Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

THE CONTENTIOUS TYRE QUESTION/S:

My bike is still a new to me bike, and I am going through her bit by bit to get her rolling as well as I can.

She came fitted with a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 on the rear and a Metzler Karoo 3 on the front. The seller also had a rear K3 that has a little usage on it that came with the bike.

Went to take a closer look at the tyres this morning to see the manufacturing date, and to just get an overall health / condition check on them as I want to get the K3 fitted to the rear (Just because I have the tyre, so might as well run it).

The dates on the tyres read as follows:
K3's - Manf. 2012
MT90 - Manf. 2014

Now given the age of these tyres, should I just bite the bullet and replace them off hand, or would it be safe to just run them down first and then replace them. The side walls on all of them look good, with no cracking or wear whatsoever.

image.png.0ecb9cfa9666fa472c2baef2e8b3a531.png

It depends on how they have been stored:

If you riding off road, you might get away with those for a while.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, i24 said:

It depends on how they have been stored:

If you riding off road, you might get away with those for a while.

Thanks, I will be riding predominantly on road before doing more and more dirt.

EDIT: I also can not speak for how the tyres have been historically stored or treated as this is a new to me bike.

Given the above, I think I should just accept I need a new pair of tyres.

Edited by Hairy

My favourite building in all of England. And favourite bike ever. Went on a road trip this morning. Visited grand kids, them stones and now chilling with pints in Salisbury. Over night here and possibly Thruxton tomorrow on way home. Good to ride motorcycles. 

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

Fliek on prime called one fast move. 

motorcycle related. Not brilliant, bit not bad 

Did a skills course yesterday (Location, Dirt 'n Dust) and went from being anxious as to how the 950 will feel on dirt to having the time of my life.

4hrs well spent, and a big boost in unlocking bike handing skills and confident!

image.jpeg.c35504ed2ce1c25a772628f5f81616f4.jpeg

image.jpeg.6cdea8e7c2bbecb7c499ff9790690c15.jpeg

Also had a set of Karoo 4's fit on Saturday morning.

From how good they felt on the road, and then on the dirt (Mixed surfaces from firm, sandy, muddy and snotty water saturated grass) Sunday I am looking forward to seeing how they fair going forwards.

Edited by Hairy

I see Track Daze has folded. Sad day. 

used to love going to superbike school at kyalami. 

Went to play around on the Parklands and Sunningdale North extents where they have cleared the bush for development, with the intention of doing a little sand practice/riding.

1. with all the rain we have had, the sand is a bit firmer than what one would see in summer for our area

2. there are wet sections that are properly saturated and are like loosey goosey 

3. some firmer gravely type sections

This was much easier than I anticipated, there are trails leading off from there in a few directions, some head out far and tie into more trails via longer swooping routes, and then the others veer into the more complex tight areas where the boys and girls play on their plastic bikes in the bush.

Following these more adv bike friendly routes on Google Earth and CoCT higher res aerial maps, you can basically go from the R27 and ride around the perimeter of Blaauwberg nature reserve and then tie into the railway roads or other paths and end up in Atlantis without riding any tar. From conversations with others, you can supposedly also get to Darling from this rail road and then from here there are many other gravel road alternatives to further explore on.

I am going to go back again, but will go with other riders as I did not want to go into the bush without back up and with informal settlements not far away there may well be a few skelms that also walk through the area picking off good guys walking through the bush taking short cuts to work and back.

Instead of flying to Josie for my aviation medical, I chose to ride Big Orange up. Has been an excellent trip, crossing the Orange River on the R717 and a short dirt track to Springfontein. Hot during the day in Josie. Tomorrow I head back……..looks to be a cold ride and a really cold start on Thursday after my overnight tomorrow in Middleberg.IMG_1199.jpeg.51b6ad1d09271adff0cd7402351bc447.jpegIMG_1200.jpeg.df08a9a1def59f62a553fe8e2f75193d.jpegIMG_1201.jpeg.83dd635e065d37f83ebb96d934f4147a.jpegIMG_1202.jpeg.8d447948f3230b3d0db1ee5a0b387856.jpeg

On 8/22/2024 at 3:16 PM, IceCreamMan said:

I see Track Daze has folded. Sad day. 

used to love going to superbike school at kyalami. 

Thought they just handed the Kyalami days over to someone else? Are they folding completely? 

7 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Thought they just handed the Kyalami days over to someone else? Are they folding completely? 

Good point. I was u der the impression they have folded completely.  It could be just the kyalami days. Although I do think they have folded completely, certainly the impression I got. 

12 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Good point. I was u der the impression they have folded completely.  It could be just the kyalami days. Although I do think they have folded completely, certainly the impression I got. 

I actually think you're right, the whole thing is gone. Which is a shame, Arno and Dave are good people who introduced many to the track. The cost of superbikes, and superbike racing have become so stupid over the years this was always bound to happen-I was hearing 4k for a track day. That was never going to last long. 

16 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I actually think you're right, the whole thing is gone. Which is a shame, Arno and Dave are good people who introduced many to the track. The cost of superbikes, and superbike racing have become so stupid over the years this was always bound to happen-I was hearing 4k for a track day. That was never going to last long. 

If I have to speculate, it most likely has a lot to do with the rate to rent Kyalami.  Since it was bought out and upgraded to current standards by Porsche, the rental to use the facilities at Kyalami has become very expensive.  Few people are willing to spend 4k for a track day, so you cannot attract the numbers to make the rental viable, so the days just don't happen anymore.

37 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

If I have to speculate, it most likely has a lot to do with the rate to rent Kyalami.  Since it was bought out and upgraded to current standards by Porsche, the rental to use the facilities at Kyalami has become very expensive.  Few people are willing to spend 4k for a track day, so you cannot attract the numbers to make the rental viable, so the days just don't happen anymore.

100 percent agree. I hear the rental costs are astronomical and coupled with cost of living crisis means folks are using money elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Kyalami owners need to move the track to Italy or Spain-I get the marketing point but this is insane. I actually found an old payment for R800. 

8 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

100 percent agree. I hear the rental costs are astronomical and coupled with cost of living crisis means folks are using money elsewhere. 

Marketplace - Pirelli Diablo supercorsa v4 set tyres | Facebook

Price of the wheels alone, is an entire MX race weekend including accomodation.