Trail Runners in Tokai...

SpyDude

How much of this is a real safety issue and how much is 'them' using 'our' stuff issue? I can't see how a trail runner going up single track is more dangerous than a cyclist going up single track. In my opinion, the most dangerous part about Vasbyt is the DH trail that runs parallel to the road which crosses the trail at certain points.

It also seems like a bit of a storm in a tea cup, except for the large trail and tar groups, i see very few trail runners in Tokai.

I would hate to see trails become one way only, it effectively halves the amount of trails to ride! (That said i spend more time trail running than riding at the moment...)

It doesn't anymore

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Deon, hope you have someone on the committee who runs...

Well Dan has run, not sure if that counts but I can confidently say that we have committee members sympathetic to other users requirements.

just saying having someone who actually runs, is diplomatic and a keen cyclist and respected in the cycling and running community is useful.

I'm sure many mtb's are reasonable and sympathetic to runners needs but at what point does objectivity fail..

same counts for dealing with the horsey types

btw I don't run so ....

Edited by GoLefty!!

I don't think it's really important to have a runner on the committee but I do run. Only trail running nowadays but I have done the comrades and have run XC for KZN in my youth so do understand and love running (not that I admit to it to my friends who say that I turn into a grumpy grouch when I am running!)

Edited by iRide

There are good suggestions and points coming out this thread..

While TokaiMTB clearly understands the need for MTB designated - and directional trails - this is not something the committee can easily or quickly rule on. What we are discussing here will need diplomacy and understanding to change the status-quo of what riders have come to expect of Tokai over the last 20 years in trail direction, and what users have been able to enjoy before the boom in their respective activities.. pressure on limited resources is to blame here, not the people.

Trail-running on MTB tracks is not a new issue either, last year I met with several trail-running ambassadors facilitated through the Honorary Rangers to get their take on shared trails and how they plan to manage maintenance and users. The meetings were positive and showed that they have a well-balanced understanding of the situation MTB finds itself in, by being limited to very few dedicated areas out of a lack of appreciation from Parks for our growing needs. This is not a fault of Parks, there was just not enough traction from our side to formalise. The number of riders as of 2011 was the traction needed.

What Cape Town does for recreation now is different from the years past, and from the process of developing an MTB EMP started in 2011, TMNP have have used this interest as example for others and embarked on getting all the activities in the Park to conform i.e. hiking, running, paragliding, horse riding, etc. The challenge for TMNP now is how to manage each activity's conflict and develop their EMP's to manage impact in order to preserve the park. This would be a lot simpler if all the users were understanding of each other's needs and it has been said several times in this thread that there is no problem with the runners, they are open to dialogue.

TMNP have seen that there are new recreational needs with the shift in what people choose to enjoy and it is accepted that in order to accommodate the change from mainly hiking based zones, access is needing a review.

Courtesy is key until we have an amicable solution and hopefully people will understand that this takes time. I can't stress enough that this is a tight-rope balancing act! Those who have enjoyed exclusive access for many years will find it hard to relinquish their zones.. partnership is how we will win this battle.

Careful in the corners!!

Guest Omega Man

7 I am happy for the Tokai MTB committee to handle this on our behalf, that is exactly why we voted them in

Grant from Trail & Tar phoned me today so that we (the committee and Trail&Tar) can get together and discuss.

The committee is meeting tomorrow evening and we'll probably set up a convenient time them to meet with the T&T guys. Our monthly meetings seem to have morphed into weekly ones. Noel & Grant from T&T are good guys and are all for trail safety and runners paying entrance fee's. They just happen to be the face of running on that mountain so that's who we're dealing with at the moment. So please don't go screaming at those 2 guys. Deon probably knows of other runner groups.

Rider and runner safety aside, I personally think it is a mistake for us as mountain bikers to try and p!ss on the proverbial tree here. We are pushing for more trail on the mountain and if we could incorporate the runners into our collective voice I think it actually strengthens our case for more access and single track on the mountain.

Disclaimer: I am not the official voice of TokaiMTB. This post is just my opinion.

Edited by Omega Man

Rider and runner safety aside, I personally think it is a mistake for us as mountain bikers to try and p!ss on the proverbial tree here. We are pushing for more trail on the mountain and if we could incorporate the runners into our collective voice I think it actually strengthens our case for more access and single track on the mountain.

I think you are right

..and I think you are right.

You may both be right. Making friends is far more productive than making enemies. Less stressful too.

I think all we really need here is some awareness. If everyone on the trails is aware of other trail users, be they slow riders, trail riders, horses, runners, dog walkers, racing snakes or downhillers, we'll be 95% of the way towards finding a solution.

Less of aggro and more of 'sorry mate, standing on a lip isn't really the safest thing to do,' even if the oke's messed up your KOM attempt.

And ride in control. Riding too far beyond your limits will end badly for someone, whether it's you or the other guy.

It also seems like a bit of a storm in a tea cup, except for the large trail and tar groups, i see very few trail runners in Tokai.

I must say, the number of trail runners has noticeably increased over the past few months. Last year you'd see the same face running maybe every third week. Now its different people all the time, and I've seen runners almost every ride for the past month.

Having said that, the vast majority of runners were on the jeep track, Sunday was the first time I saw somebody running up the DH trail (or any ST for that matter).

Lets hope trail running becomes the new golf so that MTB can be cheaper again

Have you seen the price of running shoes???

I'm one of those with both hatsshoes on. I don't run that often in tokai, and if i do I go left at the arboretum. That's where i ride my bike.

Will be following this closely, best scenario is all playing nice and getting along.

ps. it's a lot of fun running fast down single track too.

I'm one of those with both hatsshoes on. I don't run that often in tokai, and if i do I go left at the arboretum. That's where i ride my bike.

Will be following this closely, best scenario is all playing nice and getting along.

ps. it's a lot of fun running fast down single track too.

Do you also hit the jumps?

The Road Gap could be interesting