• Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interview with a vampire is on my watch list.

And I would much rather admit to watching the bodacious one fake riding some tubes, than him dancing dirty...

I liked Patrick Swayze. Never thought he was a great actor, just liked his roles, like Dalton in Roadhouse. Then I saw The Beast a few years ago on tv and was quite simply blown away. Best of all, Swayze's partner was Travis Fimmell, now starring in Vikings. 

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/01/sepinwall_on_tv_the_beast_revi.html

"You hear that Patrick Swayze has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and you wonder why on earth he would want to subject himself to the long hours and grueling workload of starring in a one-hour TV drama series that films in Chicago. He could be resting, or spending time with his family, or traveling, or doing anything but freezing his buns off near Lake Michigan.

And then you watch Swayze in "The Beast," and you realize that this is the best performance of his career - that the opportunity to play a part like this, and to play it as well as he is, may be fueling his ability to keep fighting against the cancer. And you realize, in an odd silver lining, that the cancer may, in turn, be fueling the performance. 

As Charles Barker, a veteran FBI agent who specializes in undercover work, Swayze looks gaunt. His face is deeply lined, his voice far more strained than when he sang "She's Like the Wind" on the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack. He still runs and gets into fights, and even does most of his own stunts, but all the effort seems to weigh on him more than before.

However, rather than serving as a distraction, Swayze's appearance works for the part. Barker has been doing his job for much too long, is burned out - and, depending on whom you talk to in the Chicago FBI office, as dirty as the crooks he puts away - and so, of course, he should look haggard. And the rasp in his voice, coupled with his native Texas drawl, makes him sound more than a bit like Tommy Lee Jones, which plays well in those scenes where he's ordering around rookie partner Ellis Dove (Travis Fimmel)."

• 2 weeks later...

post-44041-0-37169300-1464519523_thumb.jpeg

Palm Trees in the Snow

Spanish with English subtitles.

These days there's not many movies that hold my attention for even an hour, but this one did for close on 3 hours. If you're into skiet en donner, this might not be your thing. Not suitable for kids: nudity and violence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3202202/reviews

Watched it last night on Netflix. Very good... and long!

Hahaaa it is long but you almost don't feel it.