[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

This tracking is awesome, nice to sit in our warm houses tracking these brave riders!!! :ph34r:

Keep going!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Trying to work out from the tracker WTF is going on.

looks like some night moves are at play -

batch A - some latecomers to masakala...day 3 is easier than the previous two but maybe they're taking strain

batch B - looks like mike and des are chilling at banchory/glen edward...well at least somewhere near there - maybe the place marker is wrong.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FC2014: Day 3 (Wed) Wrap:

Things got quite hectic yesterday, there were three main talking points as I see it.

The Race to Rhodes factor:

Trying to follow on jumpertrax or elsewhere is a bit confusing, hopefully as the race goes on things will settle down, although I think we have a new dynamic at play.

Last year saw some of the experienced guys taking a shot at getting to Rhodes in 3 days or less, now this year we have the Race to Rhodes, for most normal people that is a solid 6 days riding.

In this ‘category’ we had hubbers Ryan and Bruce as newcomers blazing a trail yesterday, they are from PMB and got bitten by the bug here last  year, subsequently they have spent a lot of time on the trail between Pmb and Rhodes, so they are riding like old hands on a mission. They made it to Centacow yesterday it seems.

The ride of the day (if there is such a thing) goes to John Loos and Paul Erasmus who joined a very elite club of riding all the way through to Ntsikeni (SS2), arriving at 2:15am, that’s just over 20 hrs riding in one go. (Shebeen probably has the distance and altitude, to properly put it in perspective).

We will talk more in days to come about the Race to Rhodes factor as I imagine it will prompt the discussion on Alex’s Munga race.

To my mind this is the best local proxy for what I expect Alex has in mind and there are some serious contenders lurking in the this race this year.

The guys doing the RASA 2014:

For the guys riding through to Paarl or simply trying to get to Rhodes, there is another dynamic at play, for them it is getting the body and the mind used to the rhythm of the trail, for them it is making the support station before nightfall, taking photos and taking it all in.

These guys are not playing it safe – they are really doing a very hard days riding each day, but finishing is the goal, definitely not “go until you blow strategy”.

The good thing is that if they just keep trucking and conserve they will reach their goal.

Trailwarrior seemed to do some off route touring yesterday, but I am glad to say he is rested and out of Allendale en route to Ntsikeni – hope he finds his rhythm and a good riding partner.

What’s ‘going on’ at this stage:

At this stage of the race it is so important for the riders who are newish to this to settle down, by that I mean the following:

·         The pace of this type of riding – steady is better than, race, ride the hills and rest on the downhills.

·         The risks you are prepared to take, especially if you have a heavy pack, get used to the different weight distribution

·         The fact that your bike is your main asset – if you stupidly break it, then you have to carry it - very stupid!

·         Your bum – this is not like Epic or Sani, you are not riding 4-6 hours and resting for the rest, most are riding at least 12hrs a day and some a lot more, with a heavy pack.

The effect of this is that your bum by day 3 is in a whole new place and as you leave Ntsikeni you try and ride over those grasslands, each little bump is a very painful one.

·         Navigation: I hear the maps are much improved, but confidence in your decision making still has to built and if you take a wrong turn or two on day1 or day2 that takes a bit of a knock.

·         Riding partners: many people arrive as solos, few ride as solos. So the partnerships and friendships are being formed – this is critical and can be a massive asset if you find someone who you share stuff in common with and if you complement each other.

Finally, its still early days and the race will settle down, there will be lots of changes before Rhodes, although as mentioned above we could see a new dynamic in the first week.

