Garmin or Smartphone

in10sive

Bluetooth cadence and speed sensor together R950. For me personally, it's a better solution, specifically because of how simple it becomes to upload workouts to the cloud. Bar mounts also allow you to use the phone as a navigation device, to follow previous routes which the garmin doesn't do as well.

since when did garmin not allow you to follow previous routes?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you assume that most of the hub users have smartphones already, and when you upgrade you will have a spare phone the total price becomes significantly less. Wahoo Bluetooth HR monitor comes in at 1000.

If you don't want to bar mount it (and really it isn't Le Mans ugly- this isn't a samsung phablet) then the wahoo Reflector is a good option. I wouldn't want to cycle with a garmin AND have to bring my new 5S in case I need to call, at the risk of theft and damage. A dedicated GPS device simply cannot compete with the range of capabilities on a smartphone, as the apps available dwarf the potential of a garmin.

Sure, the capabilities are endless...but dedicated device at the moment works better because of

Battery life

Fragile device on rough terrain don't mix too well(glass screens etc etc)

Smaller & lighter

Additional add-on's to read data, usually bundled in dedicated devices

With my Samsung S4 i can use the ANT+ cadence and hrm, but i would not do that on a regular basis, have an old Nokia as my riding phone and a dedicated Garmin....much better option, no worrying about someone snatching the phone at a robot, or worrying about breaking my expensive phone should i fall

Does anyone have any views on / experience of:

1. Bryton;

2. Suunto; and / or

3. TomTom?

Also, does anyone use a cadence monitor and what benefits can one get from it?

thanks!

Possible issue with phones is that altitude, in most of them, is not measured but is based on the map data that they have, therefore your climbs can be inaccurate if the map data is not 100%. i seem to recall reading that only the newest iphone has altitude measurement capability.

Speed and Cadence sensor for a phone makes no sense, why worry about the speed when GPS is far more accurate anyway and no need for a magnet on the wheel.....

R950 for cadence/speed

R1500 for HRM

and 4000 for phone....

Seriously, buy a cheap phone for emergency R250 and Garmin bundle for rest, R3500....

Still comes in R250 under the iphone alone(and you don't have to have an iphone in your life either)

TK-S, you are wasting your time and effort...

Some people will go to the ends of the earth to justify their option or method, when it does not make economical sense, the option proposed if a compromise on something not really fit for purpose.... Especially when there are dedicated items specifically designed and made for this purpose

I'd definitely go with a Garmin and not only have a better display option, but also not need to worry about the rubbish smartphone battery life while using GPS.

As someone has already mentioned, Garmin Edge 200 if you don't want to use a heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, otherwise the Edge 500 is great value for money.

I bought mine from Fittrack.co.za and their prices are very competitive. Also use the price compare site PriceCheck.co.za.

Thanks for all the advice - I ordered the Garmin 200 from easyGIS.co.za for 1600.00, will see how is the service, 1st time I ordered from them.