Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

I have reinforced the rack , that thing is going nowhere . The bag slides of the rack and can attach to your backpack if you wanted to . All kit in the bag total weight is 3kg . To balance the bike I fitted the front bag , still need to add a little more weight in the front to get a nice balance when picking up the bike by the saddle . 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have reinforced the rack , that thing is going nowhere . The bag slides of the rack and can attach to your backpack if you wanted to . All kit in the bag total weight is 3kg . To balance the bike I fitted the front bag , still need to add a little more weight in the front to get a nice balance when picking up the bike by the saddle . 

Sounds good. Balance the bike according to it on your back too if you can. With this in mind, I'd suggest carrying at least a little camelbak - I found this helped to rest the bike on with long portages such as Lehanas. No backpack at all would mean a top tube bar right on your shoulders...

That is why I did this 

we're going to need some more details on that rack you've done, it looks like you've done your homework

Homemade?

Why not put a down brace to chainstays since it's a hardtail?

The camelbak mods will start this weekend . Photo was taken before the carrier supports down to the frame was completed . The frame got place for a normal carrier and I used those to attach supports to frame . The bag and carrier was sponsored by a hubber and was bought from CRC . Last night cut the tripmeter pick up cable and joined them with a waterproof connector , in case I need to remove the mapholder (which can be removed without any tools ) for if you need to turn the bike on it's head to work on something . 

That is why I did this 

Anthony Avidon used one of those racks one year, made it all the way to PA in one piece (loaded).

The camelbak mods will start this weekend . Photo was taken before the carrier supports down to the frame was completed . The frame got place for a normal carrier and I used those to attach supports to frame . The bag and carrier was sponsored by a hubber and was bought from CRC . Last night cut the tripmeter pick up cable and joined them with a waterproof connector , in case I need to remove the mapholder (which can be removed without any tools ) for if you need to turn the bike on it's head to work on something . 

ok, thought as much.....look forward to seeing the finished article.

PE provided a perfect RASA training ride this morning, wind, rain and obstacles, "only" missing THE COLD  :blush:

Its cold rainy and windy at my place. I am cowering inside and blame the hurt elbow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading through this forum topic has revived all the memories again of my failed and 1st attempt at RASA 2014. Yet! Having rehabilitated my injuries and worked through everything, I am back on the start line for more, only this time for the start of the Race to Rhodes 2015 (& then hopefully on to RASA 2016).

My 5c...

For those newbies out there attempting your first awe inspiring 'Freedom challenge, whether RASA or RTR; with the right fitness levels, right attitude and realistic expectations it will turn out to be a humbling and special experience!

'Freedom is tough, no doubt but for most I am sure, while out there racing the trail, you will encounter many opportunities that will test your resolves, test your ability to try keep things together when it seems to be going wrong. For some, you will encounter inner questions that will ask why you are out there doing this thing when things are not going to plan. 'Freedom will throw everything at you and and there are no guarantees how your days and nights will pan out. 'Freedom is a mental journey as it is physical.

When you do all you can, and you improvise, re-focus and adapt in your quest to keep moving forward, the rewards are immense, uplifting and personal. 'Freedom has the ability to ground you and humble you as you embark on this journey, meeting and sharing it with fellow participants, strangers in remote places, friends and family tracking you and supporting you and will most definitely leave you with memories for a lifetime.

Experienced Freedom Challengers and veterans like Marnitz Nienaber and the likes, one can gain valuable information and advice from them. Listen to them but also test and experiment in your training what works for you and what doesn't. Don't leave it to the last minute. We are all different.

To all; All the best with the remainder of the next 4mths training and prep - and remember, navigation is key!

Just reading through this forum topic has revived all the memories again of my failed and 1st attempt at RASA 2014. Yet! Having rehabilitated my injuries and worked through everything, I am back on the start line for more, only this time for the start of the Race to Rhodes 2015 (& then hopefully on to RASA 2016).

Nice one!

Sad I'm not going to be on the start line this year.

Hopefully I'll be involved in the Spring Ride and then back racing next year.

I will come and see the batches off from the start though  :thumbup:

Enjoy.

Nice one!

Sad I'm not going to be on the start line this year.

Hopefully I'll be involved in the Spring Ride and then back racing next year.

I will come and see the batches off from the start though  :thumbup:

Enjoy.

Ja I started a new job 3 weeks ago, so zero chance of getting the leave for Race to Rhodes, let alone RASA this year.

Bummed, but there's always next year.

Back again for some more !!!

Teamed up with Soutie Stuart Roos & Boertjie Ivor Jones, let's see what the mixed Boere and one Soutie bulldozing  train can achieve.....

This might be my last year racing, but I might be back in years to come for some more wonderful experiences !!!!

Just hope to see Lehana aka David Waddilove sweat on the trail, and if I can get in front of him I will definitely sow the seeds of love......and pain.....

:devil:  :devil:  :devil: 

All the best for the rest of you !!! 

There goes my June ... will be glued to read the Marnitz blogs. In anticipation of wet conditions at Race to Cradock (End March) I was reading a Marnitz blog from the 2009 race this morning and the muddy portage over Slaapkrantz/Bonthoek, a classic:

"Slaapkrans portage is 'n bliksem, dit begin gelydelik en bliksem dan reguit teen die berg op, reguit sê ek jou, niks se gezig zag nie, pyl reguit en om dit nog moeiliker te maak is dit met polisiehond modder besaai. Jy weet mos wanneer 'n polisie hond byt los hy nie, hy wurg die laaste bietjie energie uit jou uit en dit smaak my ek sleep 'n paar van die honde die berg uit....."

http://afreedomexperience.blogspot.com/2009/06/dag-6-chesney-world-moordenaarspoort.html

There goes my June ... will be glued to read the Marnitz blogs. In anticipation of wet conditions at Race to Cradock (End March) I was reading a Marnitz blog from the 2009 race this morning and the muddy portage over Slaapkrantz/Bonthoek, a classic:

"Slaapkrans portage is 'n bliksem, dit begin gelydelik en bliksem dan reguit teen die berg op, reguit sê ek jou, niks se gezig zag nie, pyl reguit en om dit nog moeiliker te maak is dit met polisiehond modder besaai. Jy weet mos wanneer 'n polisie hond byt los hy nie, hy wurg die laaste bietjie energie uit jou uit en dit smaak my ek sleep 'n paar van die honde die berg uit....."

http://afreedomexperience.blogspot.com/2009/06/dag-6-chesney-world-moordenaarspoort.html

Brings back horrible memories......

• I can take the cold easily -20 is a breeze
  • I don't mind the wind, we have got lots of it in the flat lands of Klerksdorp
  • I don't mind snow as long as it's not melting
  • I love the thundering rain when I'm not riding
  • and I hate Polisie Hond modder......

Archived