SANPARKS upgrades announcement re Tokai

tubed

I am trying to keep an open mind on todays announcement: perhaps amongst the new roads to the new 'green building' offices there will be some infrastructure spend on mtb.

From the official press release: Tokai is a major gateway for local users and is also due for infrastructure investment which will benefit a further component of our stakeholders. Visitors can look forward to a multi-user access road and improved services to the area. The overall development will require a new office building for the park which will be built according to “green building” principles. http://www.sanparks....lt.php?id=56099

more here:

At Tokai, close to R11m will be spent.

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-ca-p6-tmnp-birthday-done-1.1706443!/image/3354766819.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/3354766819.jpg

Table Mountain National Park manager Paddy Gordon and Mayco member for community services and special projects Belinda Walker cut the birthday cake at the Park's 16th birthday celebration at Cape Point.

supplied

Work here will include upgrading and widening the entrance road leading to the historic manor house – currently in a terrible condition – and adding pedestrian and cycle lanes, while a new office for the national park built according to “green” building principles is also part of the plan for this precinct

http://www.iol.co.za...44#.U6Q6xfmSw5w

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me cynical but I doubt much will be spent on the actual mountain and MTB related things specifically, I really hope I'm wrong

Edited by Flowta

Up goes the price of the activity card - again!!

Does anyone know how many activity cards are sold to cyclists per year?

A complete waste of money. All of that is fine. They should concentrate on turning old logging roads into recreational roads and building pristine single tracks and bike park stuff.

Call me cynical but I doubt much will be spent on the actual mountain and MTB related things specifically, I really hope I'm wrong

I'm with you on the cynical part, but........

SANParks are seriously in need of proper offices for Table Mountain National Park. They have identified Tokai several years ago and I think that is a good choice. It is probably the most central in terms of logistics. Previously they rented in Westlake at astronomical cost and decided to aim at owning their own office space. That is where Tokai come in. They have since temporarily moved into the totally unsuitable little bits of buildings in Tokai, but a proper office is really needed. If I look at some of the green buildings they built in places like Tankwa, I am much impressed and have high hopes for what they'll come up with for Tokai.They also have other plans for the greater Tokai property, like a restaurant and renting out office space and the manor house to outside tenants. I think it will be good for the whole area if they can transform it into a functional property, which is certainly is not at the moment.

At the same time I do think they better start spending more money on the mountain. Firstly on conservation and alien eradication, and secondly on maintaining paths for hikers and riders.

Edited by DJR

I'm with you on the cynical part, but........

SANParks are seriously in need of proper offices for Table Mountain National Park. They have identified Tokai several years ago and I think that is a good choice. It is probably the most central in terms of logistics. Previously they rented in Westlake at astronomical cost and decided to aim at owning their own office space. That is where Tokai come in. They have since temporarily moved into the totally unsuitable little bits of buildings in Tokai, but a proper office is really needed. If I look at some of the green buildings they built in places like Tankwa, I am much impressed and have high hopes for what they'll come up with for Tokai.They also have other plans for the greater Tokai property, like a restaurant and renting out office space and the manor house to outside tenants. I think it will be good for the whole area if they can transform it into a functional property, which is certainly is not at the moment.

At the same time I do think they better start spending more money on the mountain. Firstly on conservation and alien eradication, and secondly on maintaining paths for hikers and riders.

100% with you on that one, Dawid.

hope you're wrong as well, but then in the same breath I really agree with Dawid on this issue. And the road in there is SHOCKING. Funding for trails is already going to come through private avenues, and if the infrastructure is developed at tokai itself it benefits ALL, not just a small segment of the potential visitor numbers that an improved infrastructure and access route could allow.

A new office building in the National Park? looks like a repeat of Chapmans Peak. Offices should be contained in Urban Areas.

That being said that road really needs work and something to separate cars, bikes and runners.

Then buy an annual permit...

I agree with you, but if I want to take my wife and daughters to ride there for fun, so I must pay R135 for them to ride for one hour. Crazy! They only ride maybe once a month and annual permit is not worth it for them..

A new office building in the National Park? looks like a repeat of Chapmans Peak. Offices should be contained in Urban Areas.

That being said that road really needs work and something to separate cars, bikes and runners.

mainly rebuilding the existing manor house and then also the coffee shop, with additional services.

besides. at the moment It's a plantation. and the offices at Chapmans are a pretty fantastic example of the fusion of architecture and natural areas.

mainly rebuilding the existing manor house and then also the coffee shop, with additional services.

besides. at the moment It's a plantation. and the offices at Chapmans are a pretty fantastic example of the fusion of architecture and natural areas.

Glad that the Manor house will be renovated, it is a fantastic building and landmark.

The architecture of the Chapmans Peal offices is ok, cant really fault it. Its the land use that I have more of a problem with.

Glad that the Manor house will be renovated, it is a fantastic building and landmark.

The architecture of the Chapmans Peal offices is ok, cant really fault it. Its the land use that I have more of a problem with.

Ja, that's debatable though. What's not debatable is that they are FAR better than those flippin crates that were there!

Agreed! In other words, it is about WHAT & HOW it is done.

Parks used to build the most terribly unimaginative and boring buildings on earth, looking more suited to .....well.....m....... I can't think of someone deserving of such blandness.

But lately they got proper architects and design people to come up with some very good plans for them. I hope that they will do the same in Tokai. Restore the historic buildings like the manor house and make them live again, serving a modern purpose. I think they have already done extensive work on that, but at the moment it is a dead building. Whatever they build new should fit in with the area as well as be green from the ground up. Interesting challenge that.

I like the multi-use of the area. That means keeping the stables, perhaps upgrading the paddocks, what about a riding school? Keep some picnic area and get a proper restaurant going. I also wouldn't mind if they rent some of the manor house outbuildings to tenants in the green or tourism sector. Imagine a green architect office there, or an artist studio where they sculpt with recycled materials. I can also see some bike wash areas and a better parking area for cyclists. I trust they will avoid the "mall all look alike" development of Westlake and Steenberg and make it look rural The better the whole property work, the less attractive it will be to the loiterers and the vandals.

The whole area at the moment is dysfunctional and not serving a clear purpose. Some buildings are falling down, roads are falling apart, sewerage is dodgy (smell Listers on a hot day). It needs a serious makeover, provided it is done properly, it can be a gem.

Lastly, I truly think they should consider upping the small annual amount they put towards maintaining the mtb trails in a very big way. Not only is it the right thing to do, but they will share in the fruits of that investment.

(Edit : This is just my 2c, I have no connection with SANParks)

Edited by DJR