Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An update on two of my bikes - the first being the TRX850.  I've never really been happy with the silencers on the bike.  They had nice Akrapovic stickers but were definitely just stickers and the system was still the OEM system.  A new OVER racing system from Japan was R30K and I definitely wasn't going to spend that. A few months back I ran past a house near to where I stay and saw the guys were working on bikes.  Turns out the Stealth Exhaust guys now work from home.  Got chatting and Jaco reckoned if I could get him dimensions of the OVER system he could build me one - those were easy to get so dropped the bike off last month and got it back on Friday.  What a difference - it's a completely different bike.  I can only think that at sometime in it's life it must have had a full system on because the jetting is spot on - it runs so well and really sounds great.  Even more like a 748 now than ever.  Just missing the Ducati the rattling clutch!

IMG-20230829-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0028.jpg

As for the XTZ I've committed to riding it with my Dad in the Fairest Cape Rally on the 5, 6 and 7th November so while he will be on a Classic, I will be on the XTZ.  Definitely not the roads it was designed for, but still going to be fun.  So the last month has just been getting it neatened up a bit and just replacing a whole bunch of non-Yamaha stuff.  The most expensive being the choke.  There was something not quote right with the choke - really tight, hardly any movement and the position on the dash surround seemed right but the plastic had no support which was very unlike Yamaha.  Anyway I suspected the cable was wrong so ordered a new OEM cable and then saw that some of the choke mechanism bits were missing so just bought a whole new choke kit.  One of the parts I ordered - a bracket is discontinued and I figured that was probably the support under the plastic so wasn't too stressed because I figured I could make a plan.  When all the stuff arrived the new cable was way too short so after some Googling I realised that the cable goes nowhere near the dash and actually mounts on the handlebar saddle.  Which is where the bracket was needed.  Anyway I had to make something out of SS plate for now, but today I ordered another random piece of Yamaha exotica off ebay - a R500 piece of metal......

20230904_194418.jpg

20230904_194401(2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

11 minutes ago, Andymann said:

An update on two of my bikes - the first being the TRX850.  I've never really been happy with the silencers on the bike.  They had nice Akrapovic stickers but were definitely just stickers and the system was still the OEM system.  A new OVER racing system from Japan was R30K and I definitely wasn't going to spend that. A few months back I ran past a house near to where I stay and saw the guys were working on bikes.  Turns out the Stealth Exhaust guys now work from home.  Got chatting and Jaco reckoned if I could get him dimensions of the OVER system he could build me one - those were easy to get so dropped the bike off last month and got it back on Friday.  What a difference - it's a completely different bike.  I can only think that at sometime in it's life it must have had a full system on because the jetting is spot on - it runs so well and really sounds great.  Even more like a 748 now than ever.  Just missing the Ducati the rattling clutch!

IMG-20230829-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0028.jpg

Awesome and congrats.

Took a look at Stealth WWW gallery and see that someone with a Fat Bob get a full exhaust from them that looks rather nice.
image.png.ff6128ce40c8fe5a0bd171c6e95e47fa.png

And finally it would be remiss of me not to mention the SM610 which I finally got running really well and I'll be damned if I have grown a bit attached to it.  It's still on the market, but lets just say I haven't been entertaining any time wasters!

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Awesome and congrats.

Took a look at Stealth WWW gallery and see that someone with a Fat Bob get a full exhaust from them that looks rather nice.
image.png.ff6128ce40c8fe5a0bd171c6e95e47fa.png

His price for my system was very reasonable hey - under R10k for everything.....

On 9/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, Andymann said:

IMG-20230829-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20230829-WA0028.jpg

Really like your TRX, if you ever wish to sell……………

Am sitting in London, back earning my crust. Took a lovely ride through the Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp areas last Sunday before my return to work Tuesday.  The flowers have been stunning. I was thinking to get rid of this big machine as with the 60th approaching more rapidly than I care to wish, I find she is a heavy girl to manoeuvre around the garage. But boy, she sure rides nice, will just leave that there ………….IMG_0608.jpeg.7e6bd8c104e53aa742c9cfee426612cd.jpegIMG_0610.jpeg.471612a5a8f26cbf52a19f48c7688b91.jpegIMG_0612.jpeg.d5e1a10a384d8b953cd8cda824d3c40f.jpegIMG_0613.jpeg.dee8d6b96489a6a2e91ba889a03a4407.jpegIMG_0614.jpeg.d2239ce2e521e13f5bfe0398fb8320cd.jpeg

