• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

I think there's an adventurer in you somewhere

100%

After telling everyone that I have all the bikes I've ever wanted and that I won't be buying anything again, I went for breakfast last weekend in Potch (with a bike trailer for no particular reason) and this followed me home.  FB Marketplace I hate you....

Seriously though, after having so much fun on the Natal Classic on the little DT I realized that the future of Classic Rallies in SA with its terrible roads is a late 80's/early 90's bike with long travel suspension and a 21" front wheel.  The 175 was just a bit buzzy so it also had to be a 4-stroke, and because I kick the Velocette's enough, and electric start would also be nice. And finally it has to be a Yamaha because the other bikes in the Garage are racist.  It's always about race....

Voila!  A 1994 XTZ660 Tenere - Used, but not terribly abused.

Needs a few things - an OEM Screen, a new (used) front mudguard, and a bit of a clean-up, but generally it's in fairly decent condition for a bike which was used for what it was intended.

Now, repeat after me - I will not turn this into Garage Queen.  I will not turn this into a Garage Queen....

347412041_623893396366475_2121392451694291962_n.jpg

347420720_623893549699793_6660838049036071576_n.jpg

352805359_623896359699512_3032168391636319440_n.jpg

Great looking machine that Andy, congrats. 

I had a 2009 tenere660 which I bought from the first shipment that hit ZA and which took forever to get to ZA. Loved that machine. Took me everywhere. 

Been looking at some green leaning bikes here. Can register full on enduro bikes here so long they have a tail light so looking at that but possibly a smaller cc xt could do the trick and be a whole lot cheaper. 

My girl is back in hospital AGAIN.

This time it looks to be the starter clutch that died on me, and I still need to place an order with Harley too for a new speedometer as I can not find a second hand one anywhere in SA.

My patience is wearing very thin on this bike now, and clearly the great deal I was picking up on a older 2008 bike with only 20K on the clock was not all it was meant to be as told on the showroom floor. The amount of repairs and maintance items I have made good on the bike is in my mind a complete joke....but she is in far better condition now than when I bought her ... just wish I knew this when I made the purchase.

I love riding her, so this has now turned into a love / hate relationship for me.

The past two weeks I have started passively looking at other bike options again.

59 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Sorry to hear that Hairy. Bikes can be expensive for sure and we just have to remind ourselves of the joy we get from them. Hope you get snorted soon and cheaply.

Thanks man, I will take just getting sorted properly vs sorted cheaply and potentially more issues.

Been toying with selling the HD, buying a slightly older Tenere and then take the extra cash, and save up for another HD in the future.

57 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

And here's why I came here in the first place. An unusual sighting this afternoon up Chappies.IMG_20230722_144509.jpg.37fb8120306d7f309b026d1d6e8c0f01.jpgIMG_20230722_150021.jpg.888aaaac7940cf6e93b4228d61059802.jpgIMG_20230722_143931_1.jpg.f986d33e2b59d45904d9c63b9820ff2c.jpg

IMG_20230722_150432_1.jpg

Ok that is awesome ... is it one of our subs that is actually working?

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

My girl is back in hospital AGAIN.

This time it looks to be the starter clutch that died on me, and I still need to place an order with Harley too for a new speedometer as I can not find a second hand one anywhere in SA.

My patience is wearing very thin on this bike now, and clearly the great deal I was picking up on a older 2008 bike with only 20K on the clock was not all it was meant to be as told on the showroom floor. The amount of repairs and maintance items I have made good on the bike is in my mind a complete joke....but she is in far better condition now than when I bought her ... just wish I knew this when I made the purchase.

I love riding her, so this has now turned into a love / hate relationship for me.

The past two weeks I have started passively looking at other bike options again.

You doing a lot of miles and a Harley is a high maintenance mistress. ( to be fair motorcycles are not cheap alternatives to cars from a maintenance perspective unless wee commuter type bikes) 

harley is a big lumbering twin with high forces in the motor. 

but they have a unique ownership experience. And the gals love em. 

maybe time to move on and look at adventure bikes. Think you will enjoy the ownership experience.