SANPARKS upgrades announcement re Tokai

tubed

Guest Omega Man

Every time the word Tokai appears in a topic the handbags come out.

It's cos everyone is passionate about the place. I don't think I'm overstating it when I call Tokai the spiritual home of Mountain Biking in the Western Cape.

As far as the 11 bar goes my first reaction was THEY PUT NOTHING IN TO MOUNTAIN BIKING BITCH MOAN ETC!!

But on reflection we are a user group. Nothing more. It's their money and how they choose to spend it has little to do with us. The road up to the park is in a shocking state and they do intend turning Tokai into a gateway to the mountain. It would be nice if SOME of the gate fees went back into trail building. But sadly that is not currently the case.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Off the topic slightly. Let me just tell all of you what goes into a volunteer build day. Myles, Deon, Vince and I have all done this on numerous occasions and it's not an easy thing to do.

Firstly the backround.

TokaiMTB has a permit to build. So it's very much seen as a privilege.

Material.

We're not allowed to excavate anywhere

We're not allowed to dig holes

any material that comes in has to be excavated from more than 1m down to avoid the seed bed

any laterite you see going in to the trails comes from malmsbury and is paid for by PPA. It's K@K expensive and has to be ordered well in advance. The gate has to be opened and they have to be shown where to drop the stuff.

Getting the word out

This is usually done via facebook and the hub

2 weeks before the time seems to garner the best response

I also bribe, threaten and beg my mates to come along

We use the promise of free beer as an incentive

Tools and equipment

We use our own vehicles (the rust in the bed of my previous truck was a direct result of moving laterite around. Deon's scoobie has taken a hammering He'll never recover the depreciation and the repair costs. We've used Vince's work bakkie on numerous occasions)

We pay for our own Diesel

We use our own Tools

There is a teeni bit of money left in TokaiMTB that Deon uses for paid labor

The trail building signs have been made and printed with our own money

On the day

The usual 8-20 people show up

It's always the same faces

When we ask people who ride past to lend a quick hand we are laughed at or told I'm training for the ........ race

We only have a few hours to work in

People invariably ride THROUGH our work site despite us being there.

The aftermath

There's ALWAYS someone who has a moan about what's been done.

Edited by Omega Man

What if a group came in and set it up in such a way that all the monies for mtb is collected by the group. Whether it is gate fees or yearly fees. So that would mean that the Security hut at the gate in the parking be taken over and be capabl of providing day passes and yearly passes. It should even have the ability to take the id photos like on the wild card. Then either weekly or monthly and agreed upon percentage gets given TMNP.

Wouldnt that be a better option? Is it even Possible?

What if a group came in and set it up in such a way that all the monies for mtb is collected by the group. Whether it is gate fees or yearly fees. So that would mean that the Security hut at the gate in the parking be taken over and be capabl of providing day passes and yearly passes. It should even have the ability to take the id photos like on the wild card. Then either weekly or monthly and agreed upon percentage gets given TMNP.

I'm sure it's possible, it's just the will to do it

I'm sure it's possible, it's just the will to do it

from both sides...

I'm pretty sure Parks will not entertain that at all. Allow a 3rd party to take over the guard post, activity cards (only for MTB) and then control the flow of money? No chance.

I see where you're going but would it not be less burden to just agree on a percentage? Either way you will be negotiating with SANParks but adding an administration cost.

I understand they are going to pave the road to the Tokai parking as the SUV's are struggling to get up the road to the parking area.

Apparently a large paid parking complex of three storey's (concrete construction) will be built with a retail component attached. Rumour has it that Vida and a very fancy hairdressing salon have already booked their sites in the retail component.

:ph34r:

Edited by Hairy

I see where you're going but would it not be less burden to just agree on a percentage? Either way you will be negotiating with SANParks but adding an administration cost.

True and yes the biggest head ache is negotiating and convincing them to buy into the idea

Guest Omega Man

I understand they are going to pave the road to the Tokai parking as the SUV's are struggling to get up the road to the parking area.

Apparently a large paid parking complex of three storey's (concrete construction) will be built with a retail component attached. Rumour has it that Vida and a very fancy hairdressing salon have already booked their sites in the retail component.

:ph34r:

Can we get a place that does bike washes, sells craft beer and shows the World Cup races?

The whole Wild Card scheme was administered by a 3rd party when it was first introduced and it did not work well at all. Not for Parks anyway. What exactly went wrong, I don't know. Parks decided to run the whole thing itself. Initially it was a mess, but after the teething problems, it seems to be running smoothly. The activity card is just a small part of the whole thing.

Just wait till the construction workers hear there's a ghost at that manor house (a headless horseman nogal!).

My opinion is that it's money spent in the right areas, don't need to agree on the amounts but it's really due for an upgrade. I'm surprised that the road is not covered by the province...is the boundary at the 3way stop with zwaanzwyk drive.

Just wait till the construction workers hear there's a ghost at that manor house (a headless horseman nogal!).

My opinion is that it's money spent in the right areas, don't need to agree on the amounts but it's really due for an upgrade. I'm surprised that the road is not covered by the province...is the boundary at the 3way stop with zwaanzwyk drive.

Yup, just to get water and electricity from there to he manor house will already eat up a couple of million, not to even talk about the road itself. I wonder if they considered going completely green re. water and electricity? Would have been cool to see them try it!

Yup, just to get water and electricity from there to he manor house will already eat up a couple of million, not to even talk about the road itself. I wonder if they considered going completely green re. water and electricity? Would have been cool to see them try it!

Don't they already have electricity there?

Unfortunately, I don't believe it will be financially viable. Nevermind that it won't fit in with the look/time period of the place.