Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 4/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, WaynejG said:

My lunchtime view and mode of transport IMG-20230416-WA0019.jpg.5196c780802249b65957ebf76a86277b.jpgIMG-20230416-WA0022.jpg.9cbc75787e1459e08a622d8162871c3a.jpg

This machine appeals big time. In all honesty it is for me personally, a very left field choice based on my preferences ( though I like most bikes) but the Rocket……..it just lights a small spark each time I see one. Second hand ones seem to be reasonable value,  a lot of machine for the money.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a read, apologies in advance! Sitting in the hotel in Miami with sleep eluding me, may as well be active on the forums! I did a super trip on the 690 Hoekwil out and return just before I left SA for my current stint at work. I travelled via Montagu Pass, Paardepoort, Kamanasie valley to Uniondale then a wonderful side road where I turned left off the Uniondale to Avontuur road. This road become a farm track with a lot of rain damage with sandy patches and therefore a ride that focused the brain a bit! With the odd river crossing it was reminiscent of the Baviaans, just shorter. Glad I was not on the 1190. I rejoined the road near Haarlem and rode to the Prince Alfred Pass. I blitzed that faster than I would normally as the day was beginning to shorten with all my stopping for a chill and coffee! Kom se Pad followed  then the track through Gouna Forest to Simola at Knysna before the tar leg home. The 690 will run all day at 140 on the tar, but seems very unnecessary to me………wastes my Pirelli MT21 on the rear, which only gives me 3000kms anyways! If time allowed I would have taken the seven Passes road home. Mechanically my only issue was a loose right hand mirror, a leisurely coffee stop to tighten!IMG_0400.jpeg.a05b087de7288cd580f729c9d7e6f34f.jpegIMG_0401.jpeg.240e865a919c233531e379fe933993f9.jpegIMG_0402.jpeg.34ea4601126aa973f67764837e7b09db.jpegIMG_0406.jpeg.c77756fbb289586320e6df22a993c161.jpegIMG_0407.jpeg.410625aea8053034fddc11806e6640ba.jpegIMG_0405.jpeg.66db554d65d289182629e662dd12be91.jpegIMG_0404.jpeg.9b46886b303412a4f7fccbb338fe01a1.jpegIMG_0403.jpeg.567cbd9347a07af173a0b98e970f4373.jpeg

The last pics I posted of a potential purchase…….well, things have changed. I am still looking for nice investment machine but bloody hell, my brain bounces around too much with that. Options on another post to follow.

My search for a mid weight ADV bike led me to look at  the Ducati Desert X and then I saw a Norden  901…..ahhhhh, awesome, my gosh!! But I like the power to weight of the KTM 790. I can’t get my head around the fact that the 890 is built in China……that just Pi**es me off. I am also feeling that I do not want too much in the way of electronics, I honestly do not need all that…….no boast, just a lot of riding years and a belief in simplicity as I ride into the boondocks on my own. If I can manage my Ducati 1098 with no aids at all, I feel I can cope with most. So……….Yammie T7 sounds so appealing and then I hear it is so top heavy….hope I can test ride one. They do look the Mutts Nutts though!  At this stage, I am keeping the 1190 for a two up tourer and will develop my Katoom 690 into a more suitable light weight ADV bike despite the single cylinder.

1 hour ago, Spokey said:

Jeepers Dude, this is shite…….my actual language was definitely not suitable for these forums. I would still ride with that but pay attention to it. I am used to monitoring the tyres on our company jet. The tiniest cuts can be fine for ages and then suddenly seem to get to limits quickly. They are up at 186psi though.

checked in with my insurance .... given the tank damage that the same chop did, I may just end up putting in a claim for the spraying of the tank, and the tyre replacement.

If I go this route, the temptation is strong to then pay in to spray the front and rear fenders too and go a new colour :)

Hairy, is it not possible that you just rode over something which cut the tyre? What makes you so sure that it was - in the weasel words of Alec Irwin - "human instrumentality"?

7 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, is it not possible that you just rode over something which cut the tyre? What makes you so sure that it was - in the weasel words of Alec Irwin - "human instrumentality"?

No, I definitely did not ride over something, the cuts are across the tread and the other along the tread. The cut across the tread shows / looks like the person tried to cut it twice from this angle.

Given that the side of the tank is densely chipped in a vertical direction, with a clear shape of what one would expect from a knife, or a sharp instrument, and there are trailing scratches from the chips going down the tank follows what would be a natural motion for a human being. Someone asked if it could be chips from riding, this I considered briefly, but if it was, the chips and scratches would be in a horizontal orientation if from a vehicle in front of me, or at an angle leading from my front wheel if it was from my front tyre. The density of the chips would also lead me to believe it was a person who was doing a repeated action in a short period of time, and doing this in quick succession on the "same spot".

I also sent the pics to Pirelli in SA, they responded with a message that supports my theory, and from what they are saying (in an indirect way, that I would want to clarify with them), or what it seems like they are saying is that they are going to be sending me a replacement tyre ... not sure on the finite details around this.

Gee that's nasty. Where do you park that it could be exposed to someone doing that?. If Pirelli do indeed give you a new tyre that would be very classy of them. Hope they do.

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Gee that's nasty. Where do you park that it could be exposed to someone doing that?. If Pirelli do indeed give you a new tyre that would be very classy of them. Hope they do.

It could really have been anywhere, but my strongest suspicion is that it was with my last airport trip.

I was away for three days and even though I park in the undercover parking, the bays I normally park in by the entrance were full, so I parked a little down the way, next to a column and by a wall that I thought would help with respect to not having cars or people come around the bike ... in hindsight it could have also given the person the perfect concealment to do what was done.

