Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Sorry Hairy, seems you like this but for me it just shows there are still a lot of people with more money than taste........

Hey we are all different ... I mean we have people who ride single speeds, people who ride bikes that shift with batteries and then people who ride bikes on batteries.

As long as we can all agree that red bikes are faster.

30 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Hey we are all different ... I mean we have people who ride single speeds, people who ride bikes that shift with batteries and then people who ride bikes on batteries.

As long as we can all agree that red bikes are faster.

Faster and prettier yes😉

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Faster and prettier yes😉

Exactly how I feel about my Ducati 1098!

Bought an Akropovic for my ready to race 33 wannabe KTM. It was a huge amount of money for a 390 and will be at best good for a kilo weight reduction and maybe 0.35 bhp but it makes me giggle. It’s why we ride bikes I spose. Going to farkle this wee Beast up over time and as funds allow. Superb lil bike for this island. 

76C63AEA-56FC-4796-9009-D7D3A3B8096B.jpeg

I went to test ride a Honda NC750X (Manual) yesterday.

Bike is nice and light, feels perky at lower speeds and rather agile. The in-line twin makes a little whistle sound under hard acceleration which was strange, and the bike is crying out for a decent slip on exhaust.

The windshield is not massive, but keeps the wind off your torso, and the wind that comes around the windshield is rather "clean" with no buffeting.

A nice bike to ride, but not a bike I would like to own.

When getting off the bike it did not leave me with a feeling of "fun"....then again this bike is meant to be a commuter, so for that purpose she is would be great.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:58 AM, Hairy said:

OK, now I know you JHB dudes and dudets were out here

Skinny is a good mate of mine. We partied a lot back in ZA. Miss the warm sunny biking weather. 

one year , moons ago. The mighty fearless bike club I belong too and the insipid cuzzins organise a rally with a rude name somewhere in ZA. In 2017 it was in Niue Bethesda, about 800 Kay’s from jozi. I was on my duke 690 so thought I would leave early in the morning. So leave jozi and stop about 100 kms south of jozi on side of highway. It’s still around 6 am. I see these 2 bikes come down the road and they stop. It’s skinny and chickita on their way to said rally. Skinny whips out the jack danials and we have a shot on the side of the road. We split up somewhere south of bloem after breakfast as they want to go off road. Chickita fell at some point and went to be medically checked out. They then continued their journey and met up again in Nieu Bethesda later that evening for lots more jack Daniel’s. 

Saturday arvie we all sitting in the African sun eating and dopping and it’s the last time I ever saw Blackie as he passed soon after (RIP) and while consuming quarts I mention that I will be emigrating. Skinny punched me as she was annoyed by yet another person leaving. 

So, my mighty RF been giving me grief and this morning I realised I have day to myself so thought as good a time as ever to sort it. 

Remove tank, run compression test. All within spec at 31 000 miles and 30 years. Replaced plugs while doing said test. Rules out valves and timing so next step take carbs off and clean. Noticed the choke “rail” was sticking so sorted that. Put carbs back on, refitted everything. Thumbed starter, after about 3 seconds fired up. Purrs like a kitten agin and good for another 30 years. Not sure exactly what the issue was but suspect this hideous E10 fuel we get. Although I have been vigilant to fill up with E5 now and again no choice. Went for a Lekker lil ride. These old skool 4 cylinder Suzukis are incredibly smooth and silky. Love them. 

so all in all, a Lekker feeling when you fix something hey. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:30 AM, Hairy said:

I went to test ride a Honda NC750X (Manual) yesterday.

Bike is nice and light, feels perky at lower speeds and rather agile. The in-line twin makes a little whistle sound under hard acceleration which was strange, and the bike is crying out for a decent slip on exhaust.

The windshield is not massive, but keeps the wind off your torso, and the wind that comes around the windshield is rather "clean" with no buffeting.

A nice bike to ride, but not a bike I would like to own.

When getting off the bike it did not leave me with a feeling of "fun"....then again this bike is meant to be a commuter, so for that purpose she is would be great.

Test rode one years ago and was left feeling the same. Its a 2 cylinder honda jazz (it really is) and thats what it is. A commuter, lots of storage etc etc etc