[Event] Barberton XCM Mountain Bike Challenge 2015

Barberton XCM MTB

Event Name: Barberton XCM Mountain Bike Challenge 2015
When: 31 January 2015
Where: Barberton, Mpumalanga, Mpumulanga
Category: MTB

Don’t let the beauty of Barberton fool you! The Barberton XCM Mountain Bike Challenge is not as delicate as a daisy!

This tradition will continue with the next Barberton XCM MTB Challenge taking place on 31 January 2015. Pre-entries are open and you can enter at www.cycleevents.co.za or www.barbertonxcm.co.za

Following the feedback we received from some of the cyclists the decision was made to amend some of the routes and to add an additional route. The race boosts 5 different categories;

· The “very delicate” 20km Fun ride

· The “delicate” 30km Half marathon

· The “not so delicate” 48km half marathon

· The “not so delicate” 77km Full marathon and

· The “not so delicate” 110km Ultra marathon

The Barberton XCM route is one of the toughest in the country and rubs shoulders with races such as the Cape Epic and even the “Le Tour de France”. The Ultra Marathon cyclists will peak their 110km route at just under 1,800m above sea-level, whilst the 20km fun ride cyclists will peak at just under 700m above sea-level.

All races will start and end at the Barberton High School sports fields. With a festival-like atmosphere, there is much for the fans and supporters to do whilst waiting for the cyclists to return from their thrilling adventure ride.

This incredibly scenic route takes you up the Makhonjwa Mountains with majestic views over the De Kaap Valley, through nature reserves, dams and very close to the Swaziland border.

For more information regarding the routes and profiles, the Rotary, stalls, sponsorships, accommodation in town and tourist attractions, please visit www.barbertonxcm.co.za. To stay updated with the latest news and updates follow us on @BarbertonXCM and Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BarbertonXCM

The Barberton Mountain Bike Challenge – Not as delicate as a daisy!

Go to Event Page

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A definite MUST for all mountain bikers!  A real journey up into ancient mountains, the oldest on the planet. Tough, but totally awesome, and well organised. Will try be there again for the marathon.

The marathon nearly broke me this year. I'm definitely going back for some payback! This is a really great race - and after that first climb there's absolutely no problem with bottlenecks!

• 2 weeks later...

ENTERED !! some nice country side and mountains , nice climbs and grazy decents - eesh

Awesome! Looking forward to see you there!

If you do not mind, please assist us by spreading the news.

www.facebook.com/BarbertonXCM

@BarbertonXCM

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

A definite MUST for all mountain bikers!  A real journey up into ancient mountains, the oldest on the planet. Tough, but totally awesome, and well organised. Will try be there again for the marathon.

Hehehehehehe! Had a good laugh... 

Just so that you are aware - there are some changes to the routes.

ENTERED !! some nice country side and mountains , nice climbs and grazy decents - eesh

Please assist us by spreading the news.

@BarbertonXCM

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

So looking forward to hosting you again!

I want to try the ultra, but heard from a few guys the cut off times are a bit tuff?

I'm not going to lie to you, it's a tuff race... Have a look at the profiles on our website

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

Have you done other ultra's before?

The marathon nearly broke me this year. I'm definitely going back for some payback! This is a really great race - and after that first climb there's absolutely no problem with bottlenecks!

Hi Hoekvlag :)

@BarbertonXCM

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

Cant wait for this one!

@BarbertonXCM

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

I'm not going to lie to you, it's a tuff race... Have a look at the profiles on our website

www.barbertonxcm.co.za

Have you done other ultra's before?

have done crater cruise, and planning to do the desert dash in december. That first climb looks like a bit of a bitch, and climbing is by far the weakest part of my game. I cant however find the cutoff times

have done crater cruise, and planning to do the desert dash in december. That first climb looks like a bit of a bitch, and climbing is by far the weakest part of my game. I cant however find the cutoff times

Hehehe - ok, let me get some kind of an indication of the cut-off timer. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks 

This was my 1st mtb race way back in 1999.

I had no idea what the profile meant. My bike was a hybrid with road gearing and semi slick tyres.

I managed to crash 3 times on the big downhill luckily without serious injuries.

After 2005 I stopped going for various reasons but did 2014 race and will hopefully be back in 2015. The smaller races are much more enjoyable than the over subscribed mass races

Archived