Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

And it is a monza 250. keeps on throwing oil where the top joins the block, just below the exhaust "manifold" 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sprays a few drops every time that I ride. About 1 liter per 2 tanks. 

The one guy suggested that I just re-torque all the bolts and nuts. 

Edited by Allrounder

Top and exhaust. 

It sprays a few drops every time that I ride. About 1 liter per 2 tanks. 

The one guy suggested that I just re-torque all the bolts and nuts. 

Yeah that isn't terrible advice, it may well work. I've often come across the chinese stuff  with very loose fasteners in concerning places.

I'm pretty sure that Chinese motorcycle Spares in Durban Rd would have one of those. Or the bike/scooter place across the road from them.

Worst case scenario..

The head gasket is usually a paper one with an aluminuim crush ring around the sleeve so you could very easily strip it and reuse it with any use a good grade gasket sealer.

Thanks Az. 

I will give it a go over the weekend and update here. 

(Chinese motorbike spares and Motomapro in Voortrekker road say the do not stock those gaskets. )

Just to clarify, I open her up, clean everything a bit, and then put gasket sealer on the old gasket and tighten her up again?

Before going to all that effort, try and ascertain the proper, correct torque figures for those bolts, and torque them down properly. Quite sure this will solve your problem. Be very careful not to over tighten them.

If the problem persists, then go looking for new gaskets, and tighten them down to the correct figures.

Just to clarify, I open her up, clean everything a bit, and then put gasket sealer on the old gasket and tighten her up again?

yeah that sounds right, give the old gasket a wipe with a petrol rag so the new sealer can get a good grip.

Take a photo of the gasket when you get it off and I'll track one for you for next time.

(Surprised about the CMS place, I used to get all my gaskets from them)

3.3 l per 100 km is fantastic. I heard the GS 650 does 4 liters per 100 as well as the NC 750

I think for a scooter it's the norm not so? 

Being so tall I look weird on such a small bike but enjoy the freedom it gives me. 

3.3 l per 100 km is fantastic. I heard the GS 650 does 4 liters per 100 as well as the NC 750

My tiger 800XC is giving me around 4.5l/100km at the moment.

Can get it way down when in hooligan mode though......