Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Despite my earlier comment re the bike collection and the Missus being happy……………

we drove to the Mother City today to take a look at a reasonably rare potential addition to the stable. A 2006 Ducati 749 Dark. Bike has just 13000 kms on and is almost perfect, just one or two tiny marks on the plastics. The Missus decided it would be a great stablemate to the 1098. So……..long story short, I have become the custodian of this fine little motorcycle and hope like heck its value increases as I believe it should. These Pierre Terblanche bikes (999 included) did not have the popularity of the preceding Tamburini designs. I personally feel the 749 and 999 styling is still relevant today.  So here she is, Dark edition in Matt Black. Completely original including the tool kit behind the right fairing and Ducati exhaust. Tyres are Bridgestone S23’s so they will need a change to some appropriate Pirelli hoops.IMG_0945.jpeg.f2573b7fe7b3b0b31f3d7e830afc74a3.jpeg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Spokey said:

Despite my earlier comment re the bike collection and the Missus being happy……………

we drove to the Mother City today to take a look at a reasonably rare potential addition to the stable. A 2006 Ducati 749 Dark. Bike has just 13000 kms on and is almost perfect, just one or two tiny marks on the plastics. The Missus decided it would be a great stablemate to the 1098. So……..long story short, I have become the custodian of this fine little motorcycle and hope like heck its value increases as I believe it should. These Pierre Terblanche bikes (999 included) did not have the popularity of the preceding Tamburini designs. I personally feel the 749 and 999 styling is still relevant today.  So here she is, Dark edition in Matt Black. Completely original including the tool kit behind the right fairing and Ducati exhaust. Tyres are Bridgestone S23’s so they will need a change to some appropriate Pirelli hoops.IMG_0945.jpeg.f2573b7fe7b3b0b31f3d7e830afc74a3.jpeg

What are the chances of a pic with the full stable of bikes together please :)

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Do any camera brands make a lens that is wide enough??  😝

Just now, Stoffel76 said:

Do any camera brands make a lens that is wide enough??  😝

All cellphones can do a panoramic :P

RM125.jpg.0ad57b8e1e22cefee05f2c2efa9303bd.jpg

This made its way into my garage at home after my 16 year old suddenly expressed an interest in bikes. 

It has been stripped, we were doing the top end and discovered some weird issues, like a very lean (for altitude) pilot jet, which has lead to some cylinder damage.  So off to the engineering shop we went and the cylinder is being sorted. 

Once all of the work is done, it should make a lekker "starter bike" for a 16 year old.

What has been nice about the project so far is the bonding with my son, as we spend time in the garage, stripping and cleaning and rebuilding.  

Can't wait to get the bits back to get it together again and smell the 2 stroke in the air!

18 hours ago, Spokey said:

Been looking  at a few myself. Values are picking up a bit. And I prefer the 748/9 to the 996/8/9 motors.

congrats. Looks a beauty. 

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

A strong possibility, just not for the next few weeks as I am off to work again tomorrow. Bikes are all packed up and snoozing!

My eldest and I hopped on the HD Sat. morning to go through to Killarney to watch some of the racing for the first time.

A rather fun spectator sport, and the skid pan to the side is also entertaining to watch the guys drifting ... these guys have some serious skills!

Highlight though was the bike racing, turns out the my eldest's school buddy from last year (Out of school now) races in the Super Bike Cat. The youngster was hammering away in the lead till the second or third last lap where he was overtaken on a corner and eventually finishing second. These guys in the front are really moving!

Will definitely go through to watch again.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:36 PM, IceCreamMan said:

On weekend I was at Rykas and saw this. Never seen one before  

IMG_9459.jpeg

Ah - a Hesketh.  Lord Hesketh wanted to try and revive the British Motorcycle Industry by building something which owners of Vincents could relate to.  I think they only made about 150 of them before the factory closed its doors.  Really rare!

On 4/5/2024 at 3:43 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

RM125.jpg.0ad57b8e1e22cefee05f2c2efa9303bd.jpg

This made its way into my garage at home after my 16 year old suddenly expressed an interest in bikes. 

It has been stripped, we were doing the top end and discovered some weird issues, like a very lean (for altitude) pilot jet, which has lead to some cylinder damage.  So off to the engineering shop we went and the cylinder is being sorted. 

Once all of the work is done, it should make a lekker "starter bike" for a 16 year old.

What has been nice about the project so far is the bonding with my son, as we spend time in the garage, stripping and cleaning and rebuilding.  

Can't wait to get the bits back to get it together again and smell the 2 stroke in the air!

