• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Haven't seen everything and didn't care for everything I've seen. These are the only nominations I really care about and I only really care about two: Leading Actress and Supporting Actor. These votes are completely subjective and personal.

Nominations I want to see win:

Best Picture - Three Billboards

Leading Actress - Frances McDormand

Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell

Director - Guillermo del Toro

Sound Mixing - Baby Driver

Adapted Screenplay - Logan

Original Screenplay - Three Billboards

Edited by Readsalot

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for the Oscars. So much of it feels like a dog and pony show.

Or Eurovision.

Haven't seen everything and didn't care for everything I've seen. These are the only nominations I really care about and I only really care about two: Leading Actress and Supporting Actor. These votes are completely subjective and personal.

Nominations I want to see win:

Best Picture - Three Billboards
Leading Actress - Frances McDormand
Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell
Director - Guillermo del Toro
Sound Mixing - Baby Driver
Adapted Screenplay - Logan
Original Screenplay - Three Billboards

So, let's see:

Best Picture - Shape of Water. Well, I'm happy for Del Toro. I preferred Three Billboards because I thought the story was more interesting, but by no means do I think SOW is a bad film.

Leading Actress - Frances McDormand. Yes!

Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell. Yes!

Director - Del Toro. Yes!

Sound Mixing - Dunkirk. Haven't seen it yet but my brother did and he's mentioned it a few times, so good for Dunkirk, I suppose.

Adapted Screenplay - Call Me By Your Name. Bugger (no pun intended). Romantic dramas aren't really my thing, so I can't comment on it because I doubt I'll ever watch it.

Original Screenplay - Get Out. Well, not a bad movie and good for Jordan Peele. Again, I preferred Three Billboards but, like SOW, Get Out was a good alternative.

Any thoughts on Red Sparrow as yet? ‍♂

I watched it on Friday. 

Good plot, loads of intrigue and will keep you guessing. Great acting, as well. Thought it could have used a bit more action, but that's just me. 

Glad del Toro won. Still think Shapely Water was fantastic but looking forward to 3 Billboards when it is on demand. Pity Sally Hawkins didn't win though. Her silent performance I thought was incredible. But seems McDormand was a shew-in

Glad del Toro won. Still think Shapely Water was fantastic but looking forward to 3 Billboards when it is on demand. Pity Sally Hawkins didn't win though. Her silent performance I thought was incredible. But seems McDormand was a shew-in

I was quite surprised by The Shape of Water bagging the 'Best Picture' award. 

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, but didn't really peg it as a 'Best Picture' winner. Incredible production design and directing, though. 

Kind of glad Daniel Day-Lewis didn't nab the 'Best Actor' award. 

I don't care for the Oscars. So much of it feels like a dog and pony show.

If something makes it onto the Oscar short list it'll almost always be crap.

All those award shows generally have nothing to do with reality.

I treat the Oscars just like all the other critics: I agree with some, disagree with others. I always try to be honest about my bias, so I try to take into account that other film lovers will have their own bias as well. For instance, I know that the Oscars generally tend to favour dramas whereas I prefer action and comedy. Doesn't mean they're wrong and I'm right: It just means we are going to disagree about the "best" films of the year.

What is important about the Oscars, imo, is that it is an acknowledgement of achievement and merit by people in the industry of people in the industry. Thus, I'm always happy when people like Guillermo del Toro and Jordan Peele get Oscars, because it means it will give them more authority and credit to start making the films they want to make, instead of the Hollywood films they are forced to make while working to earn recognition and respect in (from what I hear) is a very tough business.

Been no internet at work for the past 2 days as there's a problem with our Telkom line, so can't post a YouTube vid of the new Tomb Raider trailer. Just seen it on the Warner Bros Instagram page, it's going to be released on the 16th.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oscars should happen with a ten year moving window...2018 Oscars should be awarding movies from 2008...

Oscars should happen with a ten year moving window...2018 Oscars should be awarding movies from 2008...

Something like that would be fantastic, giving you a look at every decade's best films and allowing more categories since it only takes place every ten years.

Downsizing (2017) 5/10.

Completely mediocre movie suffering from an identity crisis. On paper it had all the ingredients for success: A decent cast, a fairly original script and the option to go in any direction with it. Unfortunately, instead of focusing on one or two things and doing them well this film tries to do everything so you are never sure what you are watching. It is at times a comedy, social commentary, drama, a love story, sci-fi disaster... Sadly, it tries so hard to do so many things that in the end it doesn't do any of them well and just leaves the viewer unsatisfied, wondering what was the point.