• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Lol. You know they did all that on purpose, right? Being a fan of William Gibson's Neuromancer I quite liked Chappie and the way they approached the debate of an AI evolving morality in a cyberpunk world. Was it Oscar-worthy? No. Was it amusing to watch? Yes!

My youngest son loved that movie.. for weeks after he spoke with a "chappie" accent...was quite a good accent too[emoji23] [emoji23]

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. You know they did all that on purpose, right? Being a fan of William Gibson's Neuromancer I quite liked Chappie and the way they approached the debate of an AI evolving morality in a cyberpunk world. Was it Oscar-worthy? No. Was it amusing to watch? Yes!

Depends on how you define Oscar-worthy...I annoyed The Star Tonight's full-time movie critic when I reviewed Straight Outta Benoni for the paper. I gave it 12 out of 10, and lamented that it didn't get an Academy nod. For best foreign language film.

My youngest son loved that movie.. for weeks after he spoke with a "chappie" accent...was quite a good accent too[emoji23] [emoji23]

My youngest walked sleepily into the kitchen one Sunday morning.

"Morning," I greeted.

"What up, f***mother," he greeted back, using Chappie's line.

We killed ourselves laughing.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Amusing maybe. But not as embarrassing as watching Chappie.

Ja the wife and I gave that one a miss.

Interesting, my movie tastes are often closer aligned to the nasty critics than to the mindless masses who like their formulaic action movies so I will still skip this one...

Sometimes you just have to make up your own mind though. I am not a big Superhero type movie fan and I also read quite a few negative reviews, but to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is what it is, light hearted entertainment and I think it did it very well.

Will Smith and Margot Robbie were excellent in my opinion and carried the show, some may argue saved the story, but I thought it was a great time filler movie, and judging by the full theaters and long lines at the ticket booths waiting to get in, so do many others. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/HSzx-zryEgM

Looking forward to this one. I have never been interested in Dr Strange so never read any of the comics. Always seemed too Hogwarts for my liking. But Derrickson is an interesting choice for director. Looks like some of his creepy vibes are rubbing off and deservedly so. Dr Strange could do with a bit of dark undertones.

• 3 weeks later...

here we go Marvel fans

I actually hummed the Avengers theme by mistake when they asked to hum the Star Wars theme. I think the clips title lead me to believe thats what they would ask, After they hummed star wars I was like. Oh Sorry, I thought you said Avengers.