Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

not sure if this was posted before, but incase you missed it and want to learn more mapskills..get on the blower asap to Feesh

Hi Guys, 

There is a free Navigation Workshop taking place on 23 April from 6-9pm at Sport Science Institute in Cape Town. This workshop will be specifically aimed at first-time Freedom Challenge riders with focus on the Nav skills required for Freedom but it may be of interest to other novice Adventure Racers out there who want to learn a bit more about map and compass navigation using South African 1:50 000 topo maps. If you are interested or want to find out more then please email freedommaps@live.co.za 

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dirt rider what rear rack is that? It looks great!

A few months ago I made my own rack on the back and posted the result on my blog . Then a lady friend of mine contacted me and said although my effort looks awesome why don't I just come around and pick up her never used backpack she got from CRC . Really awesome piece of kit for touring , we will see how it behaves in the challenge .

Any recommendations for the most comfy MTB saddle for these types of hours on the bike?

The one you've been riding on...

Any recommendations for the most comfy MTB saddle for these types of hours on the bike?

Selle SMP PLUS !!!!!

For the better ride go wide !!!

watch out for this guy

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/077/b/e/Hyena_Crossing_by_screwbald.jpg

I can smell Lehana.......

Really want to get marnitz nervous by calling him a top contender!

Between him and tim they have 5 finishes under 16 days...no one else mentioned has even done it in under 20.

Me ? the sweeper Hyena, a top contender ???? NEVER

I'm on a worst case 17 Day plan, planning in reverse this year.......

I might get nervous when you get on the bike !!!!

Me ? the sweeper Hyena, a top contender ???? NEVER

I'm on a worst case 17 Day plan, planning in reverse this year.......

I might get nervous we you get on the bike !!!!

i always say..next year

Selle Italia Yutaak Saddle 

post-7930-0-20372900-1429788518_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of Dark Horses hiding :

• David Waddilove
  • Johann Rissik
  • Beat Jegerlehner
  • Liehann Loots
  • Robbie McIntosh
  • Arno Crous
  • Jacques Swart
  • Ivor Jones
  • Stuart Roos
  • and then there's Fish Visser lurking on the side line....... 

Luckily everyone know's I'm the Nag Apie at night and the sweeper Hyena at day, I'm not fast only meticulously persistent..........

Too much honour for me, I would add Fjord Jordaan he's ridden me stukkend and he was out of shape. Don't see him win but a 3-4 spot if he doesn't mess up the navigation must be possible.

Does anyone have advice regarding a simple, robust, wired bike computer that accomodates a 29r wheel circumference (i.e. about 2260mm) ?

I bought two Ryder 9 function computers (one to carry as spare)  and they can't be programmed for a wheel circumference over 2199mm.......?

Thanks

OK, now it's the turn of the lights...

I bought a Surge Batwing, nice light light, nice gentle light for "deurnagdiens" but after 7 hrs on Low (which is a nice intensity for long hours) the light said bye bye. (battery flat)

Problem is the suppliers imply that it can do 12 hours on low. 4kers!

Advice please comrades ;)

Extreme lights ftw sir. Try and see if you can't get them to supply a better battery?

Thanks, that's a good idea because I like the Batwing's small size, just the battery isn't big enough.

Does anyone have advice regarding a simple, robust, wired bike computer that accomodates a 29r wheel circumference (i.e. about 2260mm) ?

I bought two Ryder 9 function computers (one to carry as spare)  and they can't be programmed for a wheel circumference over 2199mm.......?

Thanks

Most of these things will allow you to put a custom wheel size into it , at least my R95.00 Topeak does .

Archived