Trail Runners in Tokai...

SpyDude

apologies.. but it was up like 10seconds no more.. was a little shocked. I also see you follwed the post, so i take that back. Sorry.

Yes, i know all about the politics around the Dungeons comp and working in surf media all the other politcs too.

Either way, big regret coming on here

Forums are not my strong point (well not these, the other geek coder forums i frequent are more my style)

I have requested admin to delete my profile along with all my photos and comments etc.

Seriously, i just want to go back to being a nameless nobody enjoying a ride on his bike with a few mates.

I wont trail build anymore as that was a massive waste of time and energy last year and from what you are saying is the Deon and Myles are the reason for the tension... i dont see it that way... but i dont care either anymore.

Oh well, happy cycling, lets hope the committee can sort out the jogging issue, till then just wear lumo kit and hope they see you.

The new website http://tokaimtb.co.za/ is sweet, i will keep an eye on it and wont bother with the facebook/hubb stuff no more. I want no more part, i have ridden the mountain for a few decades without becoming involved in any way and i think its time to do that again. What ever is decided is decided and will thus rather just go with the flow and stick to whatever rules are present at the time.

I am off for surf, toodles

Peace :mellow:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

apologies.. but it was up like 10seconds no more.. was a little shocked. I also see you follwed the post, so i take that back. Sorry.

Yes, i know all about the politics around the Dungeons comp and working in surf media all the other politcs too.

Either way, big regret coming on here

Forums are not my strong point (well not these, the other geek coder forums i frequent are more my style)

I have requested admin to delete my profile along with all my photos and comments etc.

RElax dude, no need for that

Seriously, i just want to go back to being a nameless nobody enjoying a ride on his bike with a few mates.

I wont trail build anymore as that was a massive waste of time and energy last year and from what you are saying is the Deon and Myles are the reason for the tension... i dont see it that way... but i dont care either anymore.

Just saying try look at things objectively, there are 2 sides (and more) to every story.

Oh well, happy cycling, lets hope the committee can sort out the jogging issue, till then just wear lumo kit and hope they see you.

Lol, ask my wife, I don't look good in lumo

The new website http://tokaimtb.co.za/ is sweet, i will keep an eye on it and wont bother with the facebook/hubb stuff no more. I want no more part, i have ridden the mountain for a few decades without becoming involved in any way and i think its time to do that again. What ever is decided is decided and will thus rather just go with the flow and stick to whatever rules are present at the time.

I am off for surf, toodles

Peace :mellow:

What's the surf like, I haven't checked.

Gonna try for a dawn patrol tomorrow morning

How the hell did this explode?

The answer is simple. Kidnap some runners and use them as a forced labour chain gang on the next build day. The ones that have been forced to work gain an appreciation of the work that goes into making an maintaining the tracks and the rest will be terrified of being next on the chain gang. Free labour and awareness all in one.

Its a winner I tell you...

Edited by marko35s

Guest Omega Man

How the hell did this explode?

The answer is simple. Kidnap some runners and use them as a forced labour chain gang on the next build day. The ones that have been forced to work gain an appreciation of the work that goes into making an maintaining the tracks and the rest will be terrified of being next on the chain gang. Free labour and awareness all in one.

Its a winner I tell you...

Just BTW. Free beer at the next build day.... CBC free beer.

How the hell did this explode? The answer is simple. Kidnap some runners and use them as a forced labour chain gang on the next build day. The ones that have been forced to work gain an appreciation of the work that goes into making an maintaining the tracks and the rest will be terrified of being next on the chain gang. Free labour and awareness all in one. Its a winner I tell you...
Just BTW. Free beer at the next build day.... CBC free beer.

Do runners drink beer?

Guest Omega Man

Do runners drink beer?

Ja but only for fuel. Not for enjoyment on enhanced dancing ability.

Do you know why we trail runners also prefer Tokai?

Because it is safer regarding muggings happening all over and the awesome view!!

But there is so much dispute between ATHLETES that want to do their sport in a safe environment among other athletes. They say that there is strength in groups? With you lot, that statement is bull crap because you all want to fight with each other and bad mouth runners vs cyclists and who has the right to use the Mountain that is there for everyone.

