Triathlon watches...what's the best and why?

Neil Davidson

The only reason I'm not that interested in any of the Suunto products is because you need to upload apps to the watch to get features like virtual pace..The possibilities in creating apps are probably endless but f I just paid R5500+ I'd expect everything to be ready as soon as I take it out the box..That being said The Suunto 3 does look like it has some cool features like the camera and using your phone as the watch interface that's pretty cool..

Anybody know if you import a Garmin product if the warranty will be valid in SA.

If you import it there may be a problem as it's a grey import (something to do with the delivery address). But if you buy it overseas and wear it in it shouldn't be an issue. But I think they have international pricing standards now so I don't think there's a major saving (at least not like there used to be).

Edited by madbradd

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you import it there may be a problem as it's a grey import (something to do with the delivery address). But if you buy it overseas and wear it in it shouldn't be an issue. But I think they have international pricing standards now so I don't think there's a major saving (at least not like there used to be).

i bought a 910 xt overseas in london.came back and eventualy gave me some problems.watch was exchanged for a new unit no questions asked.

Just got the Ambit 2 S (incl. HR) off Cleaver Training. $249 for the watch, $40 express shipping. Wrist watches are duty free so only 14% VAT. Should come to around R3850. Kalahari is the closest as they selling the graphite unit for R4500. Took it over the Ambit 2 as I really don't need the few extra features.

Compare :

http://www.suunto.com/sports-watch-collections/Suunto-Ambit-Collection/

Some other great specials on at Cleaver Training.

http://www.clevertraining.com/c-146-gps-watches.aspx

Hi Guys,

After reading the review on the Garmin Fenix 2 I took the plunge and went out and bout it. Although the review was the convincing factor experiencing the watch first had completely blew me away! You cannot believe that they are able to cram so many functions and tools into this little guy. Granted I wont use all the features on a daily basis but then again who uses their heated seats in their car every day? But on that cold winters day when you're freezing you nuts off, you flick the switch and your tush starts to warm up ever so slightly you are grateful that some genius decided to pack that little perk into the device and that makes your sense of purchase even more justified.

I compared the Fenix 2 to the XT910 in depth in order to make an informed decision and to be fair its the 3 series while the Fenix 2 is the M3.

Fenix 2 is the best purchase I've ever made!

Hi Guys,

After reading the review on the Garmin Fenix 2 I took the plunge and went out and bout it. Although the review was the convincing factor experiencing the watch first had completely blew me away! You cannot believe that they are able to cram so many functions and tools into this little guy. Granted I wont use all the features on a daily basis but then again who uses their heated seats in their car every day? But on that cold winters day when you're freezing you nuts off, you flick the switch and your tush starts to warm up ever so slightly you are grateful that some genius decided to pack that little perk into the device and that makes your sense of purchase even more justified.

I compared the Fenix 2 to the XT910 in depth in order to make an informed decision and to be fair its the 3 series while the Fenix 2 is the M3.

Fenix 2 is the best purchase I've ever made!

Thanks for the Feedback Neil....I think this may just swing me to the Fenix2

PS: You not part of the Fenix 2 development team ^_^

I was also leaning towards the fenix 2 but after reading a crap load of reviews and comparing charts I'm starting to think the Fenix 1 is a good option..After all the updates it has received it is pretty much the exact same watch as the fenix 2..The main difference is the swimming metrics..Both watches are waterproof and the Fenix 2 has an inverted display.. anyway for those looking into Polar RCX/RC line up..Totalsports are selling them at 50% discount in Menlyn Mall.

Timex One GPS+ launched

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2014/08/IMG_7998_thumb.jpg

Today at Outdoor Retailer Timex has announced a slew of new products into the fitness and outdoor market. The four new products range from $99 to $399, and cover everything from basic GPS functionality to a high-end integrated live tracking running watch with music capabilities.

For this post I’m going to focus on the Timex One GPS+ unit, which is their new flagship GPS running watch. Later today I’ll circle back with more detail on the other three fitness devices, which include an activity tracker, a basic GPS running watch, and a smartphone connected running watch complete with push notifications.

I’ve had good hands-on time with all four of them, so let’s start for now by diving into the Timex One GPS+.

OVERVIEW OF KEY FEATURES

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2014/08/IMG_7982_thumb.jpg

Without question this is Timex’s most advanced running watch to date. It breaks through new areas not offered on any previous GPS running watch – Timex or otherwise. At a glance, here’s the significant new features:

- Embedded 3G chipset in the watch itself

- Live Tracking via 3G (no phone required)

- SOS Mode (safety alerts, no phone required)

- 4GB of Music storage space

- Instant messaging application (no phone required)

- Bluetooth Smart sensor support

- Touch screen

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/timex-one-gps-3g.html

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Feedback Neil....I think this may just swing me to the Fenix2

PS: You not part of the Fenix 2 development team ^_^

ha ha ...no not at all!!! Just love the watch so much....