So I rode a 29er

fanievb

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without being called a troll is there really a difference between a 26 and 27.5, isnt the wheel diameter almost the same with different width tyres

While not a 29er (actually a 36er), I think

demonstrates the advantage of larger wheels... looking at this video, it' also demonstrates the DISADVANTAGE of larger wheels too!

conversely, it's also why a small pebble is a disaster for a skateboard (that's a YT search for another day)

Without being called a troll is there really a difference between a 26 and 27.5, isnt the wheel diameter almost the same with different width tyres

there's your caveat. A 26er with 2.5's will probably have the same overall circumference as a 27.5 with 2.1's. But - there again, the rider who specs 2.1's will do so no matter the wheelsize, so the comparison is flawed.

Overall though, it just doesn't make that much difference.

thanks capt. my next question is if I put 27,5 wheels on my 26er(checked they fit) will I not have a 27.5 at a fraction of the price, or does the geometry differ vastly

thanks capt. my next question is if I put 27,5 wheels on my 26er(checked they fit) will I not have a 27.5 at a fraction of the price, or does the geometry differ vastly

Not vastly, but your BB height will increase (good for pedal clearance, bad for handling in the tech stuff) and your wheelbase will increase SLIGHTLY.

But - why would you do that, and what tires would fit on? If you're going from Crossmark to Crossmark, why not just go to a higher volume 26" tire and have all the handling benefits (lower pressures = more grip, bettwe traction on the ups and downs etc) with none of the expense?

IMO if a 275 will only fit a crossmark, but you're doing trail riding and so on, it's not worth it.

It will increase the height of your BB. Which isn't a train smash if you have a lowish BB to start off with.

It will increase the height of your BB. Which isn't a train smash if you have a lowish BB to start off with.

Meh. Wheelbase won't increase. Dumbass.

Such a stoopid I am at times.

Not much point if you use different size tyres, it's not a good comparison

there's your caveat. A 26er with 2.5's will probably have the same overall circumference as a 27.5 with 2.1's. But - there again, the rider who specs 2.1's will do so no matter the wheelsize, so the comparison is flawed.

Overall though, it just doesn't make that much difference.

Assuming the same tyre (2.0") the diameter of the wheel differs by the following percentages

26"(559) => 27.5"/650B(584) = 3.8%

27.5"/650B(584) =>. 29er/700c (622) = 5.5%

26"(559) => 29er/700c (622) = 9.5%

With the same size tyres, it will raise the BB by 12.5mm.

If he puts a smaller tyre on in order to fit then it will be less

what a K@K comparison with huge flaws in the test!

Loved the straight paved roads they are testing on though.

Just basics

• were they running the same tyre
  • same pressure
  • fork type and set up
  • bike fit and geometry (Trance is trail and that 29'er was more XC)
  • rider skill
  • that stem on the xc looked like a barge pole compared to the trance
  • blah blah blah blah

what a K@K comparison with huge flaws in the test!

Loved the straight paved roads they are testing on though.

Just basics

• were they running the same tyre
  • same pressure
  • fork type and set up
  • bike fit and geometry (Trance is trail and that 29'er was more XC)
  • rider skill
  • that stem on the xc looked like a barge pole compared to the trance
  • blah blah blah blah

At the end of the vid it says the 29er was a much higher spec than the Trance. And climbing with a dual vs hardtail. lol

But you have to believe the review :)

Also, the bearings in the Trance were probably old, 29er wheels probably had more inertia (better rolling once up to speed) and no suspension to soak up pedalling efforts. He also mentioned that no emphasis was placed on speed at time of test, yet concludes that the niner is better cos he was faster! Probably wanted to have the niner as the faster bike so he pedalled harder.