Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Unfortunately, I'm now waiting for Yamaha to deliver the last of the parts - not even I, who has "people on the Inside" can speed things up.  So this is what we do now.... smell the smoke, and upset the neighbours!

I must be honest with the delay in parts arriving I moved the 175 to the back of the garage and covered it up - there was not much more I could do and the excitement was waning a bit.  Just got this pic though from the Paint shop - and suddenly, I'm all amped about this bike again - I reckon it's going to be damn nice....

post-15215-0-97689900-1616660014_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be honest with the delay in parts arriving I moved the 175 to the back of the garage and covered it up - there was not much more I could do and the excitement was waning a bit.  Just got this pic though from the Paint shop - and suddenly, I'm all amped about this bike again - I reckon it's going to be damn nice....

thats sexy...

Question on the New KLR650...

Will South Africa be getting them and when? I can't find anything about it locally

Will South Africa be getting them and when? I can't find anything about it locally

I would think SA would be a key market given how many you see here.

I am going to say no, reason being emissions related. 

General consensus is no.

Thought I would shoot from the hip and ask Honda SA if they could by any chance support madam Itchy Boots on her travels through SA

Latest vid is out again BTW 

So Honda got back to me with the following reply:

Dear Mr. L. S....,

Thank you for taking time to contact Honda Customer Care.

Please note that, Honda Motor Southern Africa is unable to invest in any sponsorships for budgetary reasons.

In light of this, it is important to share with you out of interest as you might be aware that, the motor industry and business fraternity at large is currently experiencing a very difficult time and expenses are being censored wherever possible.

We trust you understand our position and we do wish you all the best.

Kind Regards

Z...... A.....a

Case Manager

And I in turn sent them this:

Hi Z......

Thank you for your response.

It may not be a situation of financial assistance in anyway, but I think she would be a very good brand ambassador / representative for Honda if it was a really simple thing such as inviting her to a dealership and if one of your experience adventure riders / staff members could take her on a short ride around whichever local area this person lives and works in and on your bikes that you are trying to sell in SA and abroad.

Even if Honda gives her bike a good clean and oil change while she is out on this ride it would show strong support. She has certainly grown her online presence and profile dramatically over the years.

What I do think she is doing successfully is showing that one can tour in SA on a smaller displacement motorcycle, and you do not need the biggest and greatest bikes to do so ... especially if you can not afford the big bikes. So doing she has created a huge interest for me in the smaller to medium displacement bike to do exactly what she is currently doing in SA.

Think out the box a little with this one and see the potential of getting lots of advertising mileage for very little to any financial investment.

@Andyman .... is there any potential brand exposure for your bike brand by showing her around on a demo/press bike for a day?

Dear Mr. L. S....,

Please note that, Honda Motor Southern Africa is unable to invest in any sponsorships for budgetary reasons.

In light of this, it is important to share with you out of interest as you might be aware that, the motor industry and business fraternity at large is currently experiencing a very difficult time and expenses are being censored wherever possible.

Kind Regards

Z...... A.....a

Case Manager

Hi Z......

It may not be a situation of financial assistance in anyway, but I think she would be a very good brand ambassador / representative for Honda if it was a really simple thing such as inviting her to a dealership and if one of your experience adventure riders / staff members could take her on a short ride around whichever local area this person lives and works in and on your bikes that you are trying to sell in SA and abroad.

Even if Honda gives her bike a good clean and oil change while she is out on this ride it would show strong support. She has certainly grown her online presence and profile dramatically over the years.

What I do think she is doing successfully is showing that one can tour in SA on a smaller displacement motorcycle, and you do not need the biggest and greatest bikes to do so ... especially if you can not afford the big bikes. So doing she has created a huge interest for me in the smaller to medium displacement bike to do exactly what she is currently doing in SA.

Think out the box a little with this one and see the potential of getting lots of advertising mileage for very little to any financial investment.

@Andyman .... is there any potential brand exposure for your bike brand by showing her around on a demo/press bike for a day?

If I was still at Yamaha I would have been all over her.  Wait, that sounds dodgy.  

I would have been all over her project and got her on an XT250 or a TW and had her at every dealership in the Country.  Todd Lawson and Cristina who I helped with AG200's go across Africa still sing Yamaha South Africa's praises almost 13 years later.  And Todd has just written a book about the Journey and guess what brand features...

Honda are missing something here.  But I'm afraid no BEE points to be scored so sadly that is what it is.

I'll say something else - I'm surprised BMW didn't get her on a 300GS because they would have milked it for all it was worth.  KTM too....

But Honda SA has always been like that hey - they are very Corporate

If I was still at Yamaha I would have been all over her. Wait, that sounds dodgy.

I would have been all over her project and got her on an XT250 or a TW and had her at every dealership in the Country. Todd Lawson and Cristina who I helped with AG200's go across Africa still sing Yamaha South Africa's praises almost 13 years later. And Todd has just written a book about the Journey and guess what brand features...

Honda are missing something here. But I'm afraid no BEE points to be scored so sadly that is what it is.

I own a Honda (car) and to date it has been the most expensive vehicle that I have owned in terms of maintenance costs when it had to go to the dealer out of service plan but still under warranty. Their customer care is lacking and sales service leaves a lot to be desired. The vehicles are great, it's just the people that work for the brand in KZN need a wakkerklap.

As an aside, we had an Audi before the Honda and service costs outside of Freeway Plan were half that of the Honda.

Dear Mr. L. S....,

Kind Regards

Z...... A.....a

Case Manager

Hi Z......

Good day Mr. L--- S-------,

Thank for the below response and all contents are well noted.

Kindly note that, customer care will share your ambassador request with the relevant department and should they be interested they will make further contact.

Herewith the above thank you for allowing us to assist.

Kind Regards

Z--------- A------

Case Manager

I own a Honda (car) and to date it has been the most expensive vehicle that I have owned in terms of maintenance costs when it had to go to the dealer out of service plan but still under warranty. Their customer care is lacking and sales service leaves a lot to be desired. The vehicles are great, it's just the people that work for the brand in KZN need a wakkerklap.

As an aside, we had an Audi before the Honda and service costs outside of Freeway Plan were half that of the Honda.

Well I had to buy windscreen wipers for my Wife's Jazz once and they are OEM only - was a cool R1300....

And the front brakes on the Jazz were over R6000 - just for two disks and two sets of pads.

Well I had to buy windscreen wipers for my Wife's Jazz once and they are OEM only - was a cool R1300....

And the front brakes on the Jazz were over R6000 - just for two disks and two sets of pads.

sounds like an S-Werks Viets

sounds like an S-Werks Viets

Lets be honest, it was a brilliant little car  - 175000kms and it did not even blow a globe.  Apart from regular services and the central locking which became erratic (ironically only after Honda did a factory recall on the block of switches in the door) it absolutely did not miss a beat.  But the service costs were eye-watering.  And a lot of the consumable parts like Filters are OEM only.

We always joked at Yamaha about Honda making brilliant boring Motorbikes.  We used the say the Honda Engineers had a motto - Better not to be annoyed than impressed.