You won't be sorry - we had to make a call and stop my Dad from riding some of the really old Velocettes (the pre 1936 bikes) and when one of the guys came round to collect he saw the "Special" my Dad and I built almost 20 years ago.  He made me a really attractive offer, but I declined because it was the first Velocette that my Dad and I built together and I just don't want to lose those memories.  Shame my Dad was quite emotional when he heard me say that.

1 hour ago, Andymann said:

You won't be sorry - we had to make a call and stop my Dad from riding some of the really old Velocettes (the pre 1936 bikes) and when one of the guys came round to collect he saw the "Special" my Dad and I built almost 20 years ago.  He made me a really attractive offer, but I declined because it was the first Velocette that my Dad and I built together and I just don't want to lose those memories.  Shame my Dad was quite emotional when he heard me say that.

prob one of the nicest thing your Dad would ever hear a son/daughter saying something like that.

Hairy asked for some pics……..here are a few. The bike room is undergoing some rearranging so some of the wall mounted pics need moving. I plan to build a platform for the small Yam FS 50 to sit against the wall above the CB 400 and CB 750. The big Yam FZR will park alongside the Aprillia 125 when it returns from the respray and refresh in CT. The big German Fraulein needs the Certificate of Authenticity from BMW Heritage in Munich to be mounted on the wall near her parking. Currently the DT125, KLR650 and XL600s are in my old mud brick garage. The XL awaiting rebuild, the KLR awaiting repairs from my “close terrain inspection” in Baviaans and the little DT is simply keepling the two company!! The Big Katoom was waiting for me to get the back wheel in (done). 
The Yam T7 was jolling outside and missed the photos! The Ducati shirts are from Montreal, Barcelona and London. There are a lot of small boxed models, Tamiya kits(to build), coffee cups and general “bike stuff” that are in another part of my bike room. Al but the FS50 and XL600 are on battery chargers and kept running. All have papers and are licenced.IMG_0957.jpeg.d9d1dc5d935ccd6bcf6afe921968cbb7.jpegIMG_0956.jpeg.d6cb6a0cb17f42e4ab15cd42df2d99e7.jpegIMG_0955.jpeg.0f763624fbc5e926643ef88bb90be7d9.jpegIMG_0954.jpeg.0d587f20aa8d2ef337bfe682bd2685c1.jpegIMG_0953.png.bf7c4d630b3860ee681fcb695f6a5ddd.png

Edited by Spokey
Content

11 hours ago, Spokey said:

Hairy asked for some pics……..here are a few. The bike room is undergoing some rearranging so some of the wall mounted pics need moving. I plan to build a platform for the small Yam FS 50 to sit against the wall above the CB 400 and CB 750. The big Yam FZR will park alongside the Aprillia 125 when it returns from the respray and refresh in CT. The big German Fraulein needs the Certificate of Authenticity from BMW Heritage in Munich to be mounted on the wall near her parking. Currently the DT125, KLR650 and XL600s are in my old mud brick garage. The XL awaiting rebuild, the KLR awaiting repairs from my “close terrain inspection” in Baviaans and the little DT is simply keepling the two company!! The Big Katoom was waiting for me to get the back wheel in (done). 
The Yam T7 was jolling outside and missed the photos! The Ducati shirts are from Montreal, Barcelona and London. There are a lot of small boxed models, Tamiya kits(to build), coffee cups and general “bike stuff” that are in another part of my bike room. Al but the FS50 and XL600 are on battery chargers and kept running. All have papers and are licenced.IMG_0957.jpeg.d9d1dc5d935ccd6bcf6afe921968cbb7.jpegIMG_0956.jpeg.d6cb6a0cb17f42e4ab15cd42df2d99e7.jpegIMG_0955.jpeg.0f763624fbc5e926643ef88bb90be7d9.jpegIMG_0954.jpeg.0d587f20aa8d2ef337bfe682bd2685c1.jpegIMG_0953.png.bf7c4d630b3860ee681fcb695f6a5ddd.png

Chopper mk1 goes for long cash here. 

12 hours ago, Spokey said:

I think it's fair to say everyone one this thread is (Kawasaki) green with envy! 😄

Very nice collection!

🤔but I dunno, I think there's a CBX1000 missing... 

(Go on everybody, encourage Spokey to buy one of your bucket list bikes!) 🤣

13 hours ago, Spokey said:

Congrats, that is pretty awesome.

Use them and enjoy them!

8 hours ago, Stoffel76 said:

I think it's fair to say everyone one this thread is (Kawasaki) green with envy! 😄

Very nice collection!

🤔but I dunno, I think there's a CBX1000 missing... 

(Go on everybody, encourage Spokey to buy one of your bucket list bikes!) 🤣

Thank you, yes a CBX would be great……….It might not be difficult to get the Missus into that, she does like them! Prices rising though……