If not this location, my stops are at sites that are "safe" or at shops running in to get something quickly.....no dodgy places like one would find @Duane_Bosch or @the nerd stopping at.

Come to think of it, what kind of person would do that to the Harley .... must have been a GS or KTM rider :P

Let's see what Pirelli have up their sleeve .... I am already a fan of them based on how their tyres have improved the ride of my bike, may just become a life long user like I am for Maxxiss tyres on my MTB

23 hours ago, Spokey said:

The last pics I posted of a potential purchase…….well, things have changed. I am still looking for nice investment machine but bloody hell, my brain bounces around too much with that. Options on another post to follow.

My search for a mid weight ADV bike led me to look at  the Ducati Desert X and then I saw a Norden  901…..ahhhhh, awesome, my gosh!! But I like the power to weight of the KTM 790. I can’t get my head around the fact that the 890 is built in China……that just Pi**es me off. I am also feeling that I do not want too much in the way of electronics, I honestly do not need all that…….no boast, just a lot of riding years and a belief in simplicity as I ride into the boondocks on my own. If I can manage my Ducati 1098 with no aids at all, I feel I can cope with most. So……….Yammie T7 sounds so appealing and then I hear it is so top heavy….hope I can test ride one. They do look the Mutts Nutts though!  At this stage, I am keeping the 1190 for a two up tourer and will develop my Katoom 690 into a more suitable light weight ADV bike despite the single cylinder.

100% and the Yam 700 is appealing but how does it end up so bloody heavy!  Put same engine in a lighter, simpler frame with decent suspension, 18" & 21" rims, 6 gears (low first), good lights, ABS, minimum 15 litres of fuel, decent skid plate, hand guards, foot pegs, crash bars, luggage rack, tidy bum and GPS mount. Get it close to a 690 weight. I could sell my 701LR & 501 and buy it.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:01 AM, mazambaan said:

100% and the Yam 700 is appealing but how does it end up so bloody heavy!  Put same engine in a lighter, simpler frame with decent suspension, 18" & 21" rims, 6 gears (low first), good lights, ABS, minimum 15 litres of fuel, decent skid plate, hand guards, foot pegs, crash bars, luggage rack, tidy bum and GPS mount. Get it close to a 690 weight. I could sell my 701LR & 501 and buy it.

Jeepers yeah, agreed. I love the look of the T700 but a very few ponies more than my 690 at a much heavier weight…….ouch…..yes, it is better on the tar, but so far I have decided to treat my 690 to more lekker bits and just keep to the dirt and give my self time when on the tar. I know peeps ride them at 140plus on the tar, sure it will do it easily, just not comfortably! I shall keep the big 1190 for my two up riding, that beast does Karoo dirt very well. The 690 will be treated to a Seat Comforts Seat and a Giant Loop Coyote rear pack. A Sotts Steering damper is on the cards too. Then a Vanasche rear fuel filler so I can ditch the key. I have the Raid garage under seat tank so have around 18 litres……..I think!
So……enough randellas to throw at this without troubling myself on a new bike!
This bike still puts a silly grin on my dial on every ride!

Well. Warm weather and a bank holiday weekend can only mean one thing. Some fine riding. Visited the ACE on way up north. Ace for breakfast and super sausage for lunch taking a nice ride around Oxford and parts of the Cotswold area. Beautiful in the sun and loaded with history.

Bought the BM about 15 months ago. 2019 model with 114 miles on the clock. To go touring with wife but not done much and only on 1367 miles now. Yesterdays 300 mile bimble returned figures of 17 miles to a litre. I was well surprised. Admittedly kept to speed limits with a few spirited spurts. What a lekker motorbike. Wonder why bm did not sell zillions.  

IMG_7846.jpeg

IMG_7849.jpeg

IMG_7847.jpeg

IMG_7848.jpeg

IMG_7850.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

If you live in Cape Town, and did not manage to get out on your bike today, then you missed on on some exceptional weather and ride time.

Had the pleasure of having to ride out for an hour on back roads behind Durbanville to see a client, and then back again ........ two hours well spent.

Did I mention with the new Screaming Eagle compensator fitted the bike is alive and starts first time every time, and my bike is running so well right now that it is an absolute pleasure to be on her.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, IceCreamMan said:

Well. Warm weather and a bank holiday weekend can only mean one thing. Some fine riding. Visited the ACE on way up north. Ace for breakfast and super sausage for lunch taking a nice ride around Oxford and parts of the Cotswold area. Beautiful in the sun and loaded with history.

Bought the BM about 15 months ago. 2019 model with 114 miles on the clock. To go touring with wife but not done much and only on 1367 miles now. Yesterdays 300 mile bimble returned figures of 17 miles to a litre. I was well surprised. Admittedly kept to speed limits with a few spirited spurts. What a lekker motorbike. Wonder why bm did not sell zillions.  

IMG_7846.jpeg

IMG_7849.jpeg

IMG_7847.jpeg

IMG_7848.jpeg

IMG_7850.jpeg

Is that the 800 S? 

The Parralel 800 is a gem of a motor. Had the 800s for a day just after they came out. What a bike. You can ride that motor for 100 000 miles plus easily...The Akra on the bike is great, I'm absolutely in love with the sound of the akra on my 8gsadv.

Enjoy!

1 minute ago, RocknRolla said:

Is that the 800 S? 

The Parralel 800 is a gem of a motor. Had the 800s for a day just after they came out. What a bike. You can ride that motor for 100 000 miles plus easily...The Akra on the bike is great, I'm absolutely in love with the sound of the akra on my 8gsadv.

Enjoy!

Cheers

its the GT for ge tuned. Same engine, same everything as the ST just slightly longer swingarm. Loving the bike and perfect for this island.