Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

the perfect person to pass on all the tips and tricks for the big one next year.

I have tips and tricks up to Rhodes. They're not cheap.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read up on the Spring Ride to Rhodes... Sheesh I am keen! Where can I get daily mileage and ascent from? I like the idea of riding with a 'guardian'. I might even enter this year...

This was for 2009; someone may have more recent stats?

day 1: pmb - minerva - hella-hella - mackenzie; 2616 m vertical ascent

day 2: mackenzie - centacow - ntsikeni; 2658 m vertical ascent

day 3: ntsikeni - masekala; 1756 m vertical ascent

day 4: masekala - queens mercy - malekonyane; 1016 of vertical ascent

day 5: malekonyane, tinana, vuvu; 1976 of vertical ascent

day 6: vuvu-lehana-rhodes; 1546 m vertical ascent

I might be the guardian - unlucky for you  :clap:

You would ride away from me in the first twenty minutes.... I would be riding guardian-less for the rest of the way!  My speed and ability are what make me afraid to enter something like this. I just think that I am not good enough.

You would ride away from me in the first twenty minutes.... I would be riding guardian-less for the rest of the way!  My speed and ability are what make me afraid to enter something like this. I just think that I am not good enough.

Best way to find out is to recce some of the early sections out of PMB and past Umkomaas during the winter months. See how you feel after a full day in the saddle with a backpack. And maybe even an overnight stop for fun (Sat/Sun riding).

Due to personal circumstances I won't be able to enter any multi-day event this year, but I'm still very keen to see as much of the trail as possible in my own time. So if you want to join up, I'd be glad for some company.

Day 2, 3 and 5 where biaatches for me. 12+ hour days. (2014)

Ah, the memories. Loved every minute.

Best way to find out is to recce some of the early sections out of PMB and past Umkomaas during the winter months. See how you feel after a full day in the saddle with a backpack. And maybe even an overnight stop for fun (Sat/Sun riding).

Due to personal circumstances I won't be able to enter any multi-day event this year, but I'm still very keen to see as much of the trail as possible in my own time. So if you want to join up, I'd be glad for some company.

I'd be happy to take you guys for a day or two on the trail...

Nope - that's the point of the guardian. I'd go at everyone's pace and make sure we don't get too lost.

Will make for some great days on the trail.

The biggest hurdle IMO is being able to spend long hours in the saddle. You don't need to be wildly fit or skillful.

PMB - Centacow

Centacow - Glen Edward

Glen Edward - Ongeluks Nek

Ongeluks Nek - Vuvu

Up and over to Rhodes for brunch...

:ph34r:

Well 6 hours of riding doesn't phase me. I am just not fast. I am relatively fit and ride on average 100km a week. It might not sound like much but my career prevents more.

Well 6 10 - 15 hours of riding doesn't phase me. I am just not fast. I am relatively fit and ride on average 100km a week. It might not sound like much but my career prevents more.

... and you're sorted  :thumbup: .

You'll never know.

No need to be fast. But you need to be able to ride all day. The days were long. Some mornings we started before sunrise and finished after dark. That was way back when the supported Ride2Rhodes was still in winter - you should have a bit more daylight in spring.

It's SERIOUSLY some of the BEST riding you'll ever do.

Just enter - then you'll have to make time for training. 

2014 spring ride

day 1 2939

day 2 2543

day 3 2055 i did get a bit lost/creative

day 4 990

day 5 1839 I got proper lost after tinana Mission

Day 6 2300 detour route more climbing but better rolling

2014 spring ride

day 1 2939

day 2 2543

day 3 2055 i did get a bit lost/creative

day 4 990

day 5 1839 I got proper lost after tinana Mission

Day 6 2300 detour route more climbing but better rolling

day 1 8h/10H

day 2 7,5H/ 9H

day 3 8H/10H detract one for getting lost

day 4 5h 7H this is a recovery day we took it very leisurly

day 5 7,5H/10H detract at least one for getting lost

day 6 7 H/8H

first time is my riding time second my total time including pick nick pictures etc for the day.

I am quite fit and pushed reasonably hard on dat one and two though I didn't bring the fasted bike in the world. Guide ill adapt to your speed. Day 1,2 and 3 I came in quite a bit before guided group(hour to hours) day 4 and 6 more or less with them, day 5 after them.

We semi intensively cruised we didn't ride full tilt flat out. Though don't underestimate its long make sure your bib's shoes and backpack are comfortable. Although I believe almost all is ridable(see my older post) best get shoes you can walk in I.e. toering shoes no racing carbon shoes.

Archived