-cycling when we first met them and on the verge of closing the reserve to cyclists. On a personal level I also don't do things half baked. We do it properly or not at all.

This is my personal stance. I can use funds from Specialized to start maintenance. Remember we don't have depth of funds to start. However, I won't and this is my personal stance take monies from Specialized with the ambush marketing that is happening at the gate and the unwillingness to contribute. It's not right pure and simple. I would take the same stance with any brand who supports us and therein protect what they have done because in essence they are paying for our playground. Riders can make this a branding issue. It is not. It's my personal stance. There is also another brand whom I believe will support the trail fund. I want to approach them and ask them if they would match Specialized's contribution and I believe they may do, but I can't do that right now for obvious reasons. I too would be as protective of this company and / or any other company who contributes. Therein one of the many reasons to make Jonkershoek a brand free zone.

Thanks a million,

Bobby.