FC2014: Day 3 (Wed) Wrap:

The ride of the day (if there is such a thing) goes to John Loos and Paul Erasmus who joined a very elite club of riding all the way through to Ntsikeni (SS2), arriving at 2:15am, that’s just over 20 hrs riding in one go. (Shebeen probably has the distance and altitude, to properly put it in perspective).

ntsikeni in 1 day is one of those 'impossibles - , you're mad' club that a select few have joined now.

from my 2008 data/blog, day1 has changed slightly but would be similiar figures

Day 1 – Pietermaritzburg – Allendale 101dkm, 3629m altitude gain

6am - ~3pm; total 9 hours

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_58Xv77IO9-k/SHdk4veG2MI/AAAAAAAAACU/7Zs4dEafHWA/s320/P01+PMB+to+Allendale.jpg

Day 2 – Allendale – Ntsikeni 98dkm - 2985m altitude gain

6am - ~7pm, 13hours total

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_58Xv77IO9-k/SHdkL5suzDI/AAAAAAAAACM/AlhLXxtBAgE/s320/P02+Allendale+to+Ntsikeni.jpg

· Navigation: I hear the maps are much improved, but confidence in your decision making still has to built and if you take a wrong turn or two on day1 or day2 that takes a bit of a knock.

Chris Fisher from local AR fame has put a lot of work into redoing the maps...I've had a look at one and it's only now obvious how badly they needed a rejig. the question remains if he's done the good mapmaker trick and left in a few sneaks(he starts on tuesday)?!

here's the 'road' up to ntsikeni - it's a 600m alt gain at the end of a looooooooooooo

ooooooooooooong day (from my 2008 vault)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_58Xv77IO9-k/SHdje35FpmI/AAAAAAAAACE/HnnFGxy-mh8/s1600/IMG_1618+(Large).JPG

My Father is doing his first Full Freedom. HE started today. I am so proud of him!!!!!!

Leon Kruger no27

I see that JD, been following him.

lunchtime snapshot.

looks like we have some jumpers.

Batch A - mike, bugs and allan seem to be riding together(or close at least), they've made quick work of the shortish stage to SS4 malekholonyaneOngelulksnek and are almost there.

options are to jump ahead to a alternate(halfway stage 4.5 at tinana mission) or all the way to Vuvu SS5. I think they're all race novices, so the second option will need some careful dancing in the dark to pull off up the vuvu valley.

Batch B - mike (and maybe the untracked Des) are almost at SS3 Masakala - the intending destiantion for their batch today. they will no doubt head off to SS4

I can't make out much more from the tracking, and the beatles(jon and paul) who made it into ntsikeni last night will be out there somewhere trying to make good on their big day.

here's the new maps. for those who used to just follow a green line, this is quite something.

Bp6VNqCCIAEMXlJ.jpg

here's the 'road' up to ntsikeni - it's a 600m alt gain at the end of a looooooooooooo

ooooooooooooong day (from my 2008 vault)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_58Xv77IO9-k/SHdje35FpmI/AAAAAAAAACE/HnnFGxy-mh8/s1600/IMG_1618+(Large).JPG

this is the walk up to Ntsikeni

post-32237-0-88609100-1402570176_thumb.jpg

this is the walk up to Ntsikeni

Followed by some slightly tricky navigation through grasslands and mashy areas for a couple hours... usually at night for most!

Followed by some slightly tricky navigation through grasslands and mashy areas for a couple hours... usually at night for most!

yup, was lost 1.5km from home in the dark in Ntsikeni.

Anyone know what"s up with Jumpertrax? Trying to get update for Trailwarrior and he keeps disappearing? No news since 20:30 today, very frustrating. Is it a battery issue or location issue?

Anyone know what"s up with Jumpertrax? Trying to get update for Trailwarrior and he keeps disappearing? No news since 20:30 today, very frustrating. Is it a battery issue or location issue?

Agreed, its not great, the twitter feed seems to be about the best and that seems to be sleeping.

Seems like Clint (TW), Lise and Fanie were headed for a night out somewhere, that's part of the deal and they will be in good company and safe, probably find themselves a school hall or a 'spare' home somewhere. I am sure we will hear from them soon as the sun starts coming up.

Those guys need a lot of encouragement a this stage - if you have mobile nos for them, make sure they get some good strong sms's. If they are going to make any decisions they should phone Dave first and make those decisions when the sun is shining.

Thanks Tubed! This is our first time as family members keeping vigil. Will do as you say. I am grateful for this forum right now. It is encouraging to read all the comments and info!