Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up this beast over the weekend from a mate of mine (KTM 520 EXC 2003).

He's just redone the entire motor (top and bottom end) and has given it to me to test ride.

His asking price is 15k. 

What you guys think, should I buy it?

At that price it seems like a good deal. If you get tired of throwing it around the bush as an Enduro bike, they also make a nice Adventure bike (Assuming that it has a lighting coil on it with it being an EXC... and you'll need to get it licensed of course!)

At that price it seems like a good deal. If you get tired of throwing it around the bush as an Enduro bike, they also make a nice Adventure bike (Assuming that it has a lighting coil on it with it being an EXC... and you'll need to get it licensed of course!)

Was looking into that...

It has a happy button (electric start) so i'm sure I could get a wiring harness with all the lights and indicators and just whip it on?

Was looking into that...

It has a happy button (electric start) so i'm sure I could get a wiring harness with all the lights and indicators and just whip it on?

We modified a few WR450's a few years back for road use - it's not that difficult, but they really made crap roadbikes. Suitable only for the really short trip. And even though they did have a lighting coil, the lights really weren't good enough - and the dim/bright thing was a mission. What also might be an issue is what the eNATIS code is loaded as on the system - if KTM have loaded that specific model as not for road use, you won't be able to get a disk - we were lucky, because we were doing the WR's through Yamaha, so we were able to list them as road use.

Just a word of caution, if the bike is'nt titled, registered/have papers - getting it on the road is a no go.  Unless you know someone in the right places.  It has to be datadotted, roadwortjied, plated - and all adds up, R5k should about cover the legalities of the process, excluding parts and wiring.

Even with papers I had immense issues getting my CRF450X on the road - so much so that I eventually gave up and sold the bike with wiring harness, motard wheels and tyres, speedomemer and all lights etc in place.

KTM's are great bikes, but expensive to work on compared to Honda, yamaha or Suzuki, so make sure what you are buying is good condition.

Also - that engine is pretty maintenance heavy, so buy bulk pack oil filters, 5l drums of oil and be sure to do routine maintenance on time - every time. Keep a log book with an hour meter on your bike.

Was looking into that...

In theory.... Do a Google search for KTM 525 EXC Adventure and have a look. Lots of ideas out there! Check if it has an Enatis registration. If not, swing by the licensing dept and see what's involved Might not be worth the hassle.

What year is it?

In theory.... Do a Google search for KTM 525 EXC Adventure and have a look. Lots of ideas out there! Check if it has an Enatis registration. If not, swing by the licensing dept and see what's involved Might not be worth the hassle.

What year is it?

It's a 2003 model, it was de-registered in 2008, the guy never bothered renewing the licence disk because he would never use it on the road. 

I had a chat with the guys at the licencing department, they recon it'll cost around 3k to get it street legal again. 

My plan is to hit the trails to remissness the old racing days, once I hurt myself, I want to strip it and build up a cafe racer.

post-49840-0-58277400-1414559855_thumb.jpg

post-49840-0-18797400-1414559856_thumb.jpg

post-49840-0-97068000-1414559856_thumb.jpg

It takes a lot of effort to get an "Enduro" bike on the road. And once you do, it's *** to ride on the road. My opinion of course. Bikes tend to really work on one type of surface only. Tyre choice, Gearing, Fuel Range, Wind protection, etc. remember, the saddle on a KTM 525 is there for show really. One doesn't sit offroad that much, now go on the road and sit on that saddle with you knees bent behind your ears. Not fun.

The idea behind my thought is to replace the KTM seat with one like in the images and only use the bike for short trips on the weekend.

I know it wont be the most practical scooter but damn, It'll look and sound bad ass!!!!

Hmmm, I have a KTM 525 and had a 520 (bought secondhand from a previous Roof class winner and well used) that did a good few 300km odd days in Lesotho, E Cape and N Natal, mainly on gravel roads.  Bearable provided you wear cycling shorts under offroad pants and stay off too much tar to avoid boredom. Neither bike had/has the engine touched or ever let me down. Lights were adequate for off road, that is all.

Obviously very limited "luggage" capacity. I use Giant Loop type throw over bags and a backpack/fanny pack.

Changed oil and cleaned air filter religiously. Lovely bikes.

I wouldn't use it as an everyday bike - I'd get locked up.

I use my BM GS450 on the road now mostly. Trips over 20kays are not nearly as much fun as the short commute to work through traffic! Have a second set of rims with off road setup on for when I want to hit the bush! Geared the bike longer so the motor works less when riding longer stretches. These bikes do not have the same maintenance schedule as a purpose built commuter, but you do spend far more time on the back wheel smiling your cheeks apart! If that floats your boat, it'll be worth every cent. If you're looking for a hassle free option, the thrill will die quick. Only you will know which rings true for you.