Giant anthem gears

Muggins

Tell me does the a giant Anthem Advanced 29er 1 2014 model have indicators on the gears so you can see where you are.

The salesman tells me no they don't. Something to do with the brakes and gears coming as one unit now.

The Giant has Shimano XT brakes. He said a lot of the newer bikes are coming out like this now.

My older Giant Anthem have the gear indicators and avid brakes.

My new Scott have the XT shifters and gear in one and there is no indicators for the gears.

I think they are optional

I was at cycle lab again today and most of the high end models don't have them. Just never paid attention to it until now.

I was at cycle lab again today and most of the high end models don't have them. Just never paid attention to it until now.

No road bike has or had them ever ! .I have 4 bikes and I cannot tell you if they are on or not .I know my laaitie looks at his occasionally mostly just before he takes a tumble .You never look at your handlebars EVER !

On single track I use my indicators no time to look at the gears! (but not really needed)

No road bike has or had them ever ! .I have 4 bikes and I cannot tell you if they are on or not .I know my laaitie looks at his occasionally mostly just before he takes a tumble .You never look at your handlebars EVER !

Shimano tiagra has indicators too. That's a road gruppo

Sorry what shifters are they? I have some slx indicator things you can have.

It has shimano XT. It's not a problem, I'll leave it like that.

Tell me does the a giant Anthem Advanced 29er 1 2014 model have indicators on the gears so you can see where you are.

The salesman tells me no they don't. Something to do with the brakes and gears coming as one unit now.

The Giant has Shimano XT brakes. He said a lot of the newer bikes are coming out like this now.

They are optional on XT gear units. If you buy the levers loose, you get the indicators in a little packet and you can choose to fit them or not. I suspect in OEM scenarios the bike assembler doesn't spec them and hence they're not supplied. If you can find someone who doesn't want his, install them on your bike.

Whether you will like them is personal but I think it is a nice to have.