Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

2 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

9.5L tank, this is due to the bike being so light - wet weight of 156kg.

Haha, well this is basically a glorified scrambler that is roadworthy, typical veld bike.

Won't be so smooth as your boxer engine from the 1200/1250GS.

A quick calc from my side

You running at around 4.7L/100km

I get around 5.3L/100km on the open road

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

A quick calc from my side

You running at around 4.7L/100km

I get around 5.3L/100km on the open road

I use the app Fuelio to keep track of my fuel consumption and the maintenance cost of the bike.

I average 4L/100km (combination of urban + open road).

spacer.png

So not complaining about that at all. I also weigh nothing, which also helps with fuel consumption.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Haha. My gamma gets 11 km to a litre. Uses more fuel than my wives big ass suv. 

and I use E5 fuel in it, at 1.79 a litre. And then it runs through high grade 2 smoke oil too. 

so around 3 rand a km. however , it’s cheap at any price given the kick it gives me 

10 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

@Spokey you are truly blessed to have the best of both worlds but you deserve it since you use them for what they are meant for! I must surely get out there with my G650X. Sadly I need first to do a shock overhaul, see it started leaking (lack of maintenance sadly). Will stop at Martin (MP Suspension) since it is one of his shocks to get it sorted.

How do you find the vibrations and wind on your 690? My Beemer vibrations over 120kph get a bit uncomfortable, so it is a bit tricky to keep at a higher cruising speed but then again I am being a bit unfair to the bike - highway cruising wasn't the main focal point when they designed this bike.

The range on yours? If I don't ride like an idiot, I will probably get 200km on my tank. I see you have the trusty Desert Fox cells attached to your bike.

You are lucky to have such nice dirt roads/scenery right on your doorstep. Here in Durbanville, you should head quite out in search of some gravel - which means a lot of highway/tar riding to get there.

Hey Andrew

I am a little perplexed at the range…….reason is that I have the Rade Garage long range under seat tank fitted. 13, 5 l standard plus 6 on the LR tank.  Now…..I thought the bike would use the fuel from the main (rear ) tank and keep that filled up via the underseat LR tank……However….! I had vibrated the right side rally screen mounting bolts off, lost in Diepwalle Forest. ( fixed 5hat with cable ties in the short term)

At home today I took the seat and side fairings off to replace the lost bolts…..eikona wena………the Long Range extended Tank still has several litres of fuel in it and when I open the rear (Main tank )it is certainly not full. I have done 180kms since top off. Now I am confused as to how the fuel is being used! 
much easier in the aeroplane I operate as a day job!

Seems to me that I should manage 260kms plus a bit!  at least with out the extra Desert Fox bladder.

I do not mind the vibration……tis a big single after all, though I find it manageable. She can manage 150 kph easily but I plan my trips to cruise at around 100 on the tar bits, first to save the knobblies and secondly, yes, comfort. The Rally Screen does make a difference, but it has its limitations. I do not like it when looking ahead at close obstacles……I am looking through the screen and it is not as comfortable as looking over a screen…….I guess I can cut it back……as I did on my KLR!!

I love this bike a lot……I like the light weight and power. Yes a single is not for everybody. I relish the dirt on this machine and look at the tar bits as just connecting the dirt!
It is not far off the power of  a Yam T700 and a lot lighter!

I am only 176cm tall (short) I have added a Rost Racing lowering link in the rear suspension and have cut the  side stand by 10mm. I can sit feet almost flat on the tar…….honestly another 5 mm could come off the stand but now I am just careful how I park. I did not drop the front by a corresponding half inch and after many KM’s I like the way the bike sits.

Hope that gives some gen!

Edited by Spokey
Fuel tank info

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

975cc HD

Rumor has it that the same motor is destined for smaller Pan America... 🤔

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

Rumor has it that the same motor is destined for smaller Pan America... 🤔

That would be interesting!!!!!

On 4/10/2022 at 9:56 PM, Spokey said:

1675821C-C25B-48A9-9F88-1FBE74E14177.jpeg.94f81cf7f0a18efa88ca3b15293d626a.jpeg3469286E-73DA-4DC5-A5A4-B068183859E8.jpeg.5741572c72f39b1749192c6368519ae8.jpeg08FB5BE5-B966-4714-B5B0-F155F13892BE.jpeg.9bc65318e0621c0ddb2ced394e4d7814.jpegF277B0A8-C841-41F6-84AF-EA3676928408.jpeg.0a866ff46ab17a31d44da4349448c037.jpeg35FED71B-CD49-4DEB-A376-CB3701365515.jpeg.26a5cfce274a00de2f67a99e3cc7a873.jpegDC054EEA-3780-408B-ADE5-AF1E7AF45ADB.jpeg.db54484b0e492114446181dabbcb31a5.jpegA little of my jaunt today. Hoekwil return via, Seven Passes Road, Kom se Pad, De Vlugt, N9, Montegu Pass. I was going to return through the Kamanasie valley but I had lost both mounting bolts for the Rally fairing on the very potholed Diepwalle Forrest road…..thank heavens for zip ties. Note to self…….Big Single approved threadlock!

That is such a beautiful area! I'd love to come though there on the bike again and someday take my family through there aswell. 👌

7 hours ago, BenReaper said:

That is such a beautiful area! I'd love to come though there on the bike again and someday take my family through there aswell. 👌

If you are passing Hoekwil, pop in for a beer or coffee. Perhaps we should arrange a Hub Motorcylist ride some time!

17 hours ago, Spokey said:

If you are passing Hoekwil, pop in for a beer or coffee. Perhaps we should arrange a Hub Motorcylist ride some time!

Sounds like an open invitation, so I thought I would check it out and see how long a drive it will be for a cup of coffee from my house.

image.png.776a78a3eede2be58452f6430b28626f.png