Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you Riff Raff have any experience with the Suzuki DRZ 400 E?

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

Nope not me

I keep spinning in circles here.

Looks like I am falling back on the neighbours Tenere XT660Z again as the price has dropped to 45K, is meant to have around 20K mileage and has been looked after. Currently she is in storage on "the farm" with another 3 x newer and less mileage Tenere XT660Z's that they are also going to sell.

Just waiting for him to get down in SA and they will service and get the bike ready to test ride.

Speaking to a few workshops RE the BMW G450X they have some horror stories RE spares and issues, then if I want to resell again once I have dug a little deeper into "dirt riding" and know more what I am looking for in a bike, and what I am not looking for in a bike, to the point where I would be confident in dropping some cash on a newer or new bike ... I would need a first bike that I could sell again easily on them market without loosing too much of my initial outlay.

There is also a rather nice 2004 KTM 640 Adventure S that is a good deal at 40K, but she is in Haartenbos and I am in CT not able to view the bike. The 2004 though is a little old, and still running on carbs. Based on other 640's I have been watching, she will also be a difficult bike to sell, but she is a bike with more power, better suspension and almost 50kg's less in dry weight, so more trail competent.

Too many loose marbles rolling around in the head at the moment.

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

I keep spinning in circles here.

Looks like I am falling back on the neighbours Tenere XT660Z again as the price has dropped to 45K, is meant to have around 20K mileage and has been looked after. Currently she is in storage on "the farm" with another 3 x newer and less mileage Tenere XT660Z's that they are also going to sell.

Just waiting for him to get down in SA and they will service and get the bike ready to test ride.

Speaking to a few workshops RE the BMW G450X they have some horror stories RE spares and issues, then if I want to resell again once I have dug a little deeper into "dirt riding" and know more what I am looking for in a bike, and what I am not looking for in a bike, to the point where I would be confident in dropping some cash on a newer or new bike ... I would need a first bike that I could sell again easily on them market without loosing too much of my initial outlay.

There is also a rather nice 2004 KTM 640 Adventure S that is a good deal at 40K, but she is in Haartenbos and I am in CT not able to view the bike. The 2004 though is a little old, and still running on carbs. Based on other 640's I have been watching, she will also be a difficult bike to sell, but she is a bike with more power, better suspension and almost 50kg's less in dry weight, so more trail competent.

Too many loose marbles rolling around in the head at the moment.

Of these 3 options, I would get the Tenere 660Z. 

Yes it may not be the fastest or most powerful or best on dirt, but it will last forever and be more comfortable on the tar than the other 2. The KTM is vibey, the BMW might bore you on the road.

Ultimately you need to decide what sort of riding you will realistically do most of the time and get a bike to suit that. It's a "romantic" idea to ride off into the dirt paved sunset, but you will probably end up doing more tar roads.

Also consider what your mats are riding as that plays a part too. No point in taking the Tenere to do a hardcore enduro sort of ride, then that would make the BMW a better choice. 

There is a reason a bike is popular or not.

13 minutes ago, Berg Man said:

Of these 3 options, I would get the Tenere 660Z. 

Yes it may not be the fastest or most powerful or best on dirt, but it will last forever and be more comfortable on the tar than the other 2. The KTM is vibey, the BMW might bore you on the road.

Ultimately you need to decide what sort of riding you will realistically do most of the time and get a bike to suit that. It's a "romantic" idea to ride off into the dirt paved sunset, but you will probably end up doing more tar roads.

Also consider what your mats are riding as that plays a part too. No point in taking the Tenere to do a hardcore enduro sort of ride, then that would make the BMW a better choice. 

There is a reason a bike is popular or not.

I "want" a bike that can do everything, and yes I know that sort of a bike does not exist.

I do still have the HD, so most of my tar work would be on this ... but yes, the temptation to roll the Tenere on the tar will be big in the beginning, and would probably be a good way to get to know the bike too.

I am going to skip that G450X based on the stories I have heard. WR450's made road legal look fun, but their service intervals do not.

With respect to riding groups, I would be on my own most of the time and will find groups along the way which would then shape what time of group rides I do.

I think if the 640 was a little younger with fuel injection I would be swayed that way ... so far the more sensible Tenere is leading in the decision making process.

On 5/20/2024 at 7:49 AM, Hairy said:

Hooligan machine. Good power , good off-road, lousy on the road but doable. 

great reliability too. 

21 hours ago, Hairy said:

I "want" a bike that can do everything, and yes I know that sort of a bike does not exist.

I do still have the HD, so most of my tar work would be on this ... but yes, the temptation to roll the Tenere on the tar will be big in the beginning, and would probably be a good way to get to know the bike too.

I am going to skip that G450X based on the stories I have heard. WR450's made road legal look fun, but their service intervals do not.

With respect to riding groups, I would be on my own most of the time and will find groups along the way which would then shape what time of group rides I do.

I think if the 640 was a little younger with fuel injection I would be swayed that way ... so far the more sensible Tenere is leading in the decision making process.

Without going back too far to read up to see if you have considered it, don't discount the BMW F800gs. It's a twin, so good for road riding, good off road and super reliable too. Also, there is a lot of them around so you should be able to get a good one at a good price. Weight wise its comparable to the Tenere.

My biking history is dirt bikes for many years, then a KTM990. Sold it and a few years later bought a KTM990. For some reason I couldn't really gel with it even after trying twice. Maybe it's just too big for me, or too tall or something. I looked at the Tenere a lot and bought a BMW 800 GSA. For some reason it feels so much smaller and lighter than the 990, although it shouldn't on paper the specs.

7 hours ago, Berg Man said:

Without going back too far to read up to see if you have considered it, don't discount the BMW F800gs. It's a twin, so good for road riding, good off road and super reliable too. Also, there is a lot of them around so you should be able to get a good one at a good price. Weight wise its comparable to the Tenere.

My biking history is dirt bikes for many years, then a KTM990. Sold it and a few years later bought a KTM990. For some reason I couldn't really gel with it even after trying twice. Maybe it's just too big for me, or too tall or something. I looked at the Tenere a lot and bought a BMW 800 GSA. For some reason it feels so much smaller and lighter than the 990, although it shouldn't on paper the specs.

I am getting the Tenere for a bargain price, so I think I am fully invested now .... will see how the dirt experience goes and in a year or two either just keep the T660 or sell it and "upgrade" to something else.

Just a HEADSUP (Pun partially intended) that Bike Kings are selling the Bell MX 9's at a decent discount price in store.

MX9 @ R3200

MX9 Adventure @ R3500 (Previously R5K)

So I walked in just looking, and walked out with the MX9 Adventure helmet.

Just now, Berg Man said:

Good news and congrats. Let us know how it goes.

The bike is on the farm, and my neighbour is still at sea ... so end of May early new month should hopefully see me on the bike.

This has been a long walk to find a bike ... about the same painful walk it took to finally buying the Harley.

8 minutes ago, Berg Man said:

Eish, now the wait will hurt 🤣

Been hurting for a while, hence looking at other bike options ... patience is what I need ... but what I do not have :)

At least I have the Harley, and I L.O.V.E, love the Harley