XT brakes, which ones to buy ??

LegsEleven

Good day hubbers

Im reaching out to the tech savy hubbers out there that might be able to tell me what is the difference between XT brakes.

I am looking to get a new set of brakes for my MTB and narrowed it down to the XT version. I am probably going to order them online from the UK as they seem to be a bit cheaper. However, I noticed that there are different versions of the same brake available. i.e. M9000, M988 and M987, M785, all under the XT version.

Could some please enlighten me as to the difference between the models.

Thanks

Good day hubbers

Im reaching out to the tech savy hubbers out there that might be able to tell me what is the difference between XT brakes.

I am looking to get a new set of brakes for my MTB and narrowed it down to the XT version. I am probably going to order them online from the UK as they seem to be a bit cheaper. However, I noticed that there are different versions of the same brake available. i.e. M9000, M988 and M987, M785, all under the XT version.

Could some please enlighten me as to the difference between the models.

Thanks

Don't know the difference but the Shimano Tech Docs site is pretty cool http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp;jsessionid=rQ7dT1TQ2GNZBrYJNqN7Kcdw1q2cws80fnpQLDGd7Ftn46GhQ2k2!-1855925006?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051947&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&bmUID=krKBs5u give it a try.

Remember to add in the local customs vat and income tax etc. there is a thread with all this info around here somewhere. Search and ye shall find.

The XT stoppers are great, so also the SLX.

9000 are the latest and greatest, 987 and 988 are the previous series XT and XT Trail, and 785 is the one before that.

Make sure you add all the costs when comparing prices. Secondly consider getting SLX and save yourself some money. Thirdly check out easybike.co.za and cwcycles.co.za for prices.

Looking at that in detail, im luckily avoiding the shipping and and import duties as ill get a family member to bring them with on their next trip.

9000 are the latest and greatest, 987 and 988 are the previous series XT and XT Trail, and 785 is the one before that.

uh i tend to dissagree

9000 are dura-ace road brakes

987 and 988 are XTR not xt( shimano MTB equipment is broken down by series into the hundreds with some overlap. e.g.

deor= 61x

slx= 67x

xt= 7xx

xtr= 9xx)

in terms of price even if you are importing ( with the exception of a friend bringing stuff in a bag type scenario) easybike is the best price i have seen so far.

Edited by DaddyG

I think im going to look at the SLX version as well, from what Iv read, there doesnt appear to be a huge difference btw the SLX and XT.

uh i tend to dissagree

987 and 988 are XTR not xt( shimano MTB equipment is broken down by series into the hundreds with some overlap. e.g.

deor= 61x

slx= 67x

xt= 7xx

xtr= 9xx)

in terms of price even if you are importing ( with the exception of a friend bringing stuff in a bag type scenario) easybike is the best price i have seen so far.

eerrmmm...I tend to disagree M9000 is the new XTR

ST 9000 is the Dura ace.

uh i tend to dissagree

deor= 61x

slx= 67x

xt= 7xx

xtr= 9xx)

eerrmmm...I tend to disagree M9000 is the new XTR

ST 9000 is the Dura ace.

My bad. Not enough coffee this morning obviously...

Any of you guru's stock or know where to get matchmakers for running the new XT brakes with SRAM X9 shifters?

I see "http://problemsolversbike.com/" has some but would like to get some locally if possible.

Those look pretty unique, i'm sure you could make something though