Die Burger MTB 2014

Rydogg

So it seems biggest complaint is seeding. Its very important part of any race. It reduces bottle necks and the risk of colliding with slower riders. It also eliminates frustration from slower, non experienced riders not keeping left or moving over. For me its also much more fun to ride with people of equal ability and not constantly having to overtake or getting overtaken. Obviously the Amarider system is flawed, and the tag system is pretty ***, my results are not showing, and mates of mine are listed in the wrong distance.

Dont want to be over critical, race was fun, route was good. Small things can make this one of the best. Next year is the 10th anniversary, lets hope they fix the niggles.

Good point, there were numerous times in the race where we came to a dead stop on the single track. At one point myself and the guy behind had enough time to strike up a conversation. There were many instances where slower riders, seeded in front of my group, could not negotiate the ascending switchbacks. The organisers should not use a swift entry as a seeding. :thumbdown: Nevertheless, it was lekker.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great race but I also was held up by 75 km back markers.

It was supposed to be invitational but you could just call and tell them you completed ____ stage race and you were in.

I suppose its always fair to allow people to appeal their seeding so this is always likely to happen.

Don't quite agree. I entered my boy 4 weeks ago, he got into S, while a friend of his was entered this past week, and he got seeded into R.

I don't think they have access to anyone else's events. There was no real seeding. May as well just have started everyone together.

Tricky with so many people. Should try keep the 15km completely separate to 30 and 50. Had to just sit back and relax in last 5km, was no point stressing

According to the organisers the 75km was on invitation only, so not sure how that worked then. Old racers maybe that have not been on their bikes for a long time.
the way I see it, it's all the peeps that have supported the Dirtopia organized events in the past i.e. 100miler, previous burgers Mtb, Staalwater, Spur Challenge, etc. would love to know the real criteria

the way I see it, it's all the peeps that have supported the Dirtopia organized events in the past i.e. 100miler, previous burgers Mtb, Staalwater, Spur Challenge, etc. would love to know the real criteria

Last time I did the burger 60, I did it in 3:26, this time they seeded me in E, go figure

Don't quite agree. I entered my boy 4 weeks ago, he got into S, while a friend of his was entered this past week, and he got seeded into R.

Trust me I believe you - but that was the official line "The 15km & 30km funrides are seeded on a first come, first serve basis – so enter early!"

If I pay for the first round of beers at the High School party, I might get lucky and meet the twat who did the seeding. Invatation only.

Haha! Ok, I might not sound sympathetic but I feel your frustration. I was immensely pissed off in 2012 when Meurant kicked PPA out of the Burger MTB arrangements, I think Meurant & Dirtopia are able at many things but seeding will never be one of those things.

Now I have just accepted that these type of races will always be a mess so I try to enter the longest distance (which usually works for the most part) or I take my sense of humour along because I know I will need it along the way...

Last time I did the burger 60, I did it in 3:26, this time they seeded me in E, go figure

which year? If not 2013 then that could be the reason, if you raced burger last year then maybe others ahead of you had better seeding & you got bumped further down, i don't know just speculating maybe Someone can summons Muerant to come please explain?

Yes, I told my boy to relax and not to stress about it. He is like his mother, very competitive, and was down in the dumps this afternoon. So he went to the Southey Vines trail this afternoon and did some jumps and berms to get it out of his system.

Yes, I told my boy to relax and not to stress about it. He is like his mother, very competitive, and was down in the dumps this afternoon. So he went to the Southey Vines trail this afternoon and did some jumps and berms to get it out of his system.

What kit was he in? After my dismount onto my side I took the last 15km a little easier and sat behind a kid from the 30 who was on a mission.

What kit was he in? After my dismount onto my side I took the last 15km a little easier and sat behind a kid from the 30 who was on a mission.

He was in a PV kit with a blue rain- top over that. Gray/Green BMC 29er with ZTR Crest rims and I9 hubs. The sound of the hubs is very unique to I9 with their very small angle of take-up. They scream like banshees when he freewheels.

Edited by Moridin

More than 10 minute difference (slower) between the "official" results and what my Garmin gives me. :unsure:

Eish

It was a great race but I also was held up by 75 km back markers.

It was supposed to be invitational but you could just call and tell them you completed ____ stage race and you were in.

I suppose its always fair to allow people to appeal their seeding so this is always likely to happen.

Agreed to a point, however the 75km is very different to the 60km so a lot of people were saving themselves. I was one of them but always gave track to anyone that caught me on the uphill single track without holding them up one iota. I even checked going into single track to see if there was anyone that could possibly catck me in it and would wait it out before going in.

However, this brings me to my pet peeve. If I give track on the uphills you better also give track on the downhills. I would also like to enjoy my ride where possible. All the downhill single tracks were a slow procession. What gives..... Yes you guys can climb, but that is not all there is to an MTB race.

I think next year, people behind me are just going to have to wait for me because when we hit the top I want to be in front.

More than 10 minute difference (slower) between the "official" results and what my Garmin gives me. :unsure:

are you sure your Garmin was not pausing in all the ques. My time was spot in.