Garmin or Smartphone

in10sive

Hi

Hope this topic is not already posted / answered.

I have decided to replace my dated Cateye with a more updated device - I would like a device that will give me more info, GPS, track my routes etc

I am looking at the Garmin Edge 500 but I see a lot of posts about using a smartphone + Strava - which will be better - my big consideration is the price, the Edge 500 at R3000 vs gobii Smartphone IIP at R999 (http://www.kalahari.com/Electronics/gobii-Smartphone-IIP-200MB-x-12-months-free-data_p_48346743).

Thank you

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes a difference to your choice, I found a way to make an iphone last 15+ hours with mountain biking app and gps. Catch is you don't have signal/data...

Definitely Garmin. Strava does not that correct...

I mean I cycled and strava said I cycled 25% up-hill for 33kmh;;;;;;;; no way..... hahaha

And a phone is big.. if u fell, ur phone were more possible broken..

And not easy to see the screen during days especially bright days. And the battery.....etc. It's up to u.

I bought Garmin510bundle for R3999 from cape union mart (?) It was an event, u can ask them hahaha

Or check 'pricecheck.co.za'

let me guess, you went into plane mode, disabled wifi and BT.

G

If it makes a difference to your choice, I found a way to make an iphone last 15+ hours with mountain biking app and gps. Catch is you don't have signal/data...

I would say garmin as well. Check out www.easygis.co.za as well. They prices was lower than the other shops and I only received good service from Matthew.

let me guess, you went into plane mode, disabled wifi and BT.

G

Na, cause then GPS doesn't work, put a pin on your SIM card and then restart the phone, when it starts and asks you to put in pin to unblock SIM card say cancel, phone then still works but only GPS. Basically the same as running the phone without a sim.

Garmin, especially if you are considering navigation for stage races.... If not would still recommend a Garmin, lots of functions and easy to connect and upload, even to discovery if you are collecting vitality points

thanks guys, not too bothered with the heart rate monitor - will have a look at the Garmin 200 or is the extra bucks worth it for the 500

Will drop the smart-phone idea

Get the 200, 500 is not worth the xstra cash. Garmin is waaaaaay better than a phone. Battery wise and size wise, and crooks trying to steal your **** wise.

FWIW, I've been using my iPhone for years using first Endomondo and now Strava. It works well for me and it makes sense because you take the phone for emergencies anyway. I also don't like anything mounted on my bars, and I'm not interested in my current or average speed or elevation until I finish my ride. However, it's going to be a problem when races are GPS guided....

Edited by GreatGusto

thanks guys, not too bothered with the heart rate monitor - will have a look at the Garmin 200 or is the extra bucks worth it for the 500

Will drop the smart-phone idea

I used endomondo with my BB and must say it served me well 99% of the time.

I bought a Garmin 500 and totally love it. I love the cadence meter and heart rate monitor. Im a stat man, I enjoy looking at my stats on endo, strava and garmin connect. All 3 programmes offer something special. Ive been pushing harder because I wanna stay long in zone 5, the data motivates me. Certain days I decide im keeping cadence above 110 rpm. So if you love all the data, go for edge 500 at a minimum. If not take the 200 or use a smartphone