exxxxxxxxxxtra wiiiiiiiide bars

sadamhussein

wider bars have a longer arm, requiring a bigger moment to achieve the same effect as shorter bars.

Just to correct you on this point. You do not input a moment (well not directly anyway.) You input a force on the end of the bar which in turn creates a moment about the steerer tube. The moment about a point = input force X perpendicular distance (M=Fd). Thus a wider bar results in a greater moment if the same force is applied and therefore a smaller input is required to achieve the same moment. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to correct you on this point. You do not input a moment (well not directly anyway.) You input a force on the end of the bar which in turn creates a moment about the steerer tube. The moment about a point = input force X perpendicular distance (M=Fd). Thus a wider bar results in a greater moment if the same force is applied and therefore a smaller input is required to achieve the same moment. :)

:wacko: science right there......

I don't care about stuff... I just ride my bike.... with its wide ass bar :blush:

Wait a moment ... you saying he is wrong then ..... :ph34r:

Also bare in mind you will have to move your hands a bit further to achieve the same rotational movement.

Hence why wider bars don't feel as twitch or they feel slower than shorter bars.

This is overcome in part by using a shorter stem.

:wacko: science right there......

I don't care about stuff... I just ride my bike.... with its wide ass bar :blush:

I'm running 760mm with a 60mm stem on my SS. It's the bike that handles the best from all my bikes

really???? :whistling:

:ph34r:

http://images.woolworthsstatic.co.za/Halaal-Beef-Cheese-Russians-375g-6009171558185.jpg?o=1bmgnSKSL2BHHPiVvbu6zKfhwKMj&V=rTHv&w=387

Also bare in mind you will have to move your hands a bit further to achieve the same rotational movement.

Hence why wider bars don't feel as twitch or they feel slower than shorter bars.

This is overcome in part by using a shorter stem.

I left that part out because rotational inertia complicates things a bit BUT in this case the moment caused by the rotational inertia of the bar is negligible because one can assume that the bar does not have an angular acceleration about the steerer tube.

That being said, it will have a constant angular velocity when turning the bar. So as a result you will have to move your hands further in comparison to a shorter bar. But this additional movement is one of the contributing factors in having more precise control over the front wheel/bike with a wider bar.

EDIT: grammar.

Edited by Helpmytrap

I left that part out because rotational inertia complicates things a bit BUT in this case the moment caused by the rotational inertia of the bar is negligible because one can assume that the bar does not have an angular acceleration about the steerer tube.

That being said, it will have a constant angular velocity when turning the bar. So as a result you will have to move your hands further in comparison to a shorter bar. But this additional movement is one of the contributing factors in having more precise control over the front wheel/bike with a wider bar.

Agreed

batform

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Deer-Antler-Bike-Handlebars-1.jpg

Aren't those used for trail runners?

But I do like this thread...

785mm on 60mm intended to cut them down but can't be bothered having far too much fun.

Much like on this set up, think it am going to do this soon, just got a dropper post to buy first.

In like simple inglish, can one like to try to explain what a shorter stem / longer stem does to the physics...

Seriously, I get what the bar width vs stem length does to the ride position, but with out that in mind.

The longer the stem, the wider the arc, the less energy the moment of inertia requires, right? So then the short, the more energy? Less twitchy?

(I think I need a pen and paper...)

In like simple inglish, can one like to try to explain what a shorter stem / longer stem does to the physics...

Seriously, I get what the bar width vs stem length does to the ride position, but with out that in mind.

The longer the stem, the wider the arc, the less energy the moment of inertia requires, right? So then the short, the more energy? Less twitchy?

(I think I need a pen and paper...)

Think Pythagoras theorem

If you increase the width of the bars it increases the overall length to which the force is applied thus increasing the moment for the same force.

If you decrease the length of the stem it decreases the overall length to which the force is applied thus decreasing the moment for the same force.

*one can go more into it and take the angle to which the force is applied as an additional factor.

Think Pythagoras theorem

If you increase the width of the bars it increases the overall length to which the force is applied thus increasing the moment for the same force.

If you decrease the length of the stem it decreases the overall length to which the force is applied thus decreasing the moment for the same force.

*one can go more into it and take the angle to which the force is applied as an additional factor.

Ja, if you widen the bars, I think I get that.

So let's say we have 500 wide bars, what happens with a 50 stem, 100 and 200?

Ja, if you widen the bars, I think I get that.

So let's say we have 500 wide bars, what happens with a 50 stem, 100 and 200?

500/50 - very twitchy - requires very small movements to point in the right direction.

500/100 - not as twitchy, but very unstable (weight further forward on the bike so you can't really position yourself properly

500/200 - EXTREMELY unstable. Steering input would be extremely dull, but you'd also be very unstable. Think time trial bike, in the drops at the front. Not anywhere near as stable as your weight would be far in front of the axle.