So, after a few glasses of the Capes finest fermented grape juice,  I had decided to swop the big old Katoom for an R model with the big wheels, which was available at my friendly local bike shop.  With some sanity prevailing and a sensible determination of my biking requirements as I age, my Missus has treated me for my 60th!! Yes, she is a keeper……, the Missus and the bike!IMG_0604.jpeg.99d1286eccd5d76602b4c5a107cae446.jpegI shall only collect her at month end as I am out at work. In the meantime I am having her coated with the VPS film, and having a headlamp protecter and crash bars fitted together with a tougher bash plate, to replace this tooth paste tube original. This bike is now meant to be my last bike purchase. Crazy thing is, when she is as old as my big Katoom I will be 70! Anyways, the big Katoom will be cleaned up and used as my two up sports tourer.

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

Went to a bike night tonight. Summer is finally here albeit for 2 or 3 days and it’s bliss. Bike night is at the Iron bull road house pub in Basingstoke area. Was busy and run by a saffa. UK is full of saffas and there were a few there too. They do boerie rolls etc and it’s a roaring success. But I digress.

I like to look at bikes and tonight I saw this victory. Without doubt the largest motorcycle I have ever seen. Like a battleship. It was impressive even if a lil impractical but each to their own. Build for the interstates of the USA. 

IMG_8574.jpeg

10 hours ago, Spokey said:

So, after a few glasses of the Capes finest fermented grape juice,  I had decided to swop the big old Katoom for an R model with the big wheels, which was available at my friendly local bike shop.  With some sanity prevailing and a sensible determination of my biking requirements as I age, my Missus has treated me for my 60th!! Yes, she is a keeper……, the Missus and the bike!IMG_0604.jpeg.99d1286eccd5d76602b4c5a107cae446.jpegI shall only collect her at month end as I am out at work. In the meantime I am having her coated with the VPS film, and having a headlamp protecter and crash bars fitted together with a tougher bash plate, to replace this tooth paste tube original. This bike is now meant to be my last bike purchase. Crazy thing is, when she is as old as my big Katoom I will be 70! Anyways, the big Katoom will be cleaned up and used as my two up sports tourer.

So the only thing I have heard about the T7 is that he silencer bracket is a bit soft so if you unintentionally bump it, it moves the silencer inwards and then can wear a lovely mark on the swingarm......other than that, it's a winner that bike

10 hours ago, Spokey said:

Really like your TRX, if you ever wish to sell……………

Haha.  But you can't buy it, because apparently you have now bought your last bike 😉

The funny thing is, I actually was considering selling it because it isn't that comfortable for my wife on the back, and it was very unpleasant in town due to what I thought was just the nature of the engine below 2000rpm.

But since I put the new system on, well wow.

I think I might just hang on to it for a bit

Enjoying this thread. Thanks.

I have been invited to ride some karoo roads at the end of the month, and I am seriously looking forward. Not sure what I'll be riding, as the logistics of getting down and back up from JHB in limited amount of time means my bike stays home.

My bike riding is limited to commuting at this stage, ( I got excited as I had to go via pretoria this morning to pick up my fork from Cogent)

Will try an make an concerted effort to ride for leisure once my exam is done.

14 hours ago, Andymann said:

Haha.  But you can't buy it, because apparently you have now bought your last bike 😉

The funny thing is, I actually was considering selling it because it isn't that comfortable for my wife on the back, and it was very unpleasant in town due to what I thought was just the nature of the engine below 2000rpm.

But since I put the new system on, well wow.

I think I might just hang on to it for a bit

Ha Ha, As you know the last bike is always N+1! Theory is my last bike for me to ride. I have a rather daft idea involving more older bikes in an attempt to make a few bob. If it works…..great, if not……I get more bikes than are really necessary…………….so, no difference then!!

Edited by Spokey
Detail

14 hours ago, Andymann said:

So the only thing I have heard about the T7 is that he silencer bracket is a bit soft so if you unintentionally bump it, it moves the silencer inwards and then can wear a lovely mark on the swingarm......other than that, it's a winner that bike

Yeah, I believe that. I am looking at high pipe options, like an Akropovic or Remus end can with the high mount link. Means moving the indicators at the rear. Other option is to fit rear luggage racks. Good protection  but bulky looking……… I shall wait and see, not rush to get this off road.