So what if the trail runners don't pay? Do you see hundreds of trail runners on Tokai mountain or do you see a few and by that I mean like one or two compared to the many MTB riders - i stand corrected.

You guys complain about the fee of that we don't pay.. Who does more damage to the trails? The runner that prefers to jump over the branch roots and prefers to run among the rocks or the MTB'er that rides through the branch roots and rides through anything else for that matter?

Many trail runners also start at constantia nek and I doubt that there is a permit structure there and yes they end up running through tokai from the Mast. But regarding payment (runner starting from Tokai) if a trail runner comes early and no one is at the payment point then you expect us to wait till thy kingdom come for the staff? Does the MTB'er wait till thy kingdom come because I have seen many MTB'ers don't wait and in result in not paying so what's the dispute on that topic?

Are you telling me that every single MTB'er that uses the trails pays? Every single MTB'er to the every fibre in his or her existance? But heaven forbid the trail runner that doesn't pay!!

When someone gets attacked on a trail by a mugger then everybody says "hope you get better" or something else to that effect. So there is unity in that respect. When shiz happens then there is unity. But when athletes train together using the same environment or mountain then its Mortal Kombat and Unity gets thrown out the window!?

I give way to all MTB'ers on the trail when I'm running and I noticed that when I greet people then you MTBers don't want to greet back (same greeting attitudes like the roadies) but if I MTB then its greeting season!!

There is no mutual respect among certain MTB'ers towards trail runners and trust me respect goes a long way.

And trust me when I say this: this topic will go on like the 26er vs the 29er -> never-ending story of bullshiz and time wasting.

btw: i respect MTB'ers and trail runners coz we appreciate our sport.

Easy guy/gal.. While I and many others understand what you are saying, you have to keep in mind that the committee who are tasked with managing mountain biking on behalf of TMNP are in the tough spot of having to make a decision around conflict. These are mountain bike trails and limited ones at that.

There are 7kms of singletrack fun on the mountain for mountain bikes. There are 1200 riders entering the Park on weekends. Added to this, the trails are shared with other users, some of whom are not as understanding as you and this leads to conflict over space. It's only natural that this is happening, wars have only ever been about land. The committee would like this not to be a war because alliances of users garners more support which is what we are all needing.

Tempers have flared yes but there has also been a certain level of decorum in this thread to find a solution.

I think the reason tempers have flared is because of the real dangers of hitting someone on the trails.

Yes, the runner will most likely come off second best, but then the rider has to deal the consequences as well as the emotional trauma that comes with it.

Nice to read a passionate post from a runner. :thumbup:

As for no greetings on the trails, trust me G-R: cyclists don't greet cyclists too, and its especially annoying when you standing track side to give them right of way, and they don't even mumble a thanks or cheers. Turds.

Any feedback from the meeting that was held, or is that still to happen?

Guest Omega Man

Nice to read a passionate post from a runner. :thumbup:

As for no greetings on the trails, trust me G-R: cyclists don't greet cyclists too, and its especially annoying when you standing track side to give them right of way, and they don't even mumble a thanks or cheers. Turds.

Any feedback from the meeting that was held, or is that still to happen?

Next Wednesday. Should be good. Everyone seems keen to find solutions

G-R - I think Deon's comment is very apt. Most of the comments were not bad mouthing anyone and were emotive because there is a real safety issue. There are very limited single track trails open to MTB riders in TM and my common sense tells me that trail runners should respect that and stick to the many other km of trail available to them.

On payment - my guess is that many many cyclists have activity cards - mine is always in my pack. Someone else made a comment about cyclists not paying to ride in Tokai or sneaking in. This may well happen after hours but again my guess is the majority do pay most of the time.

Good to hear there will be a meeting. My attitude remains that faster trails like Vasbyt, My roots and obviously the DH and snakes should be kept bike only. For the rest, share and share alike.

So who is coming to join us for a beer - tomorrow morning at nine at the arboretum entrance to Tokai ??!