Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

ok makes sense.

In this country though I would not trust counting white lines, my bet is that they dont really stick to a uniform length and distance apart.

So at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, back in the 80's and 90's they were very accurate - but funny enough, they used to be different as you moved from Natal to the FS and then Gauteng.  And telephone poles used to be very accurate too - across all provinces.  But you never needed to rely on them because all the roads had clearly visible km stones.

Now not so much - very few district roads still have km stones and if they do, they are hidden with long grass.  Even in the Western Cape!

The big problem we have now unfortunately, is that its very easy to quickly check your speed on a phone or a Garmin - yes, it's not only in Zwift where people do electronic doping!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, Andymann said:

And the two I will cherish the most - My Dad and I at the bottom of Bains Kloof Pass after I had to chase him down - still a teenager at 86 and then the start of Day 2.

IMG-20231107-WA0008.jpg

20231106_103755.jpg

Wonderful. I do hope I can still be tearing it up around the country side at a similar age……if I make it that long anyways!

42 minutes ago, Spokey said:

I just had to……should be delivered next week. It is the smallest addition to my collection.IMG_0723.jpeg.364e179bcc4c77159fad2db5715cb520.jpeg

Nice!! What year?

My dad had one, but I guessing an older model ('69/'70) as it had chrome 'sides' to the petrol tank.  Sitting as a small kid on the tank holding onto the cross brace on the handle bars as he puttered round the garden with the smell of 2 stoke in the air are my earliest motorcycling memories...

Then it stood in the garage for years and when I was around 11, and tall enough, he dusted it off and taught me how to ride on it.     

7 hours ago, Stoffel76 said:

Nice!! What year?

My dad had one, but I guessing an older model ('69/'70) as it had chrome 'sides' to the petrol tank.  Sitting as a small kid on the tank holding onto the cross brace on the handle bars as he puttered round the garden with the smell of 2 stoke in the air are my earliest motorcycling memories...

Then it stood in the garage for years and when I was around 11, and tall enough, he dusted it off and taught me how to ride on it.     

Late model, 1980 apparently. I believe they were made up until 1983 and even featured disc brakes.

22 hours ago, Hairy said:

Looks really cool, but after watching this video I will stick with my KTM 690 R Rally. I enjoyed his talking of the thrill of the 690’s power…..smile on the dial each time I ride it! BM 13000 is new to me!

On 11/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, Spokey said:

I just had to……should be delivered next week. It is the smallest addition to my collection.IMG_0723.jpeg.364e179bcc4c77159fad2db5715cb520.jpeg

These go for big money here. Seen a 1973 help my trap version go for 12 grand. Actual selling price. One like this probably around 5 grand. That’s 120k zar. Crazy hey. 

18 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

These go for big money here. Seen a 1973 help my trap version go for 12 grand. Actual selling price. One like this probably around 5 grand. That’s 120k zar. Crazy hey. 

Yeah, I will perhaps look for a Honda SS 50 as well. The two little bikes and a few of my others may end up heading to UK at some point. However that is a future plan, will see…….

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

I am sure some of you have watched the old warhorse's new lease on life ... if not, here is a teaser to get into some of the other vids.

Riding around Oz is on my bucket list. 

On 11/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, Spokey said:

Yeah, I will perhaps look for a Honda SS 50 as well. The two little bikes and a few of my others may end up heading to UK at some point. However that is a future plan, will see…….

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

SS50 is not something you see come up for sale too often. Just don’t have the allure of the fs50 for some reason. Probably worth around 4 to 5 grand. Never seen one at the regular haunts either come to think of it.