Die Burger MTB 2014

Rydogg

My boy had a frustrating race. He got off from the last group for the 30km race (S) trying to get a good time, but got held up a lot by slower traffic from the previous groups. In the end he did 1h38, 4th in his group but not a top 20 for the 30km that he was hoping for.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice day out. First Mountain bike race so did 50kms and did not have a seeding. It was a great race but there was lots and lots of traffic , too many people and you could not pass. 15,30 and 50 all merged together at the end and it literally came to a stand still. Massive bottle neck ! They will have to have less cyclists or change the route as it made it very frustrating at times.

Yes, my boy says he lost 7 minutes alone there at that bottleneck at the end.

I can sort of 'understand' the 50,30 & 15km channeling together, but letting the 60 & 70km join them just after going underneath the highway with the scaffolding over the river in just stupid !! Also why no Portable atm at the finish, this is the biggest one day race in SA!? Really wanted a coffee after the ride..

Besides that It was tough and fun (60km)... Sure there were a lot of wipe outs!

I can sort of 'understand' the 50,30 & 15km channeling together, but letting the 60 & 70km join them just after going underneath the highway with the scaffolding over the river in just stupid !! Also why no Portable atm at the finish, this is the biggest one day race in SA!? Really wanted a coffee after the ride..

Besides that It was tough and fun (60km)... Sure there were a lot of wipe outs!

I agree, traffic was terrible at the end. Tip. I always have a folded R50/R100 between my cell and the cover and/or with my spares on the bike. I don't always carry my wallet, but I always have my phone.

According website, the route profile of the 60km were suppose to be 1930m of climbing. My Garmin only measured 1431 climbing and 64km far. Did anybody else have a discrepancy?

Had fun, really tough race. the mud was insane, spoiled my fun for sure. Just too many people. Start the race earlier, make the groups smaller, and have a bigger gap between starting times for the groups. And for the love of all that is holy, please please please please sort out your seeding. How can guys pushing every hill and riding takkies and shorts have better seeding than some of us racers. If you dont know how to seed riders, ask PPA for advice.

Other than that, fun day out, just confirmed that all the red wine and braais lately are not good for my fitness.

Any idea where one will be able to get your timing? Times be loaded like when Racetech times... Not that i did good, just wamt to see how ban I suffered :blush:

Jeez, how many broken chains! I saw at least 10!!

Great to see Uxcob and Wannabe

Anyway good dirty fun!

Was good seeing you again.

Got held up a few times on the single track, especially the climbing ST, lost a fair bit of time there, FROM GUYS SEEDED BETTER THAN I WAS (before some wise ass pips up with "but why were they infront of you" :whistling: )

At the finish stretch I could not get past a slower rider in front of me, and he did not want to give me space after I asked him to, so I "buzzed" him. Desired effect immediately and lots of room to pass. (again a rider with better seeding)

Guest Karma

According website, the route profile of the 60km were suppose to be 1930m of climbing. My Garmin only measured 1431 climbing and 64km far. Did anybody else have a discrepancy?

Yep.

Felt like the 50km was way more than 650m i climbing. Or it may have been my umprepared legs

3:41 in the 75km, 21st position, it was the perfect race, no complaints, no bottlenecks, no hold ups on the ST, no mechanicals or flats.

ST was sublime, what made it even better was that I was following a nice wheel to pick all the lines for me, was supper cool.

Not packing in a rainjacket was a blessing in disguise as it would've just turned into unwanted luggage.

For the 1st time I couldn't wait to get my medal as I found a charity that will accept all unwanted medals to hand out to kids suffering of cancer. They will get a medal as reward for each completion of chemotherapy. I can easily gather close to 150 medals alone, how much can you?

Edited